My dad just made.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
his very first casserole. :bravo:

He was so proud of himself he called to tell me. He'd never made pasta before so he had to follow the directions on the box very carefully (his words). :smile:

It was hard not to laugh at how innocent he is in the kitchen. Definitely a man of his generation.

Anyway, he made a Reuben Sandwich casserole! It sounded wonderul. Because of his new found cooking skills he's planning on casseroles for next year's cook off.

He also taught himself (didn't want help) to iron his flannel shirts today. Said he can now move on to his cordorouy pants.

While I miss my mother horrendously, I'm enjoying seeing my father bloom. :flower:

stepmonster

My dad did the same thing too!! He would call to tell me about beef stew and jello!!! and laundry!!! He was so proud of himself.
It is good to see them doing these things, isn't it?

Sue C

I sure understand that generation. My dad did not even know how to make himself a sandwich. My mom always make them for him. However, in my case, my dad passed away first.

Congrat's to your dad. Glad to see he's cooking and ironing! Heck, I don't even iron my husband's flannel shirts. They go from the dryer to the hangers in the closet.

Sue

Lothlorien

Aww, how sweet.

My aunt and my uncle separated some years back when he was in his 60's. I also got a kick out of hearing how much he was cooking. He really enjoys it now.

How special to see your dad "grow" some now.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
How great your dad is cooking! I remember as a kid having one of the few dads who did a fair amount of cooking even when it wasn't on the grill-he even did his share of laundry too.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
That sounds delicious, Linda. Will you please ask your Dad to join and post his recipe? :smile:

Suz

Janna

How nice to hear, Linda. I'm sure that eases your mind as well that your father is doing a good job taking care of himself.

I'd like the recipe too!

Janna

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Gee, at the rate your Dad's going, he's going to be a gourmet in no time. :smile:

I'd like the recipe, too. Sound delicious.

dreamer

it was fascinating to me to watch and help my mother in law and my first mother in law both learn how to drive, how to write checks for the bills, how to mow the lawn and rake and shovel, too. Neither had ever done any of those things till they no longer had a husband.

BeckyW

Congratulations Linda's dad!!!
My dad is 82 now. Other than heart problems, he is in reasonably good shape. He will not try to do any of those things for himself anymore. He is an excellent cook, actually taught my mom how to cook, when they first married. He taught me too starting when I was about 10.
After my mom passed away seven years ago, he became the take out king (probably contributed much to his heart problems) and absolutely refuses to go near a washer and dryer. My mom used to fuss because he wouldn't let her do laundry after he retired. He won't even stir food in a pot on the stove and actually told me one time "I am not a maid, I will not take those clothes out of the dryer when it stops." So I do it all for him. I don't really mind it but I do miss him being so independent.
It's like he lost his all his know how when mom passed. He will occasionally tell me how to cook something the way he likes it if I keep after him long enough but that's about it.
It is sad to me because it seems like he is volunteering to give up some of his independance.

dreamer

I think my husband will end up that way, Becky. When I am sick, he absolutely refuses to even make toast for himself, and when the kids were very little, if I was sick, he would not feed them. We have been together 23 years and husband has never ever done any part of laundry, dishes, vacuming, dusting, floor washing, and if he gets hungry he gets in car and goes out. Or calls for delivery. He has never written a si ngle check, I do not think he has even glanced at the bills, not even once. I am not sure what my husband would do if I were gone. Well, yeah, I am - he would have to go to a nursing home.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
It's made me proud of my father to watch/hear him take on new challenges.

I've had this inner fear that he will die of a broken heart, given the love & commitment my parents have had over the last 55 plus years.

While it is a fact of life, many times, my therapist pointed out that if there is an interest in taking on new things, learning to do what was done for you in the past - it's a good indicator of how strong, how well the person left behind will do.

Thank ladies, I'm encouraged that Dad is taking on new things in his life. He continues his life's journey with-o his life partner. That is good.

"A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short." Andre Maurois

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Linda, it should make you proud. I'm sure your Mom is proud, too. It's really a good thing that he is willing to learn and adapt. Does he have other interests that get him outside of the home? A breakfast group? Poker buddies? Foursome at the link?

Suz

ediwiz

Linda,

I am so glad that your dad is attempting new challenges. Watch out though, my dad took a Chinese cooking class through our community ed a year or two after my mother passed away (we secretly think that it was to meet women LOL). He was the only man in the class and got a lot of attention from the "younger women". Really encourage him. Community Ed, if there is one where he lives is a great thing. My dad actually sits on their advisory board representing senior citizens, he also paints, writes, gardens and because of his involvement in Community Ed was asked to be the Chairman of the Board for a non-profit that funds programs through the Community Ed. They set up the non-profit to allow people to give money to specific programs rather than it all going into a slush fund and most of it funding sports. There is life beyond sports. Ok, my dad is a bit of rabble rouser even at 86.

Sherry

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Suz, Dad will be taking to the links this coming spring/summer. Sounds as though he will be joining a league or two. In the meantime, my older brother & sister both take Dad out every other Friday to a golf dome & then a fish fry. Two of his favorite activities.

He'll also spend countless hours in his garden/yard this spring & summer.

As he isn't retiring until February of 2008 (the man is 78), he has daily contact with the "outside world.

Sherry, I can see my dad doing the same!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Linda, your Dad sounds like a pretty amazing fellow who has a pretty amazing family. What a blessing.

Suz