MY day of reckoning...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe this is more a Healthful Living post...

Time for my yearly ob/gyn checkup today. The last two years they gave me a lab slip to get a CBC and make sure everything is o.k. Due to a myriad of excuses (the biggest one being difficult child 2's instability at the time, followed by issues with husband) I never got around to going in for the lab work.

Well, this year I WILL follow through (there, you've all heard me say it)! And I'm fairly certain my cholesterol and glucose numbers will NOT be pretty. That's just the reality of the abuse I've done to myself -- and I know it's myself to blame.

I am beginning to feel more motivated the past month. Even before husband was confronted with his weight issues. Maybe it's that difficult child 2 is doing better than he has in a long time, or that there's no big issue hanging over my head right now, or that it's the end of the school year, or seeing myself in pictures from difficult child-bro's wedding... or all of it.

I am trying to be more mindful of myself. Hopefully it will lead to a healthier lifestyle, too.

lovemysons

Good for you for taking your health more seriously.
Yikes...I better get on the ball too, I have been told by my psychiatric doctor to see a general doctor to get blood work done for over a year now and haven't done so.

Why is it so easy for some of us to neglect ourselves all the while taking care of everyone else?

Good job gcvmom.
Tammy

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Why is it so easy for some of us to neglect ourselves all the while taking care of everyone else?

Because life with difficult child's is just plain overwhelming at times! :faint:

Thanks for the encouragement, though! I really hope I'm coming out of the tunnel now.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Are you so sure you are to blame?
You could read your previous post and make a list and give it to husband! ;) JK

I know the feeling, I finally went to the OB after many many many years, since N was born!
I was expecting all kinds of crazy things, I made it a double visit to the family doctor as well.

My CBC levels were all good!?!?

Then the OB mentioned breast exams and colon exams in the future. I don't know if I will be going back this year!

Good for you though, we do as Mom's forget about ourselves.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The checkup went fine. No big surprises, and no big lecture -- I told them what I'm not doing and what I know I should be doing so I beat them to the punch. ;) I'll go for the fasting blood draw on Monday. Mammo will be in July.

And I'm patting myself on the back because I chose to park a 1/2 mile away in another medical plaza and walk to the building... took the stairs up to the pedestrian bridge, too. :) So not only did I get some exercise, but I also saved a few bucks for the parking they're now charging at the medical pavilion.

The NP who saw me has an amazingly similar situation with her kids, who are very close in age to mine. Oldest has straightforward ADHD and does great on stimulants, but is also starting to deal with hormonal issues and possibly depression. Middle boy has something that LOOKS like ADHD, but just isn't responding to traditional medications for that. Youngest has no issues (yet). And she's got Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) from trying to deal with all of that and life in general. The similarities are pretty amazing. I gave her the name of our current neuropsychologist since her psychiatrist isn't even sure what's going on and they're both wracking their heads over kid #2.

I'm finding that in this world, support can come from the least expected places -- and you should never turn down an offer for help or understanding from anyone, nor should you ever hesitate to offer it to someone who clearly needs it... you just never know.

If our kids have appointment's we drop what we're doing and go, but for our own selves, we never have time. Everyone who is reading this and behind on their Dr. stuff, jump on the bandwagon and make your appointments now. I have 1 day only off work, June 19th after school ends and before summer school starts- on that day I'm having a colonoscopy , then at 1:30 going to the gyn. Fun day off!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh my gosh! Upallnight, that would be waaaay to much below-the-waist fun in one day for me! I hope you have someone who will drive you to your afternoon appointment! I was pretty wiped out after my scope. Just wanted to sleep most of the day (they have to give me an extra oomph of sedation because I wouldn't hold still for my upper GI and tried to pull the scope out! And for my lower scope, I woke up in the middle and was in a bit of pain :( )

But you are absolutely right about moms tending to neglect their own care over that of their family.

I'm vowing to TAKE my multivitamins, TAKE my calcium, GO for my walks and WATCH closely how I feed myself. No one's going to do it for me!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Glad the check-up went well. Good for you for parking and walking! I have to reschedule my mammo, I just realized it was scheduled for yesterday.