Need Support Badly - Scared

susiestar

Roll With It
I got one of those calls that no one ever wants to get.

They may have found something on my mammogram today.

I have an enlarged and VERY painful lymph node on the right side. Sometimes it hurts to the touch, other times even moving my arm hurts. My doctor wanted a mammogram done before she took a look at it, so I went today. I have also had 2 occasions where that side got hot and sore and one area got hard, rather like an abscess or infection. On both occasions the doctor that I was seeing (not current doctor because I changed) had me use hot compresses and told me to wait until it went away. It is one reason I changed doctors.

I am scared. The nurse did say that it could just be normal tissue in the way (not sure how), but she also said the radiologist was 'confused' by something he saw.

I really, really, really hate when a doctor says he is 'confused'. I guess that is why they are 'practicing' medicine,Know what I mean??

I go in for more tests on Thurs at 11:30. Mammogram and maybe an ultrasound,maybe more. The very good thing is that they read them and give you results while you are there. And I have a fun even to attend in the evening, so that is a good thing too. It will help me focus on the positive.

I really appreciate any support right now. This scares me.

Lil

Susie, First and foremost - :hugs:

I had a scare two years ago. I went to my mamo expecting to have an all clear. My self-exams were always just fine as best I can tell, but I'm one of those women with "bumpy" breasts. So it was shocking when I was told they wanted a second. The second came and went and they told me to see a surgeon for a biopsy. I swear, I spent more time feeling my boobs that anyone needs to, wondering what it was they saw I couldn't feel. Turned out to be microcalcifications, apparently fairly normal, unless the cluster.

I was 5 lbs too fat for the stupid machine for a needle biopsy so we did the whole deal in the operating room. Turned out to be nothing, but it was so scary, so I have some idea of what you are going through right now. But as I'm sure you know, there can be many reasons for your symptoms and not all lumps and bumps are caused by cancer. Sometimes doctors just need to rule things out and they can't unless they take a closer look.

BusynMember

Susie, I spent one day iin the hospital having, in this order:
1/regular mammo
2/called back in for bigger mammo
3/ultrasound
4/sonogram (yes, both)
5/biopsy
6/consult with NP who said it could well be cancer

This was all in one day.

I told the NP I waned a masectomy no matter what the results were, but everyone seemed to think it was early cancer, including the radiologist.

I got a call five days later (five long days) that it had come back NORMAL!!!!!

Thee had been changes in my breast though so I opted for an elective masectomy and I am going to have recon whenever I want it and I'm so glad I had the surgery, but I was so sure I had cancer and so was everyone else.

Don't assume the worst and, even if it is, cancer surival rates for breast cancer are high. Hang in there. We are all in your corner, holding your hand.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hey Susie,
One good thing is that it hurts as that usually means infection. I had lymphoma 22 years ago and I remember the Dr. pushing on the lymph node in my neck asking me over and over are you sure it doesn't hurt.
I know how scary the waiting and wondering can be. The important thing is you are having it checked out.
Just try to take those slow deep breaths.
I'm praying that it's just an infection. Let us know.
((HUGS)) to you.............

TerryJ2

:group-hug:I agree with Tanya. If it hurts, it's either a lymph node or an infection or both.
But it could be blocking something else behind it.
I'm sorry that the doctor said she was confused. Not a good word to use. "The doctor would like more information" would be nice.
Ahem.
Oftentimes, science gets in the way of a good bedside manner.
I've had breast cancer. I was very lucky--it was microscopic. Several other people in my family have had it. The good news is, this is 2015 and it is very treatable.
Warm hugs coming your way. I hate the waiting part.

Nomad

Staff member
Yes, a very good friend of mine had similar symptoms and it was an infection. Good thoughts sent your way. I like the idea of getting an ultrasound. Might tell more and also like it as opposed to multiple/repeated mammograms. Keep us posted. Deep breaths.

Calamity Jane

Of course you're scared - who wouldn't be? We're here to help and support you, just as you've always done for all of us here. Cyber hugs going out to you; let us know how things go when you can.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
HUGS sweetheart. About 5 years ago my now-92-year-old grandmother had a radical mastectomy... And sailed right through it. That said, it is probably nothing. But it if IS something - it's extremely treatable, if frightening.

Make sure they know about your other health issues, because that could affect what they do.

LOVE YOU!

Wiped Out

Staff member
It's normal to be scared. Several times I have been called back in because of something they have seen in the mammogram. Of course, each time I have been worried especially since my mom did have breast cancer at one point (she ended up deciding on a mastectomy and never did have to have chemo or radiation).

The ultrasounds have always come back normal but for awhile I had to get mammograms every 6 months. Turns out I have very lumpy breasts.

I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Susie, sending warm wishes and prayers for optimal health. My understanding is also that if it hurts like yours does, it may be more likely to be an infection.......in any case, it is scary........holding positive healthy thoughts for you.....let us know what happens....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((hugs)))) and many prayers going up.

That it hurts, often turns hot on that side ect, sounds more like infection than cancer. So don't jump to conclusions. doctors "I'm confused" remark can mean anything from something totally innocent to whatever. They need to train them better to keep lips zipped while their brains sort information.

I haven't popped into the board in ages. I'm not sure why I did tonight, but maybe someone gave me a nudge so I could comfort a very good friend.

Scent of Cedar *

Reading right here along with you and everyone.

In cyber reality, we will all be in the corner at the bottom of your purse the day you go in.

:O)

Cedar

P.S. I agree that this sounds like infection. Whatever it is, it will be good to know. Think about it one step at a time, Susie. Use the same skills we have all had to learn when we are afraid for our kids to help yourself stay balanced through this time.

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change
the Courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

susiestar

Roll With It
Now I have to wait until Monday. I woke up iwth the migraine a lot worse and just as I was leaving I started to throw up. So I had to reschedule because they won't see you at the hospital if you have gotten ill in the last 24 hrs. Soooo annoying! I hate this migraine. I wish I could just chop my head off.

Thanks for all the support, I truly appreciate it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This sounds a lot more like an infection of some sort than cancer, though I'm certainly not a doctor.

I had a scare back in 92 with a chain of enlarged lymph nodes in the right side of my neck. They were slightly sore, but hard, and stuck to the surrounding tissue.

My doctor freaked and sent me to a surgeon to have largest "sentinel" (top of the chain) node removed for biopsy. She was quite sure it was lymphoma o some sort.

I had the node removed, and then the fun started. The pathologist had never seen anything like it. It was sent to the CDC. They had never seen anything like it. It was sent to Walter Reeds Infectious and Tropical diseases department. By this time, 3 months had passed and the rest of the nodes were gaily growing away and I was starting to run low grade fevers and lose weight.

Then, word came back from Reed. It wasn't cancer. It was a mycobacterium infection. Somehow, while traipsing around in Eastern Europe's wooods and mountains after the Border had opened, I had picked up a soil bacterium related to TB via a small wound or scratch on my neck. Could've been a bug bite.

A 6 month course of the same antibiotics used to treat drug resistant TB cleared up the infection. My only reminders of my cancer scare are a slight hollow where the node was. a 4" scar on neck, and a tendency for that part of my neck to swell if I get anything that causes swollen glands, because the lymphatic drainage on that side is messed up due to the missing gland and the damage done to the other glands by the infection.

BUT, my lymph nodes did the job they were meant to do: they prevented a potentially deadly infection from spreading to the rest of my body, sacrificing themselves in the process.

I do have to say that the anti biotics used to treat an infection like that make on sicker than a dog, though.

Susie, I sympathise with you on the waiting, that's the hardest part. But my gut feeling is that you'll be OK whatever this turns out to be. I am sending strength, hugs and good thoughts your way.

ctmom05

Susie - I hope the migraine has become a thing of the past; perhaps the stress about your health brought something on?

In any event, wishing you the best