robinm1922

One day at a time
Hello,
I am still playing phone tag with the Neruodc to schedule testing. Up until a few days ago I didn't think difficult child would be able to test because of DEX (d for dumb) not giving permission. Ex in laws put enough pressure on him that he gave his consent!
Now difficult child's psychiatrist wants to change difficult child's medications. She is on Celexa, it was up-ed to 30 mg from 20 with no change. The psychiatrist told me if there wasn't any change then he would switch her to Welbutrin to help with what we suspect is ADHD, the Welbutrin will help both. All this was discussed before we knew she would be testing.

My long winded question is - if she is on Welbutrin will that "mask" any issues she is having? For those of you that have had your difficult children tested did they do the tests without medications?
Welbutrin, I don't think, is something you start and stop like Adderall would be, it is still an antidepressant just with an added stimulant.
I don't want to have her psychiatrist switch her if it will give false information, then again I don't want her to fail school in the process!
Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
As always thanks!

klmno

My son had just started his first AD about 2-3 weeks prior to his testing. They told me it wouldn't effect the results and would be indicative of how he'd be at school on the medication. But, in my gut, I tend to think that testing while on no medications would be the best indicator of what is going on with the child.

BusynMember

I don't know, but we had my son on his medications when he tested and they still got it right. When he was re-tested without medications two years later, he did the same and tested with the same issues. Having said that, at times certain medications can drastically change behavior, for t he good or the worse, and mask things (I have taken medications since I was 23). Also, neuropsychologist testing is not just about school. It's all around behavior. I personally would not change medications until I had the neuropsychologist evaluation done. I just don't trust pediatricians with medication or knowing what is wrong with our kids, other than to diagnose the obvious things, like strep throat. My own experiences with pediatricians diagnosing have not been very positive and my current pediatrician refuses to do it, saying "it's not my field." I would be leery of two antidepressants. Heck, many kids can't even take one without losing it. And what if it's not ADHD? That's the usual first diagnosis. for most kids and it often turns out to not be right or to have a co-morbid with it. JMO

robinm1922

One day at a time
Hello Mid,
The psychiatrist I was referring to is her Psychiatrist not her general doctor. Her general doesn't do her medication management, I wouldn't want her reg doctor to do that for her. The medications are too iffy for me to trust anyone other than her psychiatrist. I know I mentioned school as the main reason and at this point that is a huge consideration for starting the new medications. If there isn't a big turn around with her grades she will fail, that alone has caused her to go into a big depression. She is putting a lot of stress on her self right now. I just want to figure out what is going on and help her make it right.

I was more concerned on masking results and right now it doesn't sound like that would be an issue.
The Celexa she is taking is not doing what I think it should be doing for her. She is not acting like she did when she was on Zoloft so it tells me it doesn't pack the same punch.
Her psychiatrist is leaning toward the Welbutrin because he thinks it will take care of both issues the ADHD and the depression. She sees her psychiatrist this week I will talk to him at that time and see what he wants to do.

Thanks for all the great advise it is always helpful!