NO one should have to live like this.

wakeupcall

FlusteredStepdad, I wish I had the answers. I guess if I had the answers I wouldn't be here in the first place. My difficult child has never been hospitalized, but he's not as old as your difficult child yet. Please tell difficult child's mother, I understand.

Yes, husband stayed home late for several months and it helped, but.....I feel sooo guilty making him miss work. He still leaves a little later than he should, but all that's doing now is the TWO of them are at it, as well as me! No thanks!

difficult child's diagnosis are listed in my signature, Nancy. I keep asking the doctors if he's bipolar and they don't want to diagnosis him that yet. What was that syndrome I just heard about that is similiar to bipolar? Mmmmmmm.....I can't think now what it was. That is EXACTLY what difficult child sounds like. He doesn't have the extremes that warrant bipolar, but close.

It's so confusing and I feel like such a whiner, but this is throwing me into a deep depression and I'm already on antidepressants!

Pamela,

Nobody wanted to diagnosis difficult child as bipolar for years, although I had insisted on it. Finally his therapists in Michigan (we are now in Minnesota) gave in and agreed. It has opened so many doors for us. Unfortunately my belief (father has been child psychotherapist for 40 years and agrees)is that he will soon be labeled as a Psychopath.

Minnesota has had the best results in terms of help for us. We have been here 8 months and since we have arrived have received SSI, a respit care, BHA, a mentor and several therapists and case workers that work very closely with us on a daily basis.

Lies and stealing have become the worst along with the disrectful behavior. Day Hospital is finally starting to see the real difficult child. FINALLY!!

Also Mom will be joining today and she will see that she is not alone!!

wakeupcall

I'm so glad your wife will see that she's not alone. It helped me immensely when I joined many years ago. Although I'm very excited and anxious to go to MA tomorrow to visit our daughter and my grandchildren, difficult child has put a huge damper on it today. He gets over the argument almost immediately, and I carry it around for hours and hours. I just can't shake it like he can.

Doesn't the possibility of a diagnosis of psychopath scare you to death? My difficult child lies when he doesn't even need to lie, so I don't believe a word he says. He hasn't been stealing lately that I know of, but we've already been through some of that. When he shoplifted at Walmart a few months ago, I made him take back the $.79 article and give it to the store manager who then called the security to talk to him. I think it has helped for the time being. BUT I took him to the police dept. a couple of years before that and it didn't seem to phaze him.

I wish I knew what would help our difficult children.....and us.

Liahona

I'm not an expert, but the new medications might take more than 2 weeks for you to see a difference. Sorry, not what you want to hear when you're being hurt.

wakeupcall

emilyislost, I said the two weeks because the doctor wants blood work in 15 days. I just assumed the medication would have had time to work by then. I don't know much about mood stabilizers...time for me to learn, I guess. Thanks for letting me know it may take longer........I'll try to hang on!!

Mood stabilizers have been extremely helpful for our difficult child. However, he is a growing boy and as his body changes, so does his physiology and metabolism. It seems that the medication changes only last for 6-9 months and then it's time for a new mix.

Yes Pamela, a psycopath diagnosis is extremely scary. However, I see the fact that he has no remorse, no empathy and very little feeling (emotional or physical). Our difficult child also lies in all situations and no matter what you ask him. He can do something right in front of us and tell us he had nothing to do with it.

We recently came back from a trip in Oklahoma. While on our drive back, my wife stopped to use a restroom at a gas station, I was sleeping. difficult child went in after she did saying he had to go to bathroom. He was back in the car before my wife was. An hour down the road he started playing with a keychain flashlight that wasn't his. He claimed he bought it. He had no money at all on him and we knew it. It was just very unfortunate that we didn't remember the name of the gas station or we would have turned right around.

dreamer

I forgot to say earlier- we have a medications by mail thing, too. SOmetimes it is not a problem to wait for medications. SOmetimes it is. WHen time is important, (such as a new start up medication) I always ask my doctor for samples and explain it takes as long as 6 weeks for new medications to begin to arrive by me ----very often the doctor will give me medications to ride out that wait time, if it is for a new medication. ANd I take the Rx and send it out immediately to be filled.
Sometimes the doctor does not have samples. Then I ask for a seperate additional Rx that I can take and fill in person, even if I have to pay for it myself. (depends on how expensive the medications is and also depends if the need is that urgent) So I still have the one Rx to mail in but have medication coverage right away. (this is a problem, this medication by mail, especially for antibiotics, and pain relief medications or for anytnig that was an emergency situation)

I am afraid Lithium is a medication that does take quite awhile to build up in the system and begin working.............maybe you could ask Janna---- once it did begin to work in her son, I think she saw GREAT results.- but yes it took awhile.

WHether doctor gives a formal diagnosis of bipolar or not, mood disorder is a more general term often used. ANyway, lithium is a first choice of many docs for a BiPolar (BP) diagnosis, anyway, so even if they did change the diagnosis, the medication would most likely still be the same.

I definelty would NOT feel guilty over having husband rearrange his life.......when we HAD children, I rearranged my life to breastfeed..........I doubt my husband felt guilty that I had to change major things in my life to meet the needs of our kids. ANd then when my husband got so sick, oh boy did we have to rearrange our lives entirely. I had been a stay at home mom, alas our private disability coverage went bankrupt and I had little choice but to reenter the work world, (even thomyearning cpacity was one tenth of my dhs) entirely totally from scratch. It happens. If your son had a different type of disability or diagnosis, maybe one that required physical strength you do not have, would you still feel guilty if your husband had to make adjustments required to help care for the son of both of you collectively? SOmetimes our roles within our family units do not get to stay the same role we originally expected them to be. I have always wondered if thats why it takes 2 people to create a baby? becuz it sometimes takes rearrangeing and flexibility to meet the needs, and between 2 people, they might have to work together, pool resources, knowledge, abilities etc to get the job done? SOmetimes along the way you have to redivide out different roles in different ways to make things work a little better.

I do not think my husband felt guilty he could not nurse our children, and I did not feel guilty when my husband taught my son how to .use a urinal, LOL. We all have different gifts, different abilities, etc.........think outside the box.
MAYBE the lithobid will work as well for your child as I think, IIRC, it did for Dylan.

Kylesmylife

Hello to all, This is my first post but my husband posted today. FlusteredStepdad. I have just started to look at the postings and am feeling better the more I see. I have known I was not alone for a long time but this is the first time we have found anything out there for us to talk with others that realy do understand.
As you can see from my husband postings, Im haveing a very hard time with things right now. My difficult child is getting harder and harder to handle each day. He just turned 12 and it seems he thinks he knows more now then he did the day b4 his b-day. I look forward to getting to know some of you better and I thank god that my husband found this site. He is my rock, and whan he see me start to get bad he will do anything to make it better. I love him so much for that. I know one day things might get better but until then I'm just happy to have found a place to talk with others.

Hanging-On

Welcome Whymylittleman,

Glad you found us. I can tell you that I've not only learned alot, but these people here have helped me through some very hard times, that I thought I could never come through. Welcome again.

wakeupcall

kylesmylife, it's nice to meet you....welcome to our little part of the world! Stick around, there are lots of great, supportive people here to lend a hand with suggestions on almost anything you could think of to bring up. I'm sorry you're struggling, but most of us have been there and we DO know how your heart hurts. You have one great hubby there who is concerned enough to be a part of our board....he's a keeper! Welcome

neednewtechnique

My difficult child is 12, and she is the same way, the trash talk, violent agressive behavior, and try to restrain her so she doesn't hurt someone or herself?? She gets even madder and LOOK OUT!!!!

Her counselor has given us some very helpful hints on how to manage these high stress situations on both the emotional and physical side of things.

On the emotional side of things, she says the number one thing she has taught us to remember with ODD children is NOT TO TAKE IT PERSONALLY, and you must NEVER EVER let them see that they have hurt you. They WANT to push your buttons and get a reaction. One of the most difficult things is that when they aren't raging or being "oppositional" you STILL must NOT let your guard down. You have to be very careful what you say to them or let them know that you feel, because every little thing you say could at some point or another be used as ammunition against you in a rage.

She has also given us some hints and tips on the times that they get violent and start kicking or swinging, and how to restrain them, and still be soothing them at the same time. Most of these techniques require two people, because if your difficult child is in a rage and you have ahold of arms, they will start kicking, and if you go after their legs, they will start swinging. She also mentioned that if you are alone, a large blanket can come in handy, because wrapping them up will take away part of their leverage, plus it will provide some cushion for you, and also being "swaddled" can be a security thing that will help calm them. She said that the instant you take ahold of them (violent or nonviolent), or restraint is necessary, you must lower your tone of voice to no more than a whisper, and speak gently in their ear, or sing to them. The "blanketing" as she calls it, can also be used for NoN violent rages, as it can still have the same calming effects for your child, plus if they do decide to unexpectedly start kicking or swinging, you are already prepared.

We have a bit of an advantage, as my difficult child's psychotherapist used to be a crisis intervention worker, and these are things they taught her and trained her to do when she was called to a house, and also meant to train parents how to use this technique themselves.

As for how to handle the disrespect and hatefulness, that I am not sure anyone EVER gets used to. Somehow, though, you must develop a sense of control to a point that you don't lose it until after they aren't around anymore. Our therapist has chosen to meet with my husband and I on a regular basis, during our daughter's regular sessions, some weeks she will split the hour in half and spend half with our daughter and half with us. This has been VERY GOOD for us, because it gives us a chance to talk about our feelings towards these things. I have told my husband before, as well as our therapist, that by the time we get her behavioral issues under control, I WILL BE THE ONE that needs the psychotropic medication, and having a trained professional who is familiar with our daughter's behavior to talk to has REALLY helped us cope!!! I also know many parents who take some low dose stress and anxiety medication to help them keep their calm throughout everything. My regular doctor has suggested a low dose Celexa, because it is very effective with minimal side effects. If your difficult child is REALLY getting to you, then this may be another option for you to help you deal.

It is a rough situation, just be aware of your difficult child's rages, and how frequent they occur, how long they last, and to what degree they take things. Our therapist also suggested keeping a journal of their behaviors. This is a very useful tool for you, the therapist, AND for the psychiatrist if you see one. Children grow and mature so fast, especially at age 11, most have started going through puberty and changing into young adults, and at this age, sometimes is a good time to re-evaluate medication. The journal will help everyone see a trend, and figure out if the behavior is escalating.

Just out of curiosity, I know it has been a couple years since you started the Focalin, but did you notice these behaviors to get worse when he started taking it?? We tried that with our daughter, and it made things much worse, and they told me that was uncommon because it was supposedly so "PURE", but I figure that we can't be the only ones on the PLANET that have had a bad experience with that medication??????

Liahona

difficult child had a very bad reaction to focalin. He was only on it about 3 days. Worst mania he has ever had.

Kylesmylife

I want to say thank you to all for the warm welcome. I have been looking high and low for something like this, I know I will be one to post every day, And after the day I had today I need to. I find it so hard to read my difficult child. He starts his day off great, one of the best I can ask for. But as soon as he walks in the door its not the same kid. He was so upset due to the fact that we had to see the Dr today. Before the last hospital stay I had found a small stash of animal feet in his room. Only after I got a call from school that he was talking about it. I did not let him know I found them until I got him to the Dr's office. When he found out that I had them and that I gave them to her that was it. Now every time we have to see her (monthly) he can't stand it. Just to look at her make his skin jump. So it was the Im not going, yelling, kicking and makeing sure that we were late. When we get there he can't sit still and has to let her know that he does not like her and wants his feet back. What do you say to that?
As soon as we walk out the office door hes ok again. Then he starts with the I want to list he has. With the way he has been at school and home I can't let him do much if anything out of my sight. So the ride home was more yelling and more you dont love me, you dont care of what I want, its all your fault. He knows that I suffer from extream anxiety and panic attacks so he works that to the fullest, because I don't have medications right now. I just hope one day I can find something that works for me to not show what I'm feeling.

sillydog

How sad. I don't think you, as the grandparent of a child this age (teen?) can make a lot of difference unless you are willing to let him know you WoN't LIVE THIS WAY. And, that it is not acceptable, family, or socially to allow him to live this way. You do him a disservice to allow him to get away with this behavior. If you will not teach him that the law is the consequence for such behavior at home, then who will have to teach him the consequence for such behavior in society?
Isn't it your duty to teach him right from wronge, and what happens to people who behave in such a way? This is a very tough way to have to teach a lesson, but isn't it better he learn it from you than from a stranger? Isn't it better he is able to come home to you after learning this hard lesson, be angry at you, but learn from it and never do it again?
Who cares if he is angry or resentful of you if he learns and becomes a functioning and contributing, and grateful human being.

wakeupcall

Our difficult child has caused much heartache, but he is still our son. We love him dearly and will do anything possible to help him get through this. We have all struggled since he was a toddler, but won't give up....ever. I still have lots of hopes for him.