Northwoods people checkin

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We got 18" of snow out of this storm. Lots of blowing snow and lots of power outages up here.

This was a bad one. Despite being 70 miles from Lake Superior, we got lake effect snow out of this one.

Certain areas in the Upper Peninsula got better than two feet of snow. We are moving again up here, though my driveway needs plowing again.

This system is now headed East, so bunker down Eastern Great Lakes folks as you can expect serious lake snow in your area.

MN and Northern WI, the Dakotas, etc., report in.'

BusynMember

ARE YOU SHUCKIN' SERIOUS???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

We got maybe two to three inches and it was a bit slippery on the sidewalks before they had time to salt, but nothing like you guys did. Wow. Just wow.

I hope you have a snowblower :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MWM, it was the weirdest thing. This storm was a narrow band running just under the Canadian border and into the very northern parts of the states impacted.

What we got was lake snow off of Superior for the most part. I'm glad you missed it.

I don't have to shovel. I have a plow service. I haven't been able to shovel snow for a few years now due to my back and knees.

BusynMember

GN, so glad you don't have to shovel. It's funny. If we had moved just a little farther North (you know where I live) we'd have all the major storms hitting us, but now it seems we MISS them and by just a very little bit.

Stay safe when you drive. Hopefully, it's done snowing! I mean, it's not Christmas yet :) Ah, but it IS Wisconsin!!!! ;)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm in Oneida county just outside of the Lake Superior snowbelt. The next county North, Vilas, borders on the UP. They are about 20 miles from me and routinely get considerably more snow than we do.

It all boils down to exactly where you are in relation to Lake Michigan and Lake Superior.

The UP gets it off of both lakes much of the time.

BusynMember

GN, you're right, of course. We have dodged the lake. Yet last year, in the winter of Hades, we got tons and tons of snow and when it wasn't snowing it was --40 with the wind chill. I am praying we don't have a Wisconsin winter redux...lol.

We are both lucky. No shoveling.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Last winter hoovered. Bitter cold without windchills. We had one day where the HIGH was -25. Windchills were -50.

We got so much snow that I had to have the roof shovelled three times.

Our first snow this year was in late September. It didn't stick and melted off very quickly, but still a harbinger of things to come. Last of the 10 foot piles on either side of my driveway from snowplowing finally melted off in May.

Summer was nice and cool, though. Mostly in the 60s and seventies and the spring storms weren't too awful

Wiped Out

Staff member
All I can say is ugh!!! Thankfully we didn't get any snow but the temps are bitter for this time of year!

BusynMember

GN, I have to go out soon and I am so not excited about it. I didn't even check for snow yet, but I know it's cold. Very cold for this time of year. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Keep warm!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I went out Yesterday and the city apparently blew off plowing other than one swipe down the main streets during the storm. Roads were awful and the drivers worse.

The city is already talking about salt shortages which is ridiculous as for much of the winter up here it is too cold for salt to work anyways. They sand. They plowed out a narrow swath on the roads in the trailer park and sanded the curves. Slipperier than hell. The Wal-Mart Parking lot isn't bad, Trig's is awful, and Walgreen's isn't great.

I have to go get cat food tomorrow and get some groceries, but that's it.

For some reason I can't get warm. I have the heat up to 68, which is warm for me, am wearing sweats and my Ugg boots and am chilled. I think it's the cold I'm getting over. Either that or a side-effect of the Topomax I started. Ugh! Not ready for winter yet.