open mouth or keep it shut

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by standswithcourage, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. standswithcourage

    standswithcourage New Member

    I know I have posted about my easy child son before but I am frustrated again. He is 17 - not very active - used to be when he was younger - he has friends and they play video games and sometimes play some football - but mostly video games - my easy child has a job at the grocery store and works maybe once a weekend - so anyway - he is slightly overweight but has started a weight lifting class at school - I just hopes he works at it and catches on! We are members of a health club that he is not to interested in going to but after school some days I stop on the way home ( i tell him first) and we go ride the bike or something - also he is wondering why he has not gone through puberty yet? My husband was a late bloomer and so was difficult child but none of my other children had any weight problem? What should I do about any of this? Should I approach the DR. about his puberty problem? He wants a lower voice, etc! I do provide healthy meals and dont cook deserts, etc. Why do I feel like there is something more I should be doing? I am probably just crazy!!! Thanks for advice.
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I have no experience with this, but if I were in your shoes, I'd start with calling a pediatrician- when your son is not around- and asked. It could be as simple as giving him a certain medication for a while to "kick it in". I would think that it might start having a negative psychological impact on him if he goes much longer without it starting or without getting an explanation of why...JMHO!!
  3. 4sumrzn

    4sumrzn New Member

    No, not crazy!!! But, yes....maybe talk to your family doctor? You are concerned & he needs to know everything is OK too. Maybe give the doctor a shot at explaining things in that lower voice:D.
  4. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    He hasn't gone thru puberty at 17???

    Oh, yeah. Definately get him into the doctor. It would probably be a very good idea to have him seen by a specialist. I'm thinking endocrinologist. Age 17 is awfully late to have still not gone thru puberty yet.

    As far as the weight, if you're not keeping alot of junk foods in the house and making healthy meals I don't know what else you can do. It's good that you're encouraging him to get some exercise. But it's a bit late to force the issue.

  5. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I think that not going into puberty by 17 should be cause for worry. So make that call to the family doctor, and probably start trying to get in to see an endocrinologist. A pediatrician. endocrinologist may be the best choice, as puberty usually happens much younger in our country.

    As far as the weight, he is sure to be REALLY sensitive to this, esp with the puberty thing. I would not mention it and continue to support his weightlifting and take him to the gym.