Power of the board needed!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
The 17 year old son of some good friends is in the hospital and the doctor's aren't quite sure what's going on. T went to the ER Friday with a fever of 105 and what was thought to be a nasty case of the flu. The fever is, of course, serious at that degree but he also has heart issues.....specifically the valves. One of his valves was removed, the other put in it's place and a donor valve grafted in.

Anyhoo....he's still there, still has a fever and the docs are busy ruling out things. His platelet count is dangerously low and dropping. Normal is anywhere from 100,000 to 400,000 and his is currently at 53,000. It was 90,000 on Friday and has dropped a bit each day. They've ruled out Lukemia (thank God!) and a few other things but still don't have any ideas. If nothing is figured out and his count continues to drop, they are going to transfer him down to IU medication Center tomorrow.

Please rattle beads that the docs get this figured out and/or that it's nothing super major. This poor kid has already had 3-4 open heart surgeries...his first one being when he was 7 months old, so he doesn't need any more koi.

H

HaoZi

Rattling a lot of beads. He hasn't been out of the country or around someone who was?

H

HaoZi

Scary, the next thing I find with those symptoms outside of cancer is dengue fever followed by liver issues like hep c. I'd heard dengue was making its way north from Mexico, but West Nile can cause odd onset and similar symptoms in some people.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Saying prayers, holding good thoughts, keeping body parts crossed for this young man.

I know this is waaaay too obvious, and probably they've already ruled it out..........but have they checked him for encephalitis or meningitis??

H

HaoZi

That was my first thought, too, Hound Dog, but I figured they had ruled it out. Then again, knowing our area.... maybe not.

DDD

Hoping they have a "Dr. House" on staff who finds the answers pronto. Sending caring thoughts. DDD

Jena

wow i wonder what it could be..... i hope they figure it out and dont' have to transfer. yea he doesn't need anymore...

((Hugs)))

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thank you everyone! Sorry I didn't update last night.....husband was on the computer working on a project for class.

T's numbers were on the rise yesterday and he was sent home today!!!! I'm not sure I believe the diagnosis but the docs are saying the cause was purely viral. To me, that's just like saying ODD, you know? But, either way, he's home and enjoying some uninterrupted sleep.

Thank you all so much....the power of this board is incredible!!!