Pretty or ????

H

HaoZi

It came off differently, that's all. Back to topic... focusing on pretty isn't a new concept by any means, it didn't even go underground during the feminist movement. It's still alive and well, and biologically speaking there are reasons for that. The good thing is that these days we can ALSO emphasize traits like intelligence as a good thing rather than a bad thing, because heaven help the younger man that's threatened by an intelligent young woman these days.

tiredmommy

I agree that being pretty has no business being the be all and end all of a human being. But... being intelligent shouldn't be the only desired trait. Or dependability. Or social ability. Or athleticism. Or creative talent. Or empathy. Or faith. Or community service. Or nice handwriting. Or thriftiness. You get the idea.

All of these things are traits; simply a distinguishing characteristic. We are all born with traits and talents. They make us unique from one another. To ignore a trait or suppress a trait in a child is a disservice to that child... its far better to guide the child to favorably develop these traits so that the child grow into caring, responsible adults rather than feel that a very real part of them is unnecessary or unworthy of acknowledgement.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Something I was thinking about last night... I'm not Miss America. I'm not a rocket scientist. I'm not the "best and brightest" at anything.

But... I sure do clean up good! I can hold my own. I have my talents, and the single most important talent I have is... Being myself.

Now if I can get this across to Onyxx, who has copied someone every day of her life... It's OK to pick up bits here and there. But a complete whole-boy-and-personality makeover to be just like someone else... Ugh.

Malika

I agree with tiredmommy. I think singling out particular traits over others as the only desirable or "wanted" ones is not truly wholesome. A notion I like is of welcoming children - welcoming them just as they are, as they come into this world, as gifts of god, or life, or however one wants to see it. That way, there's nowhere to go, no-one to impress, nothing to become... just being oneself is... more than enough.

DammitJanet

I think we have discussed being pretty to death. Maybe we could discuss something else now. Maybe we could find a cure for cancer or talk about American Idol.

Malika

Something I was thinking about last night... I'm not Miss America. I'm not a rocket scientist. I'm not the "best and brightest" at anything.

But... I sure do clean up good! I can hold my own. I have my talents, and the single most important talent I have is... Being myself.

Now if I can get this across to Onyxx, who has copied someone every day of her life... It's OK to pick up bits here and there. But a complete whole-boy-and-personality makeover to be just like someone else... Ugh.

It's kind of being a teenager too, don't you think? You don't really know who you are then and maybe putting on other people's masks is a handy device. Takes a lifetime to get really comfortable with oneself, I think.

tiredmommy

I had heard something on tv that she supposedly received preferential treatment during the audition but I never heard the entire story. Is this true?

Kathy813

Staff member
I have no idea but I could see how having Jim Carrey come to watch his daughter sing would be a ratings boost.

I thought she was a good singer and cute as a button. She didn't look anything like some of the other Hollywood offspring . . . it was quite refreshing.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

She was cute as a bugs ear and didnt come off as a famous kid. I would have never picked her for Jim's daughter. And I cant believe he named her Jane...lol. I would have expected Jim Carey to come up with some wild funky name ya know?

When she walked in and started talking about FATHER...and I was like...oh my...who is FATHER! LOL. She looks like a young twenties soccer mom. She drives a mini van...lol. She came in dressed in jeans and a nice top.

I really liked a guy from Appomatax VA who has a pregnant wife and had to quit his job to go audition. I also really like this young girl who auditioned last week and made it but I am really worried about her. She is good but she is young and she said she wanted to prove that bipolar doesnt define you. Well...she has been in treatment since 4th grade and has been iffy about medications most of her teen years and singing has been getting her by. Both her and her mom have said that this AI thing have been what has been keeping her stable. That worries me greatly. I can see her making it to at least the top 24 but what happens when she does get cut? I have a feeling she wont take it well and then her stability is going to shatter.