pros and cons to Magic Jack or other VOIP software?

ctmom05

I am interested in hearing from folks who have actually used Magic Jack, Skype, Vonage or any of those others phone software programs where you can make calls to a regular landline phone, not just to others users of the same software.

What are the pros and cons of what you have tried?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I just switched to Magic Jack two days ago as my cell is being cancelled. There are a few glitches, but it seems to work well. I have to reboot the computer several times a day to keep connection, but other than that...$20 for a year of unlimited long distance and local...can't beat it.

I also used Skype to talk to my friends in Thailand. Works very well. Only used it locally while trying to do a conference call with them and their mom...worked perfectly.

The key thing to both of these services is to have a high speed, reliable internet connection.

Abbey

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have to reboot the computer several times a day to keep connection, but other than that...$20 for a year of unlimited long distance and local...can't beat it.

Abbey

Abbey--

If you have to continually re-boot the computer, what about the wear and tear of constantly having the computer on...? Is that a concern? (We had one burn out a few years ago from being constantly left on). And if you are away ftom home all day, will you miss all of your calls because the computer shut off while you were out?

--DaisyF

Abbey

Spork Queen
Myth. It is actually better to leave your computer on. Rebooting is a problem, but not leaving it on constantly. So I guess in the end Magic Jack might not be the perfect answer, but when you're trying to save a few bucks...you do what you have to do.

I lost several computers while living in Florida from turning it off every day from thunder storms. A tech guy explained to me to unplug it, but not turn it off. Never had a problem since.

I've tweaked MJ over the last two days where I have not had to reboot for 27 hours now. Hopefully that will help. It was more my computer than MJ. I had it set to time out at a certain time frame which made it lose the connection. I *think* it is fixed.

Abbey

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Myth. It is actually better to leave your computer on. Rebooting is a problem, but not leaving it on constantly.
Abbey

Not to hi-jack the thread, but when our computer burnt out and we lost the hard-drive, the guy at the repair place said the fan motor burnt out from constantly running and the computer overheated after the fan motor went. He said that it was best to shut off the computer when you are not using it.

Why would it be better to leave the computer on? Since we are getting a new one this weekend, I want to make sure that I am taking the best care I possibly can to avoid any more expensive repairs....

Thanks for any info.

--DaisyF

Lothlorien

I have used Skype, but only to call an out-of-state friend who we video call each other. It's cool, but seems to have its quirks.