Really proud of difficult child recently

Wiped Out

Staff member
He is really trying hard. Wrestling has been wonderful for him even though he hasn't won even a single round. He is a great sport about it.

A couple of things recently that really made me proud:

*This weekend we were at a family Christmas party in Michigan and he was so well behaved others were commenting on it!
*At the party one of his cousin's punched a little cousin and difficult child told him he shouldn't be doing that so he punched difficult child. Instead of punching him back or screaming at him difficult child just took the little cousin who was crying upstairs to his mom.
*Also at the party, one of the little cousins got into the game closet and accidentally broke a light bulb. difficult child picked up all the glass he could find so none of the littles would get hurt.
*On the car ride to and from Michigan easy child/difficult child was being a major PITA and difficult child really either ignored or talked to us about it.
*Last night at practice they had a "secret singlet" person they were to buy a small $10.00 gift for. difficult child only received 5 mint lifesavers and took it all in stride. I could tell he was disappointed but he told us he graciously said thank you. We talked about it and said maybe the other person couldn't afford more and difficult child was totally o.k. with it-even offered us one of his mints. He did show us a poem his secret singlet partner wrote about him and it was really sweet. On the bottom it said that difficult child inspired him to write the song because difficult child had sung one for him.

As always, difficult child is still very much a difficult child but these "moments" have given me hope that things are heading in the right direction. I just never would have believed a few years ago this was possible. He was so violent and had been hospitalized so many times. Although he has always had a good heart things were very bleak. (O.k. enough already-hopefully I haven't jinxed myself too much.)

Calamity Jane

That is the sweetest post ever. I wish I could give your difficult child a big hug for being such a "mensch" (that's NY for "all around good and mature person"). Bless his heart.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Great post WO, your difficult child is endearing............it's nice when we can see a balance between their gfgness and their humanity. I'm happy for you........

T

TeDo

That IS awesome Sharon. It is wonderful when the right medications (hopefully mixed with a little maturity) are found. We are having the same thing here with difficult child 1. The progress, even with some difficult child momoents, is just enough light to see the end of the tunnel. It's not an endless, deep, dark place anymore.

KUDDOS to you both. This board auntie is proud.

Great Sharon, sounds like some maturity is sneaking in, as TeDo mentioned. Shocking, isn't it? (my jaw still drops when I see it in mine). And very heartening. And a VERY good sign.

Good work done by all in your family.

Jo

buddy

that was a total tear making post. I am a softie and tear up easily, this really touched me. I loved the mint story best. he is really kind hearted.

Must be your best Christmas gift ever to have those moments to hold onto.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies!

I will try to keep these moments close especially since it is Christmas Eve morning and difficult child has been swearing at me all morning-sigh!