school district evaluation results...

MissVic

Hi there,
I normally post in the Early Childhood zone, but love this forum as well.

We had our meeting this morning (I guess it was an IEP meeting) and the SD qualified difficult child for sped preschool. 4 mornings per week, including bus service so he can still attend on the days I have to work. His teacher seems wonderful and the interventions they've scheduled for him seem great.
I am, of course, mourning the fact that if we go ahead with this, he will have to leave his Montessori school. He can still go to Montessori on Friday mornings but I'm not sure if that would hurt (anxiety wise) more than help and if that would just be making ME happy, not Obie <sigh>.
I know I've posted this before but can you guys PLEASE make me feel better about giving up on Montessori for now?!?!?!!?!?!?!? We need to do what's best for Obie and I'm just hoping to make the right choice............

Thanks so much....again.......

Martie

Dear Miss Vic,

I'm happy for you and Obie but I can't make you feel better about the decision. Only you cna decide if this is the right decision.

All of us have to make choices that we are not sure are the best for our difficult children. We just do the best we can with what we know at the time. The purpose of this board is to help people know more.

I guess I can say something that might make you feel better: If this doesn't work out the way you want--a 4 year old is much less likely to suffer stigma from being moved from one program to another than an older child. Classmates won't care--and I hope you gain valuable information about what Obie needs to be successful in school in a year or two.

Martie

Sheila

Early intervention can be so important for our kids..... Early interventions give the best route to a good outcome. You've done a good job getting them in place.

Montessori school is not "out," just blended in or postponed.