Snowbound....

A

agee

Trapped in the house by snow, probably 2 days without school...difficult child still not appropriately medicated (it's a work in progress)...
Help.
That's all. Carry on.
A

smallworld

Is it too deep to play outside and then come inside for some hot cocoa?

Can you build a blanket fort inside?

Do you have any good family-friendly DVDs you can all watch together with a bowl of popcorn?

Just throwing some thoughts out there for you . . .

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

LittleDudesMom

Well agee, when my son was your difficult child's age, I would much rather he be home than at school when things were off!

Small has some good suggestions - outside play, fort building, movies and popcorn. Mine was busy for hours with clay or paint.

Hang in there!

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
push all the furniture in one room back against the walls so you have open space and can't break stuff.

empty bottles and a ball for bowling

empty boxes to use as building blocks, just really big ones (cake mixes, etc, that aren't empty work, too! but empty soda boxes or moving boxes work even better)) (build a big wall to topple over or crash thru, build a ramp to jump hot wheels over them, build a "fort"

If you don't mind a mess, packing peanuts are a blast to dump out

use electrical or masking tape to make roads all over the floor. Some boxes can become houses and stores, and you can drive your hotwheels thru the roads (set up is as much the fun of this activity as playing, in my experience)

beach ball volleyball

if you have swim rings (or those floating noodles, you make rings out of them by making a circle and taping the ends) yu can set up an obstacle course with the "tires", a blue towel "water hazzard" you have to jump, a tunnel you have to crawl thru, etc.

I was stuck inside with 2 kids for 5 days once. I got desperate.

Good luck,

A

agee

Thanks for the suggestions.
There's something you aren't understanding about my child: he is incapable of playing by himself. He is incapable of playing with his brother without instigating a fight. And he is incapable of playing with us without screaming, crying, calling us names (newest swear word: jackass) or throwing something.
He lost his tv time today for purposefully going into his brother's room and destroying a lego ship he'd been building over the past couple of days. Took tv away because that's all he cares about.
And yes, outside play is great - but so far in 2 days he's been in and out in and out in and out - 10 minutes at a time, requiring 15 minutes of suiting up each time.
Once again I am venting...

A

agee

Also - I should say that difficult child generally does much better in school than at home. He has already cried twice about school being cancelled tomorrow.
I do appreciate the suggestions, though. It just gets so frustrating trying to entertain a kid who's bound and determined that the argument is more entertaining than the activity.
And I'm going to let him "earn back" his tv time so we can all watch something tonight. He can "earn it back" by sledding - I wish I could earn stuff so easily!
A

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh I hear ya...mine wouldn't, either. I was on the floor playing all those games! When they finally plowed our road, I put the kids in a laundry basket and tied a dog leash to it to just get the heck out of my house with them for a while.

Given your options are limited, for your own sanity, I'd reconsider limiting things like removing tv. Your options are already pretty limited and you don't wanna make yourself crazy before you're dug out.

A

agee

I put the kids in a laundry basket
OH! This is a great idea! We only have one sled (I live in NC - not enough snow usually to have a bunch of sleds) and I was kicking myself last night when we were all taking turns going down the hill.
I have a largish laundry basket. I'll try it.
A

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Spray some Pam on the bottom of it.

(I still have that basket, by the way, and the evidence of being pulled around with 2 kids in it is still on the bottom, lol!)

A

agee

So - a little update: tomorrow is day 3 of snow days and today and tomorrow it's raining on top of the ice/snow.
I gave in and allowed difficult child to watch TV all morning long.
Still fighting, annoying behavior, and rudeness, but at least it wasn't constant. Maybe only half the time.
Oh PLEASE let there be school on Thursday.
a