So frustrated. New infection. :-(

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Shari, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I am so frustrated I could cry.

    Sinus surgery went great, but I posted a question about white spots on my uvula and throat yesterday. I didn't figure surgeon would see me, so I went to GP. I have uvulitis, ulcers, and infection plus my ears are worse, still, than they have been to this point. She had hoped the sinus surgery would allow them to drain, and they have not. My follow-up with the surgeon isn't for another week, but she did not want me to wait that long, they are obviously infected and the gamant of antibiotics has not cured it. She would like to see tubes or tympanotomy(sp?) to get all infection cleaned out and start with a clean plate. To add to the mix, the antibiotic I've been on for the past 3 1/2 weeks is what is normally used to treat the infection I have. So she switched antibiotics and put me back on steroids and told me to call the surgeon asap.

    So I called surgeon and he won't do anything until next Thursday.

    Since December, I have been on Doxycycline twice, Medrol dose-pak twice, Biaxin, Avelox, Zithromax, and Augmentin, which I've been on for about 24 days. My ears have gotten progressively worse on all this.

    I'm supposed to go back to work on next Friday. I'm off without pay right now, and only get 50% pay next week, and the flippin doctor wants to "wait and see" some more. I am so angry.

    This is the biggest reason I had concerns about this doctor. He treats what statistically should be, not ME. As Star said, I'm weird, and he's working with what should be, not what is.
  2. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    Big, huge BUMMER, Shari. Be careful of the infections--if you take a downturn (weakness, feel faint, low or high blood pressure, etc.) take it seriously and get to ER.

    I did wind up getting an ear tube put in several years after sinus surgery because my one eardrum kept rupturing. I wished I'd had it done earlier.

    You could try pushing the ENT to get in sooner--I pushed the on call surgeon when I was near rupture the last time and he came in and did it on a Saturday.

    Hope you get some relief.
  3. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I'm ready to call the guy and tell him to shove it, I'll find someone else. I almost did before the surgery, and this was why, but I always second guess myself and told myself it was just me being a whiner and borrowing trouble.

    He was so insistent that I just had to be sick from the antibiotics that he put me on Zantac, which proceeded to make me sick, yet when I called in and said I wasn't sick before the Zantac, and asked to stop taking it, they insisted I keep taking it because "I probably just hadn't noticed the reflux" but they were sure it was there. So I went into this surgery puking my guts up everytime I ate cause I had to take Zantac before surgery. That's SOP.

    I called in Tuesday gagging on a blood clot. The answer to that was more Zantac.

    They wanted me off Advil because it upsets your stomache. I've taken 600-800mg 2-4 times a day for the past several years for arthritis with no trouble. But I had to stop cause I might get sick.

    They gave me potent antibiotics and steroids Monday during surgery. My ears are still worse. Yet we have to wait and see on this round before we do anymore?

    I understand this is SOP. But I also understand that its been determined long ago that I am not SOP. I could spit nails.
  4. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    Find someone else before you tell him to shove it!

    I hate it when doctors won't listen.
  5. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I called GP back as she did not want this to wait another week. She does not feel the antibiotic or steroids will alleviate the ear infection at this point, so she is sending me to someone else.

    I haven't got the appointment yet, but I will be calling surgeon back and telling them this in hopes it will light a fire under his tail and maybe he'll do it sooner. Don't know. Regardless, I think I'll go see the new guy, anyway. Maybe he'll take me a little more serious than surgeon did and I won't have the same qualms about him. I should have listened to my gut this time. I feel like such a whiner. Its not a huge deal, but on the same note, it is an unecessary one.
  6. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    I saw a Dr. on Charlie Rose a while back who had written a book about misdiagnosing. He suggested that we not be afraid to ask our doctors "Is there anything else it could be?", "Given everything we have tried is there any other treatment available?", and again, "Is there anything else it could be?"

    My past work history in unions and HR tells me that you should not worry about getting your disability extended as you have a secondary infection. It's not the same condition that got you the disability that got you off work in the first place. Get one of your doctors to go to bat for you. And see that surgeon ASAP!
  7. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Ya know, Witz, there's another "red flag". When I expressed my hesitation on Monday to surgeon, I asked "what other options do I have to alleviate this infection that has been lingering for months? Are there other antibiotics the could be tried?" and he said he wasn't in a position to give ideas as to alternative treatments at that time and place.

    Surgeon's already said he doesn't like too many people meddling with one patient. It will tick him off when I call him and tell him if he won't do it, someone else will. However, I can't see any acceptible reason to allow this to wait yet another week. I am off work to heal, and that's not going to happen so long as I am carrying infection around. My mom is here chasing difficult child so that I can rest. She can't stay another week come next Thursday. She's a wonderful woman, but she's pushing her physical limits now to help me. I just can't see how waiting makes sense.

    Yet I feel so...whiney for making a fuss about it. I feel guilty for standing up for myself, and I'm not sure why.
  8. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Well, I'm sorry for the mess you're in, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the ear tubes -- they really helped difficult child 1. And they would allow the ear to drain.

    Hope you get the treatment you need/deserve soon!
  9. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Surgeon called back at 7:30pm last night and will see me at 9am. He is coming to clinic after surgery to see me, he's normally not in on Friday's. I hope he'll drain them then, but at this point, I'm trying not to expect it. We will see.

    I wish I could figure out how to not get myself in these situations.
  10. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    If he drains them, it's only one quick step more to insert ear tubes.
  11. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member

    If the infection is still there in a few days, have gp do a staph test. With the amount of problems that you have had and then being in the hospital, coming home with something new, I'd be concerned about MRSA, especially since you are drug resistent.

    If you are going to see a different physician, have your gp make the appointment and actually speak to the doctor you will be seeing. Most docs DO NOT want to take on another surgeon's problem and generally won't see you or tell you to go back to the original surgeon. However, if your gp calls, then they will more than likely take a different stance.
  12. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Please don't beat yourself up or feel like a whiner. You feel like [email protected], and you're simply trying to feel better. You know that you have non-standard medical needs, and your doctor is NOT LISTENING TO YOU. That's a huge red flag in my opinion.

    I think Lothlorien makes a very good point. When you go to the new doctor, have your GP queue it all up for you. Make sure your GP communicates the issues with the medications, drainage, etc., so that this new doctor is prepared to take you seriously and not treat you with SOP.

    You're not whining. You're taking care of you. Big difference.

    Hugs, and hope you feel better soon.

  13. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Thanks, guys. I went to surgeon this morning, and as I figured, he did nothing. With steroids and advil (800-1200mg every 4 hours like clockwork) my ears have less pressure today. Not enough, in his opinion, to drain them. Told me to take pain medications, offered narcotics (I declined - I have some if I really need it but they knock me out SO bad and then I have a hangover...) and told me tough it out.

    HIS opinion is that ears will clear up when uvula clears up. Which, by the way, he says, in his "expert opinion" and he "didn't start doing this yesterday, only been doing it 20 years, you know" (and I quote - he told me that) that the throat is from the breathing tube from surgery.

    I don't know what its from. I think its odd, if its an injury to my throat from misplaced suction during morning surgery on Monday, that it took 56+hours after to show up at all and got progressively worse until yesterday, when the new antibiotic and steroids were started. Surgery facility nurse thought it was not related to tube. My sister in law, who is the head of the OB ward at the university here, never saw a delayed reaction like that. GP yesterday was certain it wasn't from the tube - maybe infection intruduced thru an abrasion from the tube, but not directly a tube/suction related thing.

    On a good note, tho, my throat is much less red today. Can't say it hurts less, but it is much less red, so, knock on wood, maybe the steroid and new antibiotic will help.

    GP called, she had set up the appointment to another ENT. I plan to go regardless of the status of my ears at the time. He's closer to where I work, anyway. Its a week or so out, but she thinks I'll get in on a cancellation sooner.

    On a funny note, surgeon asked me AGAIN this morning about the antacid and how my reflux was.:rolleyes: At this point, I beleive they must be compensated by the antacid industry. When I told them (again) I was NOT taking the reflux medication because it CAUSED me to have reflux, and reminded them that I have told them this repeatedly, they then asked how bad my diarrhea has been. I said I haven't had diarrhea. At all. They then told me I had to be having stomach issues from all the medications and the duration I've been on them. They then preached about the acidopholous again. The only reason I stopped taking it was to let my stomach recoup from the Zantac. I just haven't picked it up again yet.

    I should have invited them to the bathroom to prove my stomache was fine, but I don't think of those things quick enuf. :clubbing:

    And ya know, husband took off to take me to doctor this morning in the event he did drain my ears (I had no idea what to expect from this, so he went). Since he's home, I think I'm going to tell him to load my recliner and lets go camping. I've been sitting here doing nothing with the windows open all week, I can sit there and do nothing just as well, with friends, and difficult child will have friends to play with and other adults to help watch him. So long as I have my recliner to sleep in...I can take my drugs and sit on my patootie there. husband is even more apt to cook at the campground than here...