Son is working

Misty@0545

I got my son a job at a restaurant teo blocks away. The last 2 days have been great. He goes to work at 3 in the afternoon and comes home at 11. He seems happier with himself and has been acting like a different person. He is smoking MJ but im not sure if hes taking pills. I am about to search his room from top to bottom while he is not home. Could it be he just needed a job to feel like he has a purpose. I dont have to argue with him to go as i am not home when he leaves. I know its too soon to get my hopes up, but i csn hope cant I

BusynMember1

Please don't get excited yet. I have done so too, way too many times.

Give it six months. Yes. That long.

Three days, three weeks, and even three months means little with our kids. They do sometimes have good days, weeks, and Kay has had a very few good months. Up to almost three. Almost.

Since Kay won't cut out the unmotivating pot and refuses to get professional hielp for her psychiatric issues, she can not sustain. Plus pot may be okay for some, but it has a bad effect on Kay. Its not benign for everybody.

I can not speak about your son. I don't know him. All I know is that our Kay has disappointed us so many times that we no longer get excited about upturns because for her they don't last.

I hope for you it is different.

Be well.

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
Misty

I agree. Be cautiously optimistic. We want so bad for them to step up to the plate and the minute they throw us a crumb we are off the charts happy. That’s human nature.

Pray that God gives both you and he the courage and strength to do the right things.

There’s a great Serenity Prayer that says:

God grant me the serenity to accept the the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. I pray this for myself and my sons.

In my opinion none of what we accomplished is done by sheer willpower.

WiseChoices

I agree with what has been stated . Change usually happens very slowly in people. It is good to be optimistic, but also realistic. I am glad you are feeling a little relief for the time being .

Albatross

I think that's good news for both of you, Misty. If it gives him a sense of purpose or a sense of accomplishment, that's great. If it gets him out of the house to cut down on the arguments, even better. It may or may not be the start of some big changes, but I think we should enjoy the good days when we have them!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Misty
Perhaps he has seen a change in you since coming to this forum and getting new insight and strength on your situation?

He is very young and I hope that he turns this around and gets on the right path so you don't have to take more drastic measures.

My son would do well for many months and then go back to his using. I really pray that you do not have to go through that.

On a good note, my son is 24 today and in welding school and working so we are blessed and thankful. I do know that if we had not set strong boundaries and gotten tough HE would not be in a good place.

:staystrong:

Misty@0545

He worked on the job thurs,fri,sat a total of 24 hours and has been calling everyday and the boss keeps saying he didnt figure out the schedule for this week. I hope its not a setback for him.