Squatters

Nomad

Staff member
The bad people/literal criminals have taken over. This law is shameful, wrong , dangerous amd harmful. The HOA president is going out of his mind. Creepy people going in and out of the place. He won’t let them park in her spot. He is going to start to take notes …maybe take photos so we can report potential/likely thefts amd destruction.and we might have to wait until the formal eviction is done. Unsure. I’m sick.

Nomad

Staff member
I’ve just been informed the neighbors are terrified and there is nothing anyone can do. This law protecting criminals is more than a little disturbing.

Getting leads on caretakers. She must be supervised.

BusynMember1

Just curious, how is your daughter Kay now? Did she get any better?
Hi. Thanks for asking about Kay. She and Lee were given a ten year old motorhone and took off to the other side if the country to drop out if "the rat race." Lee works at a pizza place. Kay does not work.
Maybe she can't. She never has. Both are on SSDI, Medicaid and Food Share. I have not heard from her but she told her cousin that she loves her "feeedom." That is all I know.

We as a family are doing well. We are still in therapy but have learned that we have done all we could. We are.peaceful if a bit sad at times.

Thanks again for asking.

SeekingStrength

Nomad, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through this. You have been such a support for years.

D*$%

Hoping for better news soon. You know to take care of your health and well being first. Please report back that you are. Deep breaths, leisurely walks, calming music....

MissLulu

Oh Nomad, I have no advice. Our law is different in Australia so nothing i can say will be of use. I am so, so sorry this is happening. My thoughts are with you and I'm praying for a good outcome. Please try to look after yourself as best you can.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Nomad, I'm thinking it's time to bring out the big guns.
Dirt bags have nothing to lose, but us responsible people don't get that because we can't relate so we jump through hoops trying to do the right thing, try to mitigate the damage, with people who just don't have one moral bone in their bodies, happens so often in the legal system.

First I would call the chief of police to request an official discussion as to why that man was able to pull a knife on a disabled person and not be removed from her home and charged criminally, as he should have, period. They need to answer for this, not with some bs about it being a civil matter but why a threat like that was disregarded, the chief should be put on notice for this. And I would let the police chief know how the HOA and neighbors are very concerned about this situation and how "they, the police department" let it continue. Let them start to squirm a bit, while they wait for the next call they are going to know is coming after you alerted them of the concern now from the neighbors. Law enforcement should not push criminal behavior onto a civil matter, and that's what they did here, so put their butts on notice. I know what I am talking about here.

And then I would turn off the electricity and the water, internet anything else in that apartment, now. Legally, who the hell cares, you go in front of a judge with a blank look on your face and say "oh judge, but my daughter doesn't live there because squatters pushed her out." and if he says turn it all back on say "okay as soon as I can" and then do nothing. Nothing legally will happen to you, period. You can go back in the next time and say "oh, you want me to turn on what? Oh, okay." and do nothing again. But it won't get that far, because dirt bags don't take you to court, you take them to court.

That dirt bag is going to steal and trash anything he can on the way out, no matter what you do or don't do in his favor, he knows what he's doing, you can't "nice" him into not tearing out the plumbing or whatever, when he goes. Just get it over with as soon as you can. Make it as uncomfortable for him as you can with the living situation, with the HOA and the neighbors and the police.

And then after this storm deal with not allowing this to happen again from your daughters side.

And please don't let all of the work you have done to make a nice place for your daughter take you under, it's just things. You worked hard, very hard, to create a beautiful place for your daughter. Your health is so much more important than that. And maybe right now it's not what she needs, to feel as if she owns it herself. I go into my son's apartment and want to start cleaning and picking up, straightening up, bring over the carpet cleaner and organize, create a space as he grew up in, so I get it. But he's proud of it because of the lights he's strung and the wall hangings he's put up. A place that's basically livable is really all your daughter needs, not your dream for her but maybe her space as it is that she can handle for herself.

Nomad

Staff member
I like the idea of informing the police chief of her disability and our belief that she was targeted and that the neighbors are terrified. I think there is a small chance it might help…but not much.

The dirt bag has threatened to take us to court and literally cites case law from memory. He also seems to act like he belongs there, is entitled to be there and doesn’t understand why we are upset. I think he is mentally unwell.

We don’t know the details but she must of threatened them when she found the glass in her bed. He videotaped it. So the cops basically let it go that he pulled a knife on her…he said that it was it was in self defense. Hiwever, of course she did not have a weapon.

Although not certain, we think he can sort of “appeal” the eviction (“eviction” is not exactly the right word…but close and means the same). He won’t get far but he could cause cause a delay. The police were literally afraid of him (in a legal sense) while at the same time agreeing this is morally wrong. They treated him the same as an on-time paying tenant with a lease. Hand to God. Even though this couldn’t be further from the truth. We DO believe our daughter was targeted, by the way. He will VERY likely know that legally we can’t turn off the electricity. But…I suppose it could “accidentally” go on and off every other week. We do think such things will cause him to start legal proceedings that could delay the eviction. Additionally, could contribute to more destruction of the property. Almost everything is brand new. And the kitchen is small, but extraordinarily nice.

He seems angry and incredulous about an eviction being started and says we can’t do it and he will sue us. I fear he is criminally insane.

It’s a smallish town and we contacted the best attorney fir these things there and he can’t even talk to us until January. We have heard of another very good one about 2.5 hours away. We will call him tiday. The person we hired is not an attorney but a legal expert that does evictions only. She says this is a cut and dry case. We have asked her to inquire about her disability potentially moving the case along faster in the courts. She thinks there is some possibility. The courts are badly backed up due to Covid.

Daughter is staying with a friend who works, has two small kids , in a teeny tiny place and a very big time sick husband in pain. It’s very bad.

I’m now thinking of calling attorneys to see if he can be charged with abusing a disabled person.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Busynmember…please check your private messages. Please try to contact me. Thank you.

Nomad

Staff member
My husband snd I are considering when this is over speaking with our senator and governor about how to amend this law into something more reasonable. This is appalling and from what I am hearing, frequently abused by criminals…hardened ones at that. Targeting elderly or mentally ill. They also carefully watch amd listen fir people going on long vacations. A friend of mine believes this very thing happen when a neighbor went out of town fir 2-3 months and these people moved in and stayed there quietly , rarely left and did their best to avoid being seen. A few days before the people came back; they left and she has never seen them again. Never saw them before or after. She saw them once while they were there and inquired and they said “we live here.” She said “no you don’t!” They said “we are guests of the owner.”

Interestingly, yesterday friends of the freeloaders parked in my daughter’s parking spot. The HOA president said “ What are you doing parking in that spot?” They said “We live here.” He was infuriated. He said “No you don’t!! Get out!” They moved their car to a regular spot.

We now have the spot blocked with a car from a relative of a neighbor. The spot is close to the front door.

We want it to be obvious should they start taking items out of the unit. They would have to take it to the main parking lot.

They are brazen, experienced, defiant, and clear cut criminals.

I am beside myself. So very sad , worried etc.

AppleCori

Hi Nomad,

I’m shocked about what has happened to your daughter!

It’s clear that she was taken advantage of and manipulated by these con artists.

I think this shows that she isn’t able to protect herself from these types of people.

Have you called Aging & Disabilities Services (or whatever it’s called in her area)? I had to call them to get them involved in a situation for a mentally ill relative in a different state. They have to go personally and check on the person if they get a call concerning possible abuse, by law. They even got their lawyer involved on behalf of the best interests of my relative and went to court with him.

I agree that you should talk to your representatives.

Have you thought about contacting the media?

Stress that they are taking advantage of a disabled person.

Nomad

Staff member
I have left a message fir an agency just like that early this morning. No reply yet.

I also left a message with a social worker that use to work for the state, now in private practice that I understand is very good.

Copabanana

I have experience with squatters. If there is no water in the toilet, they pee on the floor. If there is no electricity they light fires. Their big guns are bigger.

What worked is always being there and constantly calling the police as Deni says, and putting them on the line. I think that concerted effort by the homeowners association is required. They have to have an attorney. Don’t they recognize how great is their risk? In some ways they have as much or more risk as you. They’re there and tolerating it.

I like the idea of calling the press, your congressperson’s office, and the governor.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Like the mayor? I’m sick. I’m trying to keep from raging. My heart is broken. I’m appalled that such a law exists.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
What about calling the press!! Call your TV stations!! Make people in charge squirm as well as the squatters!

If you have a crew of TV people out there things will happen I think!!!

Nomad

Staff member
The situation keeps getting worse. They are calling in people. The HOA president believes each will attempt to begin a new thirty day rule and it could go on indefinitely.
My husband has lost seven pounds in two days.
I had to get tranquilizers from my doctor.
We are in shock.
Signing the papers fir the eviction and have a call in to find out about these additional squatters. Omg. My heart is broken. I’m destroyed.