Still can't read

JJJ

Kanga is in 7th grade and reads at a 2nd grade level. Her IQ is normal but she has severe LDs including Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

Can I push for a private school placement if the district does not have a full day program that meets her needs?

Sheila

If the sd can not meet her needs, you can try for private placement.

Your Learning Disability (LD) information is vague. Reading problems can stimulant from a large variety of issues. If the specific problem area(s) are not targeted for treatment and/or the teaching method needed is not provided, a new placement will not remediate or solve the problem.

Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) may be a piece of the puzzle when it comes to reading problems, but there may very well be more going on.

A breakdown in any of the following areas can causing reading problems:

Reading Components are interrelated abilities that make up skilled reading.

phonemic awareness
word analysis - phonics
word recognition - sight words
reading rate
fluency
spelling
background knowledge
word meaning
comprehension

It's really more complex than a skill component "list" can convey, and includes intergration of other skills we tend to take for granted such as inferencing skills.

My son has reading problems and Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). His is not Dyslexia, however. It's language based.

He had 9 months of private language therapy, 2x/week, 1 hour sessions. Then one school year of language therapy, 5x/week for 1 hour sessions (provided by sd). Then one school year of language therapy, 2x/week (provided by sd), 20 min sessions and it resumed when school started in August. An evaluation has been done this year and I haven't yet received the report. We need to see where he is, how he's progressing, and if adjustments need to be made to treatment, etc.

The SLPs (private and sd) treated the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and language problems. In our case, it wouldn't have done any good to remove difficult child from public school and place him in a private school if the private school wouldn't have provided the intensive language therapy required for difficult child to learn to read at grade level.