Three days before discharge.... UPDATE

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt attacks another resident at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) & loses any & every priviledge she has earned. The incident occurred as the treatment team was meeting to coordinate in home treatment plans & respite.

The entire team was there & of course, heard it all. Kind of brought a reality to our in home help - I asked them if they still thought they could handle working with kt.

therapist & I both agreed that as discharge day is nearing kt's anxiety is going through the roof. As services aren't set to start until Friday afternoon (very specific time frame) discharge will not happen until then.

psychiatrist, in the meantime, increased kt's prn seroquel until discharge.

kt called tonight complaining that she couldn't breath. She needed to go to ER. I spoke with staff - the agreed upon plan (as she wasn't blue in the lips, her pulse was okay, etc) was a cup of chamomile tea & a warm bath.

Staff called me just a few minutes ago to let me know that kt had calmed & fallen asleep.

I believe discharge is still planned for Friday - will have to check in with psychiatrist & therapist tomorrow. :crying:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm sorry this is happening, tho guess it should be expected. She's been anxious about returning home. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Will pray for Friday to get here quickly.

Liahona

I hope its still on for Friday. If they extend it out it'll just make the worry worse. Glad you got services in place and sending hugs.

Janna

Oh Linda :crying:

I'm so sorry. It's always something, isn't it?

Positive thoughts things stay on track for Friday. What happened at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that kt attacked the other resident? All her fault?

I'm sure her anxiety is through the roof. She's loaded up with expectations. Poor kid. Poor you and husband.

Sending gentle hugs.

Janna

oceans

I am so sorry. Could it be that she does not feel ready to leave yet, and is acting out for additional help/time?

I hope that everything works out!!

On_Call

Linda,

I am so sorry that this all happened. I am sending gentle {{{hugs}}} out to you right away.

I am sure that kt's anxiety increase was expected. She has been in this living arrangement for quite some time and might even be afraid to fail back at home. I know that when our difficult child came home from inpatient last fall, he was afraid to go back to school. He practically tip toed around our house for weeks, afraid something bad would happen. He actually expressed that exact sentiment.

I was wondering, like Janna, if she was provoked by the other resident? When you are already stressed and anxious and someone else starts pushing your buttons, it's not a good combination.

I hope, too, that things are still in place for a Friday release. The next few weeks may be rough, but hopefully kt will settle in and see that she can be successful back at home.

I will cross my fingers and say my prayers that it all works out as previously planned.

More hugs coming your way!

slsh

member since 1999
Oh Linda, I'm sorry. Have to agree it's probably that anxiety monster that's eating her up. Poor baby.... will keep you all in my thoughts and hope she gets thru it without any more slips.

Wish there was a cure for this level of anxiety. It's a bear.

Hugs!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
As kt is being discharged it really "shouldn't" matter that another resident got in her face & called her a vile name. She has learned the skills to walk away & get help from an adult.

If it hadn't been this incident, it would probably have been something else. kt's anxiety is huge coming home. It's hard to believe but she's been out of our home for almost 10 months (1 in hospital & 9 in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)).

kt hadn't been informed of the discharge date for this very reason until this past Friday.

I wish it were done & over!

I appreciate the good thoughts & support.

busywend

Sending kt some serious calming vibes! Poor thing must be very stressed - which in turn causes you stress. HUGS!!

rejectedmom

Linda, I am sorry that Kt is so very anxious. I hope it all settles down when she gets home. what do you suppose is causing the anxiety specifically. Is it just joyful anticipation? Does she want to come home or does she think she isn't quite ready?
Is she afraid of failure and being sent back to Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? Is there anyway to calm her fears to help her transition more calmly? Will her acting out this last week hinder her return to your home? Wracking my brain here to come up with some helpful suggestions. (((HUGS))) -RM

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
There is a level of ambivalence on kt's part about discharge. While she really wants to be home, she has built in friends plus a whole lot of staff to maintain a level of success.

It is time for her to come home; to learn how to operate, if you will, in the community. To meet & make friends that aren't just a part of the scenery.

Her biggest fear is her lack of friends. kt has terrified every child who would be her friend in the neighborhood with dissociative states & ambulance rides & such.

Plus the children that are her age have grown emotionally far further than kt. It is a very disheartening part of being a difficult child who is so emotionally delayed.

In the meantime, we are checking into an after school program that is run by the SD. It brings kids together to learn social skills in a fun yet supervised environment. I'm hoping we can get kt into this program.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Linda,
I'm sorry kt is experiencing such anxiety. Praying for a peaceful transition home. The SD program sounds like a good thing. Hugs.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Linda,
I'm sorry kt is experiencing such anxiety. Praying for a peaceful transition home. The SD program sounds like a good thing. Hugs.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Discharge is still a go! :bravo:

I spoke with kt tonight & that girl is wired. Friday night will prove to be quite the evening....I can tell already.

Think it will be a quiet night with pizza, videos & sewing. kt started a new doll family last weekend & wants to sew clothes this weekend.

Linda,

I'm so sorry this had to happen so close to discharge!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well on friday and kt will be sleeping in her own bed on friday evening!!!

I agree that this must have happened because of her anxiety level. I hope the increase in her medication helps her!!! Poor kt!!!

As I always say, life with difficult children is NEVER boring!!! It's like being on a constant roller coaster ride... I just wish we could get off it every now and then...

Anyway, I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers :angel:... I've never been in a situation like you're in now and I can't even begin to imagine the pain you're going through... :sad: Sending lots of cyber hugs and an extra cyber shoulder to lean on... WFEN

Linda,

I just responded to your post and then I saw your update!!! I'm so happy for you :smile:!!! It sounds like you'll have an absolutely perfect friday night!!! ENJOY!!! You've worked so hard to get here... :bravo: :smile: :smile:!!! WFEN

On_Call

Linda,

I am so glad the discharge date & time are still on. Sounds like you have a great Friday night planned - I think a quiet evening with pizza and sewing sounds perfect. Ease right into things with activities that kt enjoys.

The SD after school program sounds great! Wish we had one here! It is so hard when the social gap between our difficult children and their peers keeps widening. That is the way with our difficult child, too. He has been out of our sd for just about 5 months now and the few classmates from here that were calling have stopped calling altogether now. He is so saddened by it. He continues to participate in orchestra, karate & bowling with peers, but doesn't see that as "having friends". Hopefully the after school program will be great for kt! Crossing my fingers she gets accepted into it.