Tips for new computer setup?

susiestar

Roll With It
husband and I bought a new laptop this year when the tax $$ came in.

It is MINE, all MINE BWAAAHAAAHAHAA!

No, really, husband said my "old" laptop would go to the family room for the kids and I get the new one just for me. We really needed a new 'puter cause Jess was having real trouble with one website for her math curriculum. We paid for the curriculum, and I want her to do it. She loves it, but the computer kept throwing her out of it.

SO, now I am on the new one. I have to figure out all the set up stuff.

Any helpful hints or tips? soemone had a link to get rid of Norton, could I have the link? Norton and Macafee drive me crazy.

Also, it is a Compaq, why does it keep wanting me to get HP updates?

We even got a new printer, scanner thingy and some virus software I don't know the name of (or where husband put it ) with it for $30. We didn't need the printer, but OK.

husband even got a copy of Office 2007 (a full edition!!:thumbsup: ) from work just for ME!!! So I have bells and whistles and don't know what to do with them.

Thanks for ANY help!!

Susie

F

flutterbee

I just go to Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs to get rid of Norton. I remove a lot of the preinstalled junk that I don't want.

As far as the HP updates, is your printer HP? If so, that's what the updates are for.

All I can think of for now. Everything else is going to pretty much be based on how you're going to use it.

Lothlorien

I have office 2007. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I don't use all of it, but I'm very, very familiar with Word 2007, because I use it all day long.

Is your printer an HP? If so, that's why it's prompting an HP update.

Norton will definitely slow your computer down. I got Bit Defender from the computer guy. It was 25 bucks and works well. It does not slow my computer down.

trinityroyal

Several years ago Compaq was bought out by HP, but they retained both brands (aimed at different types of computer users I think).

I too would remove anything pre-installed that you don't want or need.

Have fun!

Trinity