Ugh... upstairs bathroom leak...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Looks like we have a major leak from an upstairs bathroom above the kitchen. It must be running down inside a wall because now our laminate flooring is bubbling up from underneath as it soaks up the water. And the baseboard is splitting apart on the corner of a doorway, plus there are now small cracks in the drywall of the doorway. Even the cats notice it! I'm afraid to go up there and look ...:sad-very:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Is this board bathroom curse?
Ugh I hope it isn't too bad.

Sometimes just covering you eyes and not looking works. I can send you the girls magic wands.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It looks like it's the toilet valve that's been slowly leaking. It felt wet when I touched it to turn it off, and there was a little bit of water on the floor near the baseboard behind the toilet. I guess I'll have to have a plumber come out and replace the valve. But I just had that toilet and new valve installed about three years ago -- so in my opinion it shouldn't be leaking. I'll be sure to call the plumber I used before and see if they'll just take care of it.

nvts

GVC! Just as a reminder: take a look at your homeowners policy. If you have an HO3 policy (all perils) the leaky toilet isn't covered, but the resulting water damage is.

For example: you have a leaky roof - water runs through and damages the ceiling and walls of the room underneath. The roof is your problem, but the ceiling a walls are covered. If you have an endorsement called an RV 839, it's at full replacement value less the deductible on the policy.

Hope this brightens your day a tiny bit!

Beth

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks for the tip, Beth. Unfortunately, our deductible is $1,000 per incident -- I do that to keep our premiums lower. I doubt there's that much in expenses for this. It's just the annoying inconvenience of it all. :(

Thanks, Sharon!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
When we had a "good" friend watching our house up in Idaho. We were doing him a favor letting him stay there.

He never noticed the bathroom toilet running non-stop... for 6 months!!! It had a leak running into the ground.
But you could hear it.
Let's just say he was sleeping in and staying out late a bit too much. Doing some things he shouldn't have.

We received a bill from our water company. Almost $2000.00 for 6 months!!!
They only read the meters every 1/2 year back then.
So when we asked him to just by chance go and look around and listen for any sounds.

WOW, hmm, the toilet had a fricken simple leak that was fixed in a 1/2 hour!

"Oh, wow man that was what that noise was?" You have to imagine someone who is smoking A LOT of pot saying this!

I was so mad. All we asked was for him to watch over the house, for free!

I hope yours is easy to fix and cheap! And not very inconvenient.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm replacing the flooring, sink & toilet in the upstairs bathroom during this remodel project. When the plumbers went to seat the toilet they noticed the drain from the toilet not only wasn't draining (except into my kitchen ceiling ~ I can see it now) but the drain was put in the wrong direction. In other words a mess.

Saying that I'm looking at around $800 extra to have that drain replaced. All I'm asking is that you look at the drain from the bathroom & replace the toilet at the same time. It will be well worth the money to make sure the drain isn't a problem.