Uhmm..Runaway- did you know this?

klmno

I'm just wondering if you knew that google (supposedly) has an ad for "hot singles" on the side of my CD forum page with a photo of a blond, half-dressed young woman saying "want to meet her- she's 3.5 miles away". I don't know if we all see the same ads or if they are somehow being tailored to each person's computer- and I have a teen male here. (I don't mean someone from the CD board is tailoring them- I am wondering if google or FB can tailor them. It's asking if the user wants to befriend her on FB.)

SuZir

They seem to be tailored by area. My adds are on language probably none of you would understand a word of. So they just take IP (and likely something about a topic of the board ) to see where you are from and what customer segment you could belong to and give you your local adds.

klmno

They must be looking at IP and searches. My son has been using FB a lot and I've started researching new cars. The ad just changed to a car ad.

Malika

I've never actually noticed these ads but, yes, they are there... I clicked on it and it came up with a page of info, including this

While Google often shows you ads based on the content of the page you are viewing, we also show some ads based on the types of websites you visit, view, or where you interact with an ad or other Google product supported by Google's advertising services. In doing this, Google doesn't know your name or any other personal information about you. Google simply recognizes the number stored in your browser on the DoubleClick cookie, and shows ads related to the interest and inferred demographic categories associated with that cookie. It's our goal to make these ads as relevant and useful as possible for you. Google doesn't create categories, or show ads, based on sensitive topics such as race, religion, sexual orientation, or health.

klmno

Well, personally I think google, facebook, or any of those like that who start advertising "hot girls" based on firguring out a teen male probably uses the computer has crossed the line. I don't find that tasteful, prudent, much less professional.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Apparently it looks at what you've been typing lately, too. I have one for wilderness camps for troubled teens... And another for formula!!!

donna723

The Google ads that I get here seem to all be based on things we've been discussing here! I have mine set so the page goes all the way across so there's no ads on the side, but I get a band of ads under the first post in the thread. The one that's up now had an ad for a boarding school for defiant teens, a "test" to take to see if you're bi-polar, a law office specializing in divorce, a guide for surviving divorce, and a program for runaway teens! It seems to automatically pick up on key words in the threads and then put up related ads. I have also seen that ad you mentioned with the young woman but I saw it I think on Facebook, not here.

Last edited:

DDD

Klmno, that same "hot girl" lives 3.5 miles from me too. Strange since we live in different states. I do NOT understand the ad targeting. I guarantee you I have not posted anything to draw the attention of a "hot" anybody, LOL. DDD

klmno

Klmno, that same "hot girl" lives 3.5 miles from me too.

:rofl: :rofl:

Good- I'll tell E they made a mistake and he needs to go live with you if he wants to pursue her. LOL! He said he'll be there as soon as you want him to be.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL I closed the browser and reopened, after posting elsewhere, and I have the SAME ads... Uh oh.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I only get a few ads, usually concerning behavior problems, medications, and treatments. I guess I just don't type anything interesting into my computer. LOL

InsaneCdn

I don't ever go to the main page for the forum anymore... i.e.

Instead, I go directly to the current forums - and I do so JUST to avoid those same ads.

DammitJanet

That same girl is near me too and she wants to be MY friend!

When we were on the thread about Slsh and thank you, it had an ad about a funeral home. Most times with if I am on the page I see ads for bipolar.

Lothlorien

There is a button on the ad or very near it that says "Ad Choices" If you click on it, there are options to opt out of targeted ads. I see a picture add for Vistaprint, which I always use and then text ads for behavioral issues and medications.

R

runawaybunny

The way google explains it their algorithm serves "interest based" ads based upon the sites and searches that come from the computer you are using... In my experience their system is sometimes not even close to accurate. I'm the only one that uses my old laptop and have never searched for anything related to dating Russian women, but I have been seeing a lot of those ads displayed by google lately.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/#toc-personalize

google said:
What information is used to personalize ads on Google search, Gmail, and other Google properties?

When you search for something on Google without being signed in to your Google Account, the search results page shows results and ads that match your current search terms and location. If we think that the ads will be more relevant, we may also use recent searches for related topics and ads that you’ve clicked to decide which ads to show.

When you are signed in to your Google Account, we may use additional information to decide which ads to show. For example, we may use a recent previous search if we think the searches may be related, like a search for “New York” followed by a search for “hotels” – this can indicate that you want to find out about hotels in New York. We only use recent searches because it usually doesn’t make sense to draw connections between searches that are very far apart in time.

Another way we can personalize ads on search is by using your Google Web History. For example, if you recently clicked a search result for a surfing website, and then searched for “vacations,” this can indicate that you’re interested in vacation destinations where you can surf, and you may see ads for surfing vacations.

Additionally, we may use information that you tell us about yourself to personalize ads on search. For instance, certain products may give you the opportunity to tell us that you really like a particular retailer or brand and we can use that information later to show you ads for merchants and products & services that we think you might like.

In Gmail, most of the ads we show appear next to an open email message and match the contents of your email. When we personalize ads, we display ads based on the contents of all your emails. For example, if you’ve recently received lots of messages about photography or cameras, we might show you a deal from a local camera store.

Not all ads are personalized to you on Google search, Gmail, and other Google properties. We personalize ads only when we think the additional information improves the ad selection for you.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/#toc-optout

google said:
How do I opt out of interest-based advertising?

If you prefer not to receive interest-based advertising in web browsers, you can always click the “Opt out” button on the Ads Preferences Manager. When you are accessing the web through a web browser, Google also offers a number of options to permanently save your opt-out settings in your browser. After you opt out, Google will not collect interest category information and you will not receive interest-based ads via Google when accessing the web through a web browser. You will still see the same number of ads as before, and Google may still show relevant ads based on the content of a web page, or other non-personal information. For example, if you visit a gardening site, Google can determine the content of the site and may automatically show ads related to gardening to all visitors without using a cookie. Additionally, whenever we serve an ad on Google search or on the sites of our AdSense for search partners, the ads which are displayed may still be based on the search terms you enter.

If you prefer not to receive interest-based advertising in applications and other clients that use anonymous identifiers, you can always opt out using the appropriate preferences manager.

Read more about opting out of interest-based advertising in applications and other clients.

klmno

I tried the "opt out" after reading Loth's reply but they are still showing up. It's not a big deal but I would prefer for it not to be there, given a choice.

donna723

I noticed that in your original post, you used the word "tailor" several times. Today I have an ad showing up for custom-made suits!