Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This summer, Wee has gotten even more hyper. His impulse control has gotten worse - he is frequently in someone's face or throwing things at someone. He is starting to back talk and is getting more defiant.

It feels that my patience has been tested to the end. Just being with him is exhausting.

T the last shooting practicec, he was deliberatly scaring other people's horses, so for now, even activities like that are out. Last weekend, hauling hay, I asked him to toss me my water bottle from the hay trailer. He threw it overhand, with excessive force, and hit me in the chest, and left a bruise.

I'm not sure what else to do with him.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

I know the feeling.
Adderall helped for my difficult child. Now he's on Concerta.
Can your difficult child handle a stimulant?
Does he feel badly about hurting you?
My difficult child does (except when he's raging) and will immediately stop what he's doing.
I would get him in some other sports--running, baseball, you name it. When I sent my son to summer camp when he was little, there was always a section on the application that asked, "What would you like to achieve most with-your child's camp experience?"
I always wrote, "Wear him out!"

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Stimulants are out. Actually, all ADHD medications we've tried have been a disaster.

He feels bad when he hurts someone, but he doesn't hang onto it long enough to prevent the next incident.

Team sports are out (except for the adaptive athletics offered thru the country agency). He just can't handle it. He's in adaptive swim lessons (1-2 kids per instructor) but it doesn't start until the end of September.

We have a swing indoors and he swings hard for literally hours a day. If he's not outside, he's swinging.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I can so relate to just being with him is exhausting! I'm sorry things are so rough with Wee right now. All ADHD medications have been a disaster for my difficult child as well. Clonidine has helped some with the ADHD symptoms. Hugs.

KTMom91

I can relate as well, Shari. Is there any kind of a kids' marathon running group near you? We have a kids' triathlon group here in town, and I'm amazed at the amount of energy those kids use up.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am going to see if I can get ins to cover Intuniv. When we trialed it, it did seem to help some, and he's been worse this summer than he has in a several summers. I worry about what winter will bring.

Ins refused to cover Intuniv before - and its over $500 per month out of pocket. So I will be on the phone again tomorrow.

what about tenex?

maybe ins will cover it in that form...might be worth asking the question, and then use that as ammo to get the intuniv covered.

you never know, and its a good argument for the ins. co...weirder things have happened!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Tenex seemed to work, but we couldn't give him a small enough amount to not knock him out. This was the same problem with both clonodine and tenex. I was cutting the pills into tiny fragments and they always initially knock him completely out (plus clonodine made him mean when it wore off - like a bad hangover).