What do you enjoy most about your difficult child?

F

flutterbee

I know we've done this before, but I feel a need to do it again. I've been so frustrated with difficult child lately and can feel resentment creeping in and I don't want to feel that way. So, I figured a little reminder would do me some good. :)

difficult child: very creative; when she is determined to do something she figures out how to do it (teaching herself to knit, not giving up on the more difficult guitar lessons...she keeps plodding along); makes the *best* scrambled eggs; will muster up all her courage to do the things that cause her the most anxiety - even if it does take a lot of prodding on my part...I can visibly see her struggle to cope and I'm always so proud and it makes my heart hurt at the same time that she struggles so much; laughs at the goofy things; is so wonderful with little kids and pets; loves tradition and family meals

So, that's a start. :)

Sheila

Lots of things, but I adore his spirit. He's always swimming against the tide, but keeps on trying.

He's my hero.

Steely

You know what I love the most about my difficult child? Is that he loves his mom.

With H. dying, you would not have imagined or believed the compassion, empathy, and counseling this kid has tried to give me. It is a new leaf for him - and to me it shows that he is capable of many things.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Both my difficult child's really do love me, even if difficult child 1 doesn't show much respect (typical teen, right?).

difficult child 1 loves to solve problems and fix things -- I think he'll make a great engineer or architect or mechanic one day :D

difficult child 2 has a huge heart and LOVES animals and little kids. He'll make a great daddy some day.

easy child/difficult child 3 is smart as a whip and ubercreative. She's got a head for managing money well, and will likely be the entrepreneurial business owner out of the lot.

husband/difficult child 4 -- I'm still trying to figure him out ;)

TerryJ2

Great idea, Heather.
LOL, MeowBunny! I would have said that yesterday. Today is better. Each day is different ...
So, let's see ... his dimples and smile and huge brown eyes, his willingness to hug me even though he's 11 and a boy, his remembering sometimes to ask me how my day went (he even scores points over husband when he does that!), his love of the dogs (and command of them), his grace on the baseball field.

terryboberry

I see several people noted that our difficult child's love animals and little kids - ditto! Interesting!
My difficult child also is also very affectionate. I'm glad about that. He also likes telling me all about his feelings. Now often I am frustrated with how much he talks and that everything he talks about revolves around his issues. But, compared to my 16 y.o. easy child daughter who doesn't tell me about her problems or let me help, it's kind of nice that difficult child asks me to help him.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I love kt's spirit - kt is a basically happy child. I so appreciate her creativity, whether it's music or art.

I love wm's dimples, his sense of humor & I have to appreciate his never say die spirit (though that spirit isn't used for good at this point).

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child has a great sense of humor and knows how to laugh at himself! When he's not the one causing the pain or grief he is the most empathetic person I know. He absolutely hates to see someone feeling sad if he didn't cause it. One example of this happened today. husband just told me that difficult child has been asking for something for his birthday that easy child also wants. He told husband to get it for easy child instead of him because he wants her to have it (and he knows with easy child she is not likely to share it with him).

Sara PA

I always liked my son a lot. He's a kind, compassionate, intelligent, articulate, insightful person. He's optimistic and fearless. Even when he was angry, hositile, violent and psychotic on the SSRI, that real person came through from time to time and we were able to have some good times, all things considered. Except for the worst times of The Bad Years®, I always enjoyed my son's company.

Oh, and he would insist I add that he's funny.

dreamer

My Buffy is without any doubt at all The Most Forgiving Person I have ever ever known or met, anywhere, ever. I am very proud of this and very happy with it MOST of the time, LOL- but, it can also be one of the more difficult things she has in her, LOL. She is also the most careing, most compassionate, most sympathetic and empathetic, and generous person I know. To the most extreme. She sees only the good in most people.....always. and she would give anyone and everyone the shirt off her back.

My youngest difficult child? He has such resilience, and the funniest sense of humor. He is very laid back- altho- again- sometimes this is also something that frustrates me at times, LOL. He is flexible, adaptable, maleable and can easily go with the flow in almost any circumstance.

Andy

I love to hear him sing (both my kids are very good singers). He loves animals and is very kind to kids (when he is not angry with them). He is a businessman at heart (his back up plan is to be a bank examiner when he grows up if his other plans don't come true). He is a good worker (likes to clean the bathroom!). I love to see him in class plays and musicals - my little boy who refused to be in front of a crowd for any reason was the shining star at this year's school musical - he actualy came home excited that he got the part he wanted (I don't think he realized at the point it meant being in front of an audience but he learned his part well and did very well that teachers were coming up to me and asking if that was really him.) He is exploding out of his shell this year and it is fun to see the good characteristics emerging.

babyblue31

What I love the most about my son is how he says that our kitty is his best friend, The way he sometimes wipes my tears away and says in his little voice mommy don't cry, His one dimple on his right side of his face, His beauitful blue eyes, And most of all the way he says mommy I LOVE YOU

witzend

Honestly, they both remind me a lot of me at their age. I think it gives me hope that at least they won't do anything too awful!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
What do I love most about my difficult child? The fact that she is going to summer camp for 4 weeks!!!!!!!!! But on a serious note - I love the smile on her face when it occasionally comes out. She is very funny and has me in stitches when I'm not in tears.

crazymama30

Yesterday I don't know if I liked anything, but since he's not awake yet and I am leaving to go workout and then work, I like him today.

One thing I like is that he is a great sleeper.

Ok, ok now for real, I love it when the sensitive child show through. I enjoy watching him figure out his homework, because he is so smart (about some things anyways.) I love him for what he has taught me, that following the beaten path is not for everyone and that some of us march to the beat of our own drummer, and that is ok, and that he has taught me soooo much patience.

LittleDudesMom

Wow, that's a hard one. I love him because he's him. It's hard to say what I love the most, I guess it would be his ability and desire to overcome his challenges. He's worked really hard to be "like everyone else". He struggles, pretty much daily to be part of the group; he never gives up with it.

Not to metion, he's pretty cute and love his mom!!!

Sharon