What happens when difficult child grows up

Christy

Wondering if any of you knowledegable folks know what happens when a difficult child taking lots of expensive medications turns 18 or 21 (if going to college) and is no longer able to be covered on parents insurance. My difficult child is only 8 so I don't have to worry for awhile but I question his ability to hold down a job with benefits. Is it possible to get disability or medical assistance for bi-polar disorder?

Thanks for you insight~Christy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Christy since we just went through this I can address your concerns.
If your son is deemed disabled by the agencys Dr. he will get Supplemental Security Income. Anyone receiving SSI is automatically enrolled in Medicaid.

We also have our son covered under a special umbrella in husband's insurance for disabled/special needs adult children.

So the first step is to have him apply at about 17 so that you have enough time to get through the system. Once he is approved and turns 18 he will receive benefits.

I found this all out as I went through the system. It is intimidating but the info is on the SSI site that is posted above.

StepMomLMP

Fran - we finally started this process. SO has an appointment next week with SS. My question is does difficult child have to be with him at that time? he's still in NC with his Mom and won't be back yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes smoothly and quickly.

Christy

THANK YOU for the information, it is very helpful. I will make it a point to read up on such things. He currently recieves medicaid in addition to our insurance because he was a special needs adoption. I will look into our insurance policy and see if there is some stipulation for special needs children/dependent adults.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Stepmom, your ss will be considered an adult at 18. You will not be privey to anything your ss doesn't want you to know. They will not talk to you unless ss gives them permission.
Your husband can apply to be a representative payee. They will then include you as part of the team.
I keep telling them that difficult child is clueless but they won't talk to me unless difficult child is on the extention to give verbal permission.

All this means is that I am pretty sure your son should be there. Call the office and ask.

O

OTE

Cristy.. check the original adoption papers re when the Medicaid from a special needs adoption ends. I've never heard of it going past 18. But I believe in most states an individual agreement is made for each child so your paperwork would be the only thing with a real answer.

StepMomLMP

Thanks Fran - since he's not here I guess SO will go alone and he is still 17 and they said that was fine. Once he turns 18 in December then I guess we'll deal with it then. I can't see how they can make a mentally challenged child in charge of their lives if they can't remember to shower and change clothes....

Fran

Former desparate mom
StepmomLMP,
there is an option of a representative payee. Basically you are responsible to help difficult child live within the SSI rules. You can have a joint checking account that is strictly for son's use. If you are not an appointed representative Payee, you can not have your name on his bank account.

StepMomLMP

Thanks for the info Fran - will pass along to SO so he can ask at his appointment tomorrow. What in the world are you doing up at 3:45 in the morning!!!

StepMomLMP

Any idea what kind of income level is too much to get denied? Since they base it on the parents income SO is worried he makes too much $$....

StepMomLMP

Well I guess you have to make very little - they wouldn't even take the paperwork and send it on until he reaches 18 and considered an adult. So I guess we are just SOL and suffer.