what if...

Ktllc

Sweet Pea cannot talk? She barely makes any sounds and the few sounds she makes have been the same for months now...
She resorts to screaming every time she needs/wants something. She almost never uses the sounds sponteneously, sometimes she will attempt to repeat when I prompt her. She studies my lips but cannot immitate.
Her therapist said there are no way of knowing if she does have an expressive speech disorder/impairment until she is over 24 months.
The good note: she is very bright and her understanding got a lot better.
It just worries me that her expressive language has not progressed.
I have used limited sign language with her for a while, but the therapist does not really reinforce it that much.
I'm wondering if we should really push signs since she responds to it very well and actually uses ALL the signs she knows.
Of course I cannot help comparing her with my 2 boys (one developped speech late and V was an early talker). But she is different!
The screaming thing is really becoming annoying.
Phew... I wish I could stop the worry. She is a happy little girl after all.

SRL

At this very young age, I'd resist going that particular "what if". She's young yet, and there's still a lot that can be tried, including giving it more time, a different therapist, or use of medication (which sometimes can help kick the language processing into gear).

How long has she been in speech therapy?

Ktllc

It has been only 2 months. The part that puzzles me is the difference between understanding and expressing. She was equally delayed in both but I think therapy has helped her understanding, but not her expressive language.
She is 16 months and I see her try to make words but it always comes out with the same "a" or "ma" sound. It almost feels like the words she used to say (mama, papa in French, dada in english, bye, her own name and one other I forgot already...) were just a dream.
Kind of something happened between 9months and 10months, and her ability to talked vanished...

Malika

I have read that about 25% of the diagnosed cases of autism are of "regressive autism" where a child develops normally in the first year and then regresses, losing speech that has been acquired.
Could this apply to your little girl? Obviously it could be a false trail and a false alarm but something to flag up with the experts?

Ktllc

Malika, that is not what is happening. She has excellent social skills. All of her areas of developpement haven been tested. The only area that is delayed: language.
I think the screams are really getting to me (and husband). Everyone is frustrated.
She the kind of little girl who knows what she wants, but can't express it right now. All she has is grunts, screams or gestures. Which, I know, ultimately are good signs that she uses everything that she knows to communicates. But it is not enough.
SRL, out of curiousity, what medications are you talking about?
ps: at her age, it is playtherapy focused on language, not actual speech therapy.

Malika

Ok, ktllc, just tossing out an idea - you are on the ground and know what is happening. I know it's frustrating for autism to be suggested when that doesn't feel appropriate :)
Really sounds like you are doing all you can do. As it happens,the little girl who lives next door, who was two last week, also does not talk but screams when she wants to communicate. However, her parents scream all the time and I am sure that is not your case...

InsaneCdn

ktlc - There is more to a child's development than language development.
I'd be tempted to bump up the sign language stuff - get her communicating which will reduce the frustration which "should" reduce the screaming...
Sign language IS language.
If speech isn't coming fast enough to not leave "bruises on her soul" (B. Coloroso)... find other ways to communicate.

buddy

Sweet Pea cannot talk? She barely makes any sounds and the few sounds she makes have been the same for months now...
She resorts to screaming every time she needs/wants something. She almost never uses the sounds sponteneously, sometimes she will attempt to repeat when I prompt her. She studies my lips but cannot immitate.
Her therapist said there are no way of knowing if she does have an expressive speech disorder/impairment until she is over 24 months.
The good note: she is very bright and her understanding got a lot better.
It just worries me that her expressive language has not progressed.
I have used limited sign language with her for a while, but the therapist does not really reinforce it that much.
I'm wondering if we should really push signs since she responds to it very well and actually uses ALL the signs she knows.
Of course I cannot help comparing her with my 2 boys (one developped speech late and V was an early talker). But she is different!
The screaming thing is really becoming annoying.
Phew... I wish I could stop the worry. She is a happy little girl after all.

Every single bit of research shows that taking the frustration out of communication through a non verbal method like signs or pecs helps a child develop communication and allows development to continue. That then relieves stress and they can work on the verbal more. Kids do not get lazy and use the non verbal methods so no worries there.... speaking is much much more efficient in most situations so once they can do that they will. You know enough about child development to not be NOT giving her enough time to try to formulate and communicate (like if she points to something she wants to just give it to her... give a minute to show it and model it for her and try to get her to make ANY sound.... then little by little build on it.. if she says ba for cereal, then eventually bala...that is two syllables etc.... anything that allows her to grow and connect her verbal attempts but if she uses any language..inc sign language that can really keep her from developing negative problems.

Here is what I would say if you were in my office, lol.... it is general advice so not going to risk any law suit...haha. Keep on signing. If she responds well to it really build it. There are many reasons kids develop speech later and for her it could be very different than your other two...even a motor issue called apraxia of speech...but it is not easy to know this yet. It is hard to tell at her very young age what the exact nature of this is but the main thing is to develop communication. Your mommy gut is leading you the right way. Keep playing verbal games, keep encouraging any sounds....(minus the screams).... silly play etc. car sounds, airplane sounds, baby sounds, etc. You know the drill! VERY few kids do not develop some form of speech without an overall delay that you would be seeing by now. (like cp or more severe autism etc.) Q barely talked by age 3...NOW??? holy cow I wish he would shut up.

Ktllc

"sign language is language" you are so right! Thats why I'm not worried abou her overall devel. She gets signs so well and verbal language is coming.
I will talk to her therapist tomorrow and ask to push signs. All that screaming is just playing with our nerves!
husband is usually pretty distant with all the therapies (although he keeps himself informed), but he actually asks me about signs a lot now! Anything to stop those high pitch sounds. lol
Buddy, I can SO relate with no talking for years and then you can't shut them up! LOL Partner was well over 3 before he became verbal. Now? Oh my!! He talks quite a bit.

C

Confused

Ktllc,
The fact she is in speech is great and the signs you both taught her! My sons first and second speech therapist used sign language with the words,which we continued at home. The his now third therapist only needs they words. As you know because of your son overcame a speech delay, it takes time,especially depending on how severe it is. Persistence is easy but patience with them while they are screaming because they are frustrated, hard. My son's screaming and anger is another issue I think because is speech is better but still in progress! ( still at not understandable really have to listen and hope he says it slow)Also, dont forget the miror trick when your little girl speaks, and have you behind her so she can see your mouth and how your tongue moves on words. Just an idea! I agree with InsaneCdn,sign language IS speech!!! Also agree with everyone else here! :)

zaftigmama

Exactly what the others said. Sign language IS language--heck, POINTING is language. She's trying to communicate, which is more important. Autistic children, generally, have delays in the area of communication, not just language--won't follow a point, return a smile, etc. So from what you're saying, it doesn't seem as if autism is the issue here. Not a professional, of course, this is JMO.

There's a great DVD series--it might be available on your PBS Kids or Sprout--called Signing Time, developed by the mother of a deaf child. My kids loved the series; might be something to check out.

ready2run

my easy child is 3 and never was able to talk until just after his second birthday. he used to point and make a noise that sounded like 'psstd' which meant literally everything. i made a comment to difficult child's worker that i was starting to get worried about him not talking and within a week he had a dozen or so words. some kids just take longer than others and at 1 yo, i would try not to worry about it yet.