What's your favorite Christmas candy?

I always love those Hickory Farms pastel colored melt-a way mints. I couldn't find them this year at Target though. Oh, well. I remeber getting these clear toy lollypops as a child, loved those! Does anyone know who makes them?

I always get my kids Life Saver storybooks, I know my boys are too old, but who cares? They love that.
Also I get them each a box of Jelly Bellies, the kind with the flavors sepatated. I end up eating most of them!

H

HaoZi

Kiddo prefers Reece's Cups, hot chocolate with crushed candy canes, and a Tootsie Roll bank, but to me Christmas will always be the taste of chocolate-covered cherries and the smell of a brand new box of Crayola 64.

DammitJanet

In my family, chocolate covered cherries were a tradition for me, Billy and Jamie. Cory cant stand cherries so he and Tony got those pecan turtles.

Its funny...I always wrapped up the boxes...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hershes Kisses were ALWAYS in our stockings - but now that I'm diabetic borderline and do sugar free?

I haven't any dreams left to dream.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My great-grandmother's old-fashioined fudge recipe! :bigsmile: My grandmother used to make it, then my mom started to make it, and one of these days I'll have more time to make it again. It melts in your mouth... mmmmmm!

My other fav is the maple sugar candy that comes in various shapes: maple leaf, santa, tin soldier etc. I only got it at Christmas...

H

HaoZi

I think the after dinner mints are pretty close to those mint meltaways, but I could be thinking of something else.

Janet, my dad always wrapped a box of those cherries for me, too, I loved it! Kiddo won't touch them, she hates cherries.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Peppermint bark. I especially like the Ghirardelli peppermint bark layered over dark chocolate. I'm not a big fan of sweets, but I love those. They're expensive so luckily I don't buy them too often and they are a seasonal offering so I can't get them year round (not a bad thing for me)

witz, what's "Divinity"? GN: Did you ever try the Williams-Sonoma brand of peppermint bark? It's good!

witzend

UAN, Divinity is a meringue candy made of egg whites, sugar, and corn syrup, and you have to use your candy thermometer and have low humidity to make it. When made right it's melt in your mouth creamy richness. On a rainy day, it's sweet goo and not very good. It's a Christmas treat that you often make when making fudge, and I vaguely remember my grandmother making it when I was almost 3 years old, before her Alzheimer's made her unable to do that sort of thing again. It's really the only fond memory I have of her.

H

HaoZi

Divinity is... divine. It's something I've found can only be properly made by grandmothers, often old church ladies, and sold at their bake sales. No store-bought confection bearing the name does it justice.

donna723

Not that I really liked to eat it, but when I was a kid, my grandmother always had a candy dish full of the old fashioned hard candy out at Christmas - the "ribbon candy" and the ones with little designs inside them. And in this candy mix there were always a few little red ones shaped like raspberries that had a raspberry filling inside ... I'd always pick all of those out before my brothers or cousins could get them! They still sell the stuff and every time I see it, it reminds me of my grandparents house at Christmas!

Last edited:

klmno

Oh, I love those ribbon sticks, too! Homemade chocolate covered cherries are an old favorite of mine. Someone where I used to work brought in a ...well, I'm not sure what to call it......it was chocolate on a dab of caramel and I think that was on a pretzel. It was very good and I'd love to get that recipe but I don't know what it was called. I've heard a lot of people like marzipan but it was always too sweet for me... I'm a chocolate nut myself.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The ribbon candy... And my Mom's fudge. Although I made it for the first time this year and it's almost exactly like! One of my big gripes is that it's either grainy or too marshmallow-y. And rum balls. Though I don't remember the ones Grandma made having coconut in them... Hmm.

I just love Christmas anything, really...

DDD

My Mom's Divinity..........she wasn't a good cook but her Divinity has never been equaled. Store bought just doesn't hack it!
Darn, I bet I dream of it tonight and it's too humid for me to even try to make it.

by the way, I can't remember who in our CD family it was but we had a candymaker in the group who was awesome. She made
scads of very cleverly designed and shaped candy for a big fair maybe ten years ago and I bought a bunch to give as Christmas presents to customers. Awesome! DDD

trinityroyal

And how could I have forgotten! Quality Street!

The other stuff is available year-round, but Quality Street only comes out at Christmas.