why would my son have a "suboxone nano kit"?

startingfresh

I just went through my son's room top to bottom and among a massive mess, I found a suboxone nano kit. I know he smokes pot heavily but this is new to me. Anyone know?

startingfresh

I just did some more googling and it appears to be something you use to vape. Guessing he is using it to vape marijuana but can't be sure. Thank you LBL for the link.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Are you sure it's 'suboxone' and not 'subohm' or something similar? A nano-kit is a type of vaping kit.

Vaping marijuana requires a special cartomizer (smaller top part), unless he has managed to find a source of THC e-juice, which means he's got a source for BIG money as well.

My guess is that he's just vaping...for flavor or nicotine, or both. There are nicotine-free flavored e-liquids as well. Nearly all vapers are former tobacco smokers, and in many countries, vaping is a recognized (and very successful) quit smoking method.

Tobacco users usually cut down on nicotine content as they continue to vape. Some even zero out. Some quit vaping, but quite a few continue to vape nicotine-free juice because they've come to enjoy the flavors...(and there's the something to do with your hands thing.)

startingfresh

GN yep you are exactly right i read the box wrong. it is “a subox nano kit”. If he can vape marijuana in that perhaps that is why I don’t smell typical weed smell ?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Is the top part glass or plastic, a funny looking mechanical/wire coil thing, or a metal cylinder? If glass or plastic, he's vaping e-juice like I was talking about.

If it's the funny looking mechanical coiled wire thing with a flat top, vaping e-liquid via a method called "dripping", which produced much stronger flavors and a larger cloud of vapor (some people are really into producing large clouds of vapor. It's called "cloud chasing". You need a sub-ohm kit for that. If it's a solid metal cylinder where the entire top lifts/screws off, he's vaping weed, wax, or shatter. Open the top of the cylinder and take a sniff. Your nose will tell you. An "oven" for vaping weed or byproducts REEKS. There is still some odor when vaping weed or weed products, but not as much as when smoking it, as the product isn't burned, but rather vaporized. My suspicion is that he's just vaping, maybe dripping. You can post a picture of the device or PM me one and I can give you a more definite idea of what it is and what it's used for.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Is the top part glass or plastic, a funny looking mechanical/wire coil thing, or a metal cylinder? If glass or plastic, he's vaping e-juice like I was talking about.

If it's the funny looking mechanical coiled wire thing with a flat top, vaping e-liquid via a method called "dripping", which produced much stronger flavors and a larger cloud of vapor (some people are really into producing large clouds of vapor. It's called "cloud chasing". You need a sub-ohm kit for that. If it's a solid metal cylinder where the entire top lifts/screws off, he's vaping weed, wax, or shatter. Open the top of the cylinder and take a sniff. Your nose will tell you. An "oven" for vaping weed or byproducts REEKS. There is still some odor when vaping weed or weed products, but not as much as when smoking it, as the product isn't burned, but rather vaporized. My suspicion is that he's just vaping, maybe dripping. You can post a picture of the device or PM me one and I can give you a more definite idea of what it is and what it's used for.
I am so saving this post. GM you have no idea how many times some of us moms have sat and debated how to tell if they are vaping weed! Thank you!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I found a picture online since I only have the box. He only left behind a glass piece

kanger purple edition subox nano - Google Search:

That's a basic, inexpensive, SAFE, vaping setup (and a good one!). The glass bit is part of the "tank" that holds e-juice. Not to worry. He isn't vaping weed.

The ONLY type of "weed" he could vape with that setup is e-juice containing actual THC, not marijuana itself. THC e-juice is prohibitively expensive.

While I hate that he's started vaping as in his case he's probably working on a nicotine addiction, too. It's still healthier than smoking tobacco.

The part that actually heats up and vaporizes the e-juice is called a "coil". On a unit like your son has, the coil fits into the tank and the box below it which contains the battery and controls. That type of coil has to be replaced frequently as they gum up.

On a "drip" unit, there is no tank, and the user drips e-liquid directly on the open coil(s) a drop or few at a time. Those coils are often "rebuildable", which means the wicks and wire wrapping can be replaced. (some vapers make a hobby out of this sort of thing, if not a fetish.)

Be aware that the more advanced units with replaceable batteries, and/or homebuilt units, can be dangerous. This is where the exploding e-cigarettes you hear about happen. It is almost always due to user-error in the construction process and basically involves a short circuit and battery leakage due to overheating. (leaky batteries, when overheated, release hydrogen)

The unit your son has has a built in battery (like the units I use) and is perfectly safe. NO rechargeable device that uses lithium batteries (including your phone) should be left unattended while charging.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You're very welcome startingfresh. I've been vaping for 5 years or so now. I started as a way to quit tobacco, and have done so successfully. I have also dropped my nicotine usage way down over the years.

While I still use a slightly fancier version of the "mod" your son is using. (And e-leaf battery/control pack with a Kanger tank and coil system), it's basically the same deal.

I never got into the fancy stuff. Eventually, the batteries on my mods will die. I've already had to replace one of my mods due to this, and another one is taking longer and longer to charge, so I'll have to replace that as well.

They're simple and kind of out of date, but they work for me and I don't approach this from a hobby/fetish perspective.

I am NOT in favor of people who are not already nicotine users starting to vape nicotine. It IS addictive, and while the "tars" in tobacco, as well as the additives specifically in cigarettes, are what cause lung damage, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and can strain the heart and peripheral vascular system.

Still, so far, vaping is recognized by several western countries as a viable and successful tobacco cessation method, and is considered to be much safer than smoking tobacco.

If I were to have a child and find out they were using nicotine, I would be relieved to find out they were vaping it as opposed to smoking tobacco. We would still have a long talk about the damage nicotine can do, and how inhaling synthetic chemicals isn't good for anyone.

As regarding peripheral vascular disease, I'm diabetic on top of being a long term nicotine addict. I have noticed a distinct improvement since I cut my nicotine usage way back.

I also notice an improvement in my lung function until I moved to a major metro area and am faced with horrible air pollution. My lungs are now worse than when I was living in a pretty pristine environment and smoking 2 packs a day.

Littleboylost

If I were to have a child and find out they were using nicotine, I would be relieved to find out they were vaping it as opposed to smoking tobacco. We would still have a long talk about the damage nicotine can do, and how inhaling synthetic chemicals isn't good for anyone.

My Kid is killing his lungs and his brain smoking unfiltered toba with his pot in a bong hit..... it is revolting to think about the dmage he is doing.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My Kid is killing his lungs and his brain smoking unfiltered toba with his pot in a bong hit..... it is revolting to think about the dmage he is doing.

Ugh. Yeah, I've heard about that, and I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.

Going back to my pot smoking days, when I was already smoking cigarettes, I didn't smoke cigs while smoking pot because the nicotine interfered with the pot buzz. The combo of cigs and weed was also hard on the lungs and gave one a horrible cough.

Out of a bong would be just awful. You're dragging tobacco tars DEEP into your lungs that way. Now, in some countries/areas, it's common to smoke cig tobacco and marijuana together in a joint called a spliff. This is done to stretch the pot. But the mixing and using a bong is something I only first heard of a few years ago.

I don't doubt it wreaks havoc on the lungs. Has he started with the cough yet. Sounds like chronic bronchitis/Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) waiting to happen.

Littleboylost

Ugh. Yeah, I've heard about that, and I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.

Going back to my pot smoking days, when I was already smoking cigarettes, I didn't smoke cigs while smoking pot because the nicotine interfered with the pot buzz. The combo of cigs and weed was also hard on the lungs and gave one a horrible cough.

Out of a bong would be just awful. You're dragging tobacco tars DEEP into your lungs that way. Now, in some countries/areas, it's common to smoke cig tobacco and marijuana together in a joint called a spliff. This is done to stretch the pot. But the mixing and using a bong is something I only first heard of a few years ago.

I don't doubt it wreaks havoc on the lungs. Has he started with the cough yet. Sounds like chronic bronchitis/Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)) waiting to happen.
Oh yes the hacking and coughing is disgusting. There will be a whole generation of early onset Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) patients.

BusynMember

Lbl, you said it. These young people who use pot in a haful way also usually add to the damage by smoking cigarettes, both lethal for lungs. A double whammy.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oddly, studies so far have shown that pot, grown cleanly, doesn't do much lung damage.

Tobacco, especially the pipe type tobacco used in the bong method...ugh! That's not even meant to be inhaled.

I'll have to do some research and try to figure out what the point of this is supposed to be, as it sounds entirely counterproductive.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that tobacco smoke paralyzes the cilia and slows mucus production in the airways by contact. This would allow marijuana smoke to penetrate deeper and more fully into the lungs so more is absorbed.

That's that's one horn of the purpose behind the bong: it lets a toke get much deeper into the lungs and hence get you higher, and it allows you to get much more out of a small amount of pot/hash.

I was never a fan of bongs because I could never get high beyond a good buzz due to paranoia and hallucinations (of an unpleasant kind) setting in.

This, I suspect is due to my mental health issues and not to pot.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OK. First of all. It's called smoking "moles" or "mole bowls". Apparently the mix causes an intensification of the high (a more active high), while damping down the anxiety or paranoia that some pot causes some smokers.

The term used by medical personnel to describe users of this method is: "respiratory cripples". It's really dangerous.

Europeans often mix to make the weed last longer, and primitive cultures, where tobacco is often a sacrament, commonly mix as well.

Something to be aware of is that some users in the US are going so far as to use waterpipe (shisha) tobacco in the mix. Shisha tobacco is the strongest of all tobaccos, usually flavored, and definitely not meant to be inhaled. It is meant to be held in the mouth so that the nicotine can be absorbed from the smoke into the bloodstream via the mucous membranes.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Littleboylost

Oddly, studies so far have shown that pot, grown cleanly, doesn't do much lung damage.

Tobacco, especially the pipe type tobacco used in the bong method...ugh! That's not even meant to be inhaled.

I'll have to do some research and try to figure out what the point of this is supposed to be, as it sounds entirely counterproductive.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that tobacco smoke paralyzes the cilia and slows mucus production in the airways by contact. This would allow marijuana smoke to penetrate deeper and more fully into the lungs so more is absorbed.

That's that's one horn of the purpose behind the bong: it lets a toke get much deeper into the lungs and hence get you higher, and it allows you to get much more out of a small amount of pot/hash.

I was never a fan of bongs because I could never get high beyond a good buzz due to paranoia and hallucinations (of an unpleasant kind) setting in.

This, I suspect is due to my mental health issues and not to pot.
Your issues can be from the pot especially if it is high in THC. The Nicotiene hits the brain and gives a huge buzz Before the pot high. It trashes the kings and is damaging to the brain.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Your issues can be from the pot especially if it is high in THC. The Nicotiene hits the brain and gives a huge buzz Before the pot high. It trashes the kings and is damaging to the brain.

Yeah. The stuff about the buzz is what I read. My issues are a reaction to the THC. That was with the pot of the day (70's), so I can only imagine what it'd be like with today's stuff.

I do use CBD (THC free and legal) for pain management and find it very helpful with-no side effects.

With 70's high quality weed, one bong hit was enough for me. Hearing voices and seeing things is not my bag. I'm on Latuda currently to prevent that sort of silliness, LOL.