Wimp, wimp, wimp

slsh

member since 1999
I have an almost pathologic dislike of doctors. I don't go unless I'm near death. I take the kids like clockwork and make husband go (hypocrite that I am).

When I had the back surgeries in Sept, I decided it was time to grow up and be a "responsible adult", take care of this body that obviously is getting a bit on the worn side.

Started with the dentist since I knew there were issues. Since November, we've seen each other all too frequently. We're on a first name basis now.

My new pal blessed me with a root canal this evening, and I am not loving it. Oh. My. Gosh. He made it sound so simple. "I go in, clean out the root, pack it with rubber, blah, blah, blah." I'm thinking not more complicated than a filling, right? Never knew I could be so wrong.

I think he *must've* drilled into my brain. I am such a baby!!

And can anyone explain why a person who is perfectly capable of administering multiple medications on a pretty complicated schedule to 2 kids is incapable of remembering to take 1 antibiotic pill 3 times a day?? I mean, the bottle is sitting in front of my computer screen, which *I* sit in front of at least 10 hours a day... what is up with that???

I think a glass of wine is called for - alcohol kills germs, right???? :wine:

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I so don't go to the dentist or Dr. So I can understand. I would hate to see what a dentist would want to do to me. Glass of wine sounds good.

Beth

klmno

Take the wine- it always worked better for me than any pain killer they prescribed!!

And- I'm just like you when it comes to docs, medications, and especially dental and eye stuff. Oh, yeah, that other area too.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Sue,

Ouch! I so hate dentists-I go but had a bad experience when I was a child. I remember one yelling at me and it took me til well into my adulthood to find one I trusted.

I can understand the medication part. I get medications ready for three of us each morning (even my own dose). I get medications ready for difficult child 3 other times during the day, yet I can't remember to take my own afternoon dose of my medications!

Hugs and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sue

I'm not especially fond of doctors either. Avoid them like the plague, which gets me majorly fussed at when I finally do make my way in to see one. (you should hear my nephrologist! lol)

Childhood seeded fear, based in that my mother never believed any of us when we were sick, and would tell us even while dragging us (usually near death) to the doctors that HE wouldn't believe us either. And threatening dire consequences if it turned out we actually WERE faking. Of course ours lives were made miserable even if we were sick..... So actually it didn't make much difference.

So now, thanks to dear ol' Mom, I have a irrational fear that no doctor is ever gonna believe a word that comes outta my mouth. Because of that I don't have a whole lot of trust in them, either.

Yet none of my kids went thru that.

Dentists? Oh, my! I never saw my first one til I was a grown adult with 3 kids. (Mom wasn't wasting hard earned money on pretty teeth)

Now I'm a person who can watch some of the most gross surgeries ever performed and eat a snack during them. But if it has anything to do with the eyes or mouth I just can't tolerate it. I admit it, that is my weak point.

I'm sitting here with a severe need to see a dentist. So severe I may find myself in dentures when I finallly drag myself there. I'm planning on having easy child and Nichole literally drag me to the dentists as soon as our tax return gets back. That way I won't whimp out.

I wasn't too bad til I got a dentist who decided to pull a wisdom tooth that didn't need to be pulled. Now why he thought he'd have no trouble with it I still don't know, as the other wisdom tooth roots were literally wrapped around my jawbone. (surgeon had to break a tiny piece of my jaw to extract it while I was sedated) He pulled while I sobbed cuz the anesthetic wasn't working although we'd both lost count of how many shots he'd given me, he cut the tooth in half thinking that would help, no go......

And yeah, haven't been back since. Gee, I wonder why?? :faint:

Know where you're coming from. If he didn't give you a darn good pain medication, get him on the phone first thing in the morning and demand one!!

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hate, hate, HATE the dentist. I beg them to put me out just for a cleaning. Hence, I haven't seen one in a few years. Ugh.

On a positive note, one of the best things I had done was a root canal. The pain relief was amazing. I'm quite sure he doped me up REAL good when I went in. Didn't feel a thing. Been through 3 since then.

Hope you feel better!

Abbey

busywend

:tongue:LOVE the dentist! Of course, I have only had cleanings - so it is always easy. I have no idea why me teeth do not get cavities - must be in the genes. I hope difficult child got them genes - cause she does not even brush hers!

Anyway, I know how it is to not have time for one's self. I think it is typical - we all strive for 'Wonder Mom' of the Year! Ridiculous! We are all human and if we do not take care of ourselves - nobody else will.

Think of it as teaching your children to be independent adults or you will end up doing everything for them all their lives! Yikes!
:tongue:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My knuckles still turn white from gripping the chair, even during those seemingly painless cleanings! I hate the dentist too....but.......

Please find a way to remember to take your antibiotics - it is CRUCIAL to avoid infection, which would be waaaaay more painful that what you've experienced so far.

LittleDudesMom

I'm weird like Busy I guess, I love going to the dentist. Didn't have my first cavity until a couple years ago. I love getting my teeth cleaned every six months!!

In regards to other docs, I've reached the point where I just use an internist (don't need an ob since I'm not having kids any time soon :tongue:)and she does everything! Once a year I get my pelvic (pap), a physical, a mole check, my blood work, and my mamogram, and anything else that may be an issue! It all happens in one location and takes less than 2 hours. It's what I like to call "one stop shopping".

Take those medications slsh and I hope the wine helped! It ALWAYS helps me :crazy1:!!

Sharon

Tiapet

Old Hand
I can understand it. I take about 22 pills a day now. Yup 22! (due to some serious health issues that have come up over the last years) I have them laid out in those weekly pill minders that run by the day (am, noon, pm). I carry it with me from room to room. Yet I still forget to take them sometimes. Or worse yet, will think I took them even looking at them. The worst happened one time when I thought I didn't take them and actually did and then took the next days (confused my days!).

I've since learned that it's all the stress we go through that can do it. Some how we are on auto pilot for our kids and others (and we know how important it is for them) so we get it right but for us, we can't seem to manage it.

{hugs} Don't be so hard on yourself, we're all human. As said above, the key is just to remember to finish it. Take it as soon as you remember (so long as you are not double dosing at that time however!)

Tia

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
And can anyone explain why a person who is perfectly capable of administering multiple medications on a pretty complicated schedule to 2 kids is incapable of remembering to take 1 antibiotic pill 3 times a day??

Maybe because you're good at taking care of everyone else but yourself?:tongue:

I have to take a virtual pharmacy every day. To make sure I take my afternoon dosages, I've got alerts programmed into my computer and cell phone to "remind" me to take my afternoon medications.

wife calls it the "take your medications so you don't go postal nag-alert". Goes off like clockwork.

Lets see. I have ADD, can't remember my own name half the time. Get medications, but have to remember to take the medications, but I have the memory of a goldfish thanks to ADD.

Anybody see the movie "Catch-22"? Methinks a lot of us here at CD live that situation every day...

Mikey

susiestar

Roll With It
I totally understand the dentist. My first dentist actually slapped kids for crying. But he was the one my dad went to, so my mom took me there. Moms were NEVER allowed in the room.

I am FINALLY at the point where I trust our dentist not to hit my kid, but for me even cleanings hurt for days. Hate them. But it is not uncommon. When they finally get me in there they give me gas, topical anesthetic, and then I require about 3 times the normal amount of whatever is in the shot. That is for a filling. for cleanings I just get gas. Sometimes he will send a xanax scrip for me to take before the appointment.

None of you can top my dad. He avoided the dentist for cleanings for TEN years. Mom would make appts. I can remember dropping him off. He would just go into the first door to the building, then wait for us to leave and go out again. And I wonder where the kids get the sneaky gene, LOL!!!

When he finally did go, he ended up with major gum problems. And valium. The dox gave him valium to cope with getting there.

I am sorry the dentist didn't give you full info on the root canal. I hope he sent you home with pain medications. If not, CALL and ask for them. No reason to be conscious during all this, at least at night.

Hugs,

Susie