Would I really miss my couch?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Everyone in my house fights over the 2 recliners in the living room. Ok, they don't fight. But they are definitely the preferred spots. Largely, the couch and loveseat are only for anyone who's "leftover", or folding laundry.

The couch and loveseat are nice - leather with recliners on the ends. But they are almost never used.

I'm debating selling them and getting a couple more recliners, but...I've never seen a living room without a couch.

Would I miss my couch?

trinityroyal

The way I see it, a couch is intended to provide lots of seating in a contained space. If you have the room for 4 recliners, then I don't see why not.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- is there anything I do on the couch that I won't be able to do on the recliners? (e.g. fold laundry)
- can I do <whatever> somewhere else that's equally convenient?

If you can answer "yes" to both questions, then I think that your plan will likely be fine.

Gosh, I can think of lots of fun ways to arrange furniture with several recliners to play with. A long item like a sofa can be a bit limiting...

Trinity

KTMom91

We haven't had a sofa in years. Not enough room. We had three recliners, but when both mine and Hubby's broke, we got a loveseat-type thing, where both seats recline, and there's a console in the middle to store remotes and stuff like that.

klmno

I don't know- I'm sitting here right now trying to decide what to sell next to cover utility costs.... sigh... I was going to sell a TV but they don't seem to sell for any money. I hate the thought of losing my leather sofa and other furniture besides what's in difficult child's game room.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I love my couch, I couldn't part with it. I use it to take naps, watch TV, and snuggle with my grandson :)

This reminded me of something that made me laugh, though.. last year I dated a guy for a little while, who had no couch in his living room. In a dating situation, it was kind of odd to go over to his house and watch TV or a movie from separate corners of his living room lol. It didn't help that his chairs were incredibly uncomfortable. But I do remember when married, I didn't really care so much about sitting next to my husband while watching TV :p

susiestar

Roll With It
Whether it is normal or not shouldn't matter. What matters is if it would fit the needs of your home. If there are recliners for each of you make sure one is solely for YOUR use. Throw a giant size hissy fit whenever ANYONE else sits in it. Otherwise you will ALWAYS be stuck with whichever one is broken or has something spilled on it. You do enough of the work and wage earning and child care that you DESERVE to have a place that is just YOURS to relax in at any time that the opportunity strikes.

I am serious. Your kids are ALL old enough to know that some things are MOMs and NO ONE touches them or they regret it for a long long long LOOOOOOOOOOONNGG time. Heck, I would assign those people who are the most likely to sit on them when filthy, stinky or to spill on them or misuse them so they break to the most worn out one I could find. I would also probably keep it covered with a blanket.

If you get into your mind that it is YOURS and that you are going to keep it nice because you deserve it, and you decide that regardless of their reaction you are going to have the big hissy fit - as dramatically as possible - you WILL end up with a spot to sit in that you don't have to fight for. It will be good for the whole family. i promise. Just be creative about the hissy you throw!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shari--

Why not just get a sofa and/or loveseat that also a recliner? It's the best of both worlds. We have one...everyone loves it. In fact, husband sold his recliner at a garage sale because he prefers the reclining loveseat!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No one even sleeps on the couch...if someone doesn't sleep in their bed, they sleep in the chairs! Including me.

husband and I have been marrried long enuf that I don't care if I have a couple feet between us.

One recliner that we have now is mine, and I pull rank when I want it. And no one questions me. LOL It is my chair, and they all know it. But I'm generally up and about, so...

Our couch and loveseats have 4 recliners built into them. But still, no one uses them unless we have company over. And we have an oak bar stool that is shaped like a saddle...people generally sit on that before they park on the couch (and the couches ARE comfortable...we've just never been couch people)

So I'm thinking instead of the couches, at least 2 more recliners, maybe 3 or 4. Or we could hang up a couple of those hammock chairs...Wee loves them, and I know the rest of the fam would, too.

I think this might be a plan....

susiestar

Roll With It
Go for it!!! No sense wasting space on something no one uses. You might get a good price on them if you sell them on craigslist.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... This reminds me of our living room... We have a 6-foot sofa and one armchair.

The armchair's mine unless we have company over - and because you cannot see the television from it without breaking your neck, no one sits there much. I don't watch much TV, so I do. LOL!