Yankee or Dixie?

Lothlorien

I scored 60% Dixie??? I think that's a riot, since I've lived in NJ most of my life. When I lived in PA for a while, my friends all used to call me the city girl. Then again, I'm just a little North of the Mason Dixon line (Yes, it runs through NJ!!!)

Take the test....

http://zanylol.com/yankee_dixie.html

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category

This is interesting to me. I have lived in the midwest (Iowa) most of my life. I have lived for 2 years in the Difficult Child area and 2 years in GA otherwise Iowa. That is really intriguing.

Beth

DDD

As we used to hear as kids "the South may rise again" :rofl:
At 75% I guess I am an urban Southerner. Thank heavens I haven't
turned into a small town hick Southerner...lol. DDD

meowbunny

52% Dixie -- barely in the South. This is really strange considering a lot of my answers put me in Great Lakes Region -- an area I have never even been to in my life. My family is from the South. I lived in the Pacific Northwest most of my adult life, so where in heck did the Great Lakes answers come from? sheesh!!!

F

flutterbee

57% (Dixie) which really upsets me after the conversation tonight with my idiot, arrogant, egotistical, ignorant, self-centered, arrogant, maipulating, idiot, lying, conspiracy theorist, idiot (did I already say that one?) southern ex.

smallworld

45 percent Yankee (barely in the Yankee category), which makes sense since I grew up in Connecticut, but have lived in the Washington, Difficult Child, area for 25 years.

46% Yankee, but everyone round here says we have a southern accent. I attribute my low score to having grown up in California and overseas, and TV. And some of the local dialect is rubbing off as well, I noticed that several answers were "common to the Great Lakes".

43% Yankee.

Most of the turns of phrase indicated a Great Lakes area influence.

And that is certainly accurate, as I have lived near the shores of one of the Great Lakes for most of my life!

We DO use the phrase "you guys" up North ~ much the way a Southerner will use "ya'll".

Interesting too that television seems to have influenced our speech patterns to the degree that it has.

Now, why should it be that the voices and accents we hear on television can override the accents and mannerisms of those we hear in our real lives everyday?

Patterns of hospitality differ, as well. Southerners, because the weather is nicer, share a casual, easy kind of hospitality. Northerners, who must, for the most part, host any gathering inside their homes (also because of the weather) are less likely to allow someone new into their circles of friends.

Having come from the North, husband and I are frequently taken aback at the easy, chit-chatty friendliness of Southerners.

It can be disconcerting, at times.

I suppose that, the longer we are down here, the friendlier/chattier we will become, too.

It's an interesting thing to observe.

Barbara

DDD

I've never heard a single solitary soul say "bubbler".

When I married husband (Minnesota & Conneticut) my children thought
he was "weird" for a number of reasons. Mainly, though, he
never referred to all soft drinks as "Cokes"...he used and still
uses the word "Soda Pop". The kids would shake their heads as if to say WTH??? :rolleyes: DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
38% Yankee...hmmm. I grew up in and lived in NY, LI, for 31 years and have lived here in CT for the last 14, so why did I score so low as a Yankee....my gawd, I've become homogenized!!

Miscellaneous (who cares, right?) factoid:

What is the origin of the word "Yankee"? --Listener, WFBR, Baltimore

Cecil replies:

What's so complicated? You got your yankers, obviously you also got your yankees. However, I can't claim the etymological authorities are exactly lining up to embrace this notion.

The origins of "Yankee" have been fiercely debated throughout the history of the Republic, and to this day the Oxford English Dictionary says the source of the word is "unascertained." Perhaps the most widely accepted explanation was advanced by H.L. Mencken, the well-known newsman-scholar (and don't tell me that isn't an unusual combination), who argued that Yankee derives from the expression Jan Kaas, literally "John Cheese." This supposedly was a derogatory nickname bestowed on the Dutch by the Germans and the Flemish in the 1600s. (Wisconsin cheeseheads can undoubtedly relate.)

The English later applied the term to Dutch pirates, and later still Dutch settlers in New York applied it to English settlers in Connecticut, who were known for their piratical trading practices. During the French and Indian War the British general James Wolfe took to referring derisively to the native New Englanders in his army as Yankees, and the term was widely popularized during the Revolutionary War by the song "Yankee Doodle." By the war's end, of course, the colonists had perversely adopted the term as their own. Southerners used Yankee pejoratively to describe Northerners during the Civil War, but found themselves, along with all other Americans, called thus by the English during world wars I and II.

The alternative explanations--Mencken lists 16 of them--are that Yankee derives from various Indian languages, or from Scottish, Swedish, Persian, etc. James Fenimore Cooper claimed that Yankee resulted from a fractured attempt by the Indians to pronounce the word "English." But most others think Cooper was about as good an etymologist as he was a novelist.

--CECIL ADAMS

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never heard a single solitary soul say "bubbler". </div></div>

Neither have I DDD. Never.

I recall when husband and I were first married and we moved over here to Ohio. I call cokes and pepsi's and such "Pop". I'd never even heard the word "soda" used at that time. mother in law calls cokes "sodas". She'd told me I could help myself to a soda and I thanked her, then asked her what it was. lol

Our real mix up was with toasted cheese sandwiches. (this should've been on that quiz by the way) We grew up calling them cheese toasties. When I first heard them called "grilled cheese" I thought how gross, now who would toss cheese on a grill? :rofl: When I told mother in law I made my kids cheese toasties for lunch she was like HUH? And I was surprised I had to explain.

DammitJanet

70% Dixie which makes sense since I grew up in Richmond Va, now live in NC but my parents are from Boston...lol.

Cory is only 67% Dixie...lmao and he was born and bred in SC and NC and talks with a hugely southern accent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scent of Cedar II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patterns of hospitality differ, as well. Southerners, because the weather is nicer, share a casual, easy kind of hospitality. Northerners, who must, for the most part, host any gathering inside their homes (also because of the weather) are less likely to allow someone new into their circles of friends. </div></div>
Case in point: around Chicago, as a rule, toll collectors will say nothing at all, or at best an automatic "thank you". Two or three times a year we drive down to Oklahoma and have to pay a toll on the Will Rogers Turnpike. As a rule the toll collectors there are quite friendly - "How are you all doing tonight?... $3.50 please... Thank you! Have a good evening!" -- said with a broad smile.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH DEAR - I said OH MY .....out loud with my score and will ONLY reveal I really, really, really, need to get home.

I will not be sending the results to my 100% Yankee family