12:30am call from sheriffs dept-made my heart stop! (all ok)

S

Signorina

We have a local emergency alert system which called us at 12:30 am about a missing elderly man - awaking both of us. H took the call & immediately left the bedroom w the phone when he saw the caller ID. I laid in bed and tried not to throw up. Of course both of us immediately thought "oh no, what did difficult child do now?; here we go again".

Dang difficult child PTSD.

Not thrilled with the Sheriffs dept either. I not sure it was an appropriate time to make those robocalls about the missing man. I am sure they scared a lot of people.

DDD

I completely understand the PTSD thing triggered by unexpected calls. It's really hard to breathe when you have your heart in your throat, isn't it? on the other hand I'm not sure what my opinion is truthfully on the robocalls. I "think" I "think" that it is a good thing to do Silver Alerts and Amber Alerts asap. Often with the elderly they wander in the dark confused and unaware of the dangers of ponds, being misidentified as dangerous intruders on other people's property and also being targets for troublemakers. Thought provoking past. So glad it was NOT a difficult child related call. Hugs DDD

InsaneCdn

Personally I think the police dept should use a different number to call from if it's a person on the other end vs. a robo-caller. That way, parents of difficult child kids won't get so many heart attacks. If you can look at the number and KNOW it's a "robo-callout"... then it isn't directly about YOUR kid, Know what I mean??

FlowerGarden

Definitely understand your reaction to the phone call. I think InsaneCdn has a great idea about making robo calls having to show a different # so you are aware of the nature of the call and don't automatically worry. My neighbors mom was found wandering around at 2:30 in the morning. Luckily someone out having a smoke noticed her. Annoying as they are, I think the robo call was necessary at that time.