A positive about face

mstang67chic

Going Green
Hopefully I won't incur the board jinx by posting this but.......... difficult child had a psychiatrist appointment. today. Previously, he had stated that once he turned 18 it would be no more counseling, no more case management and no more medications. In the last week or so, he's spoken with the CM who will be his adult CM and told her that he will be keeping services and today told the psychiatrist that he will be taking his medications.

I waited till we were in the car and then asked him what changed his mind about the medications. He surprised me with his answer simply because it was a mature and thought out reason. (We don't see much of those around here! LOL) He said that he's "not right" without his medications....can't sleep, feels weird, mad all the time, etc. I couldn't resist and told him that he's not right WITH his medications. I said it with a laugh though and he took it well. (He just walks right into these things sometimes though! LOL I got him again tonight. He was looking at an older picture of himself and said something about how he was an ugly kid then. I said, "What do you mean WAS?" I think he actually blushed! LOL)

So, as of now anyway, he plans on continuing with all services and has actually shown an interest in knowing more about what I do to arrange things. He even signed a release today at psychiatrist's so that husband and I can still call about appointments and talk to them. I'm not sure when the pod people snuck in but I'll take it for as long as it lasts!

I find it interesting that once they turn 18, they start cooperating a little bit more. It's like all of the posturing they do when they are 17 goes out the window, because, we can now throw their butt out of the house. It took a lot of pressure off of me when difficult child turned 18, because I didn't "have" to take it anymore.

I hope difficult child continues to cooperate.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This may be a good solid step in the right direction. Because it's the exact same reason Nichole gave me. And so far, she is responsible when it comes to treatment and psychiatrist and medications.

My theory is that medications gave her a chance to feel to some degree what "normal" feels like. Not completely, because no medication is perfect and there are always the side effects. But enough that they begin to realize and understand that we as parents aren't just "making stuff up".

Keeping fingers crossed that this is the first step for difficult child setting his feet upon the right path.

Hugs

N

Nomad

This sounds great! I know how good it feels when they take a positive step.