A Positive Little Update

LauraH

My son spent the night with us last night because he had an early interview at a nearby diner this morning. After he got back from that he started calling various agencies listed on some literature he had gotten from the ER the night he was detoxing, including two or three sober living homes. That's all pending (and depending on if they will work with him on the rent while he's underemployed) so we'll see how far he pursues this, but it's a start.

He also left to go to a couple of places to put in job applications. At least one is an hour walk for him. That might have been my cue to offer to scrounge up money for bus fare but neither my husband nor I offered, and he didn't ask.

Around 2 he came back from wherever he had gone to help us get out the Christmas decorations and start getting things set up while listening to our favorite Christmas CDs. He's gone again, to the library to use their computer to apply at a few more places, maybe going somewhere else as well but I'm not sure, and then coming back around 6 or 7 to help us set up the tree we bought a couple of days ago.

It's been really pleasant having him around last night and today, and the interruptions and distractions while I was trying to work were minimal, so no complaints there either. (Of course it helped that my husband was home today so he could divert some of that). Will this last? Maybe, probably not. But I'm enjoying this moment as this moment and hoping for more moments like this going forward.

elizabrary

I agree- accept the good times as they come with no expectations. Hopefully he will land a job and things will continue to look up!

LauraH

No expectations, good or bad. Each day (or even each hour) will bring what it brings and I will respond accordingly. But I really believe that him being forced to take care of his medications situation on his own has encouraged or even empowered him to continue to pursue meeting his other needs on his own. Crossing my fingers, anyway. And he has two interviews for tomorrow!

LauraH

He certainly is trying hard. Is he really considering a job that he would have to walk an hour to get to?

That was from our house. I'm not sure how far it would be from where he's staying or from one of the sober living homes he could possibly be getting into. Plus he should be able to take the bus; he didn't have a pass or money for bus fare today, though, since he hasn't gotten his first check from Pizza Hut yet. Also I'm getting him a 31-day bus pass for Christmas.