a somewhat practical question....

Lil

Bull. There is a legal and leisure library, I'd bet money on it.

He's in the county jail still, isn't he Echo? That is possible that they only have legal books....but I have to admit, I kind of doubt it. Even the little county jail I used to go to 20 years ago when I was a public defender had paperbacks.

nlj

A story about karma:

I lost my purse today.
cash, credit cards, driving licence, gym membership, etc, etc

I though it was gone for good. I phoned the bank and cancelled my credit cards.
I phoned and reported my driving licence lost and paid for a replacement.
I sat in my car and felt like s**t.

A few months ago I found a wallet in a concert hall, underneath a seat as I was a leaving a concert. I handed it in of course and the owner was traced.

I drove home today, after spending a stressful hour searching and feeling tearful, and my phone rang. A coffee shop about 10 miles from my home. My purse had been handed in. Everything still in it, even the cash.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, except that it has renewed my faith in human nature and made me trust in karma.

What goes around comes around.
We're sad and struggling with our children.
We do what we think is right.
We help each other with our experiences and support and advice.
We wait and hope for the wheel to turn.

Difficult Child's mom. Again. Always.

Yes.

(sorry, no book suggestions in this post!)

donna723

Our facility had two different libraries. There was a legal library with law books and references, and then there was the regular library where they could go to do leisure reading or check out books like any other library. Two completely different things.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Our county jail has an extensive library but they change the policy constantly. I would think having books and providing a way for family members to maintain a connection would be a positive all the way around but like anything else it gets political after a while.

Glad you got some things sent Echo. Holding you both close in my heart and prayers.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I just want to say that I read Lamb recently, and it was a literal laugh out loud book -- good choice :)

I dated a guy a long time ago who'd spent some time in prison (don't ask). His favorite read while there? The Thorn Birds. Shocked me - but he said he read and re-read it.

Albatross

Just getting caught up, Echo.

I am thinking, if it were me I would have a lot to adjust to, so something along the "guilty pleasure" lines would be about right. As Jabber said, something with just the right amount of escapist tone.

My son came back again and again to "Hatchet" and its sequels by Gary Paulsen. Also, "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer and "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.

I really, really love your signature line, about being Difficult Child's mom, again and always. It made me tear up when I read that.