Absolute miserable pain today

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I cannot pinpoint why exactly, but my entire body, joints, muscles, bones just ache - all over. I've had body aches since the knee surgery so I was attributing the aches to that and PT (using muscles that haven't been used in a while). And I am just terribly exhausted. My sleep pattern has been a mess since the surgery as well. The other night I went to bed at 10:30 and for the first time in 3 months, I slept through the night. Last night I passed out at 9:30, woke at 12:30, fell back askeep at 2:30 and woke this morning at 6:30. I feel like I didn't even sleep and my body feels like there are pins all over.

I called my Dr but she is out today. I want to have a Lyme test done as our three dogs have been carrying in tics for the past few weeks and the little one sleeps with us. I've had Lyme before and I was told that I will always test positive, so is there any way for the Dr to tell if this is a flare up or a new case? I personally do not believe that a 21-28 day regiment of antibiotics is enough to kill Lymes, but that's the standard treatment, which I had, though I never felt right again.

I was thinking of going to the walk in just to get the lyme test ordered but I don't know. Maybe I should just wait until tomorrow and call my reg dr. I think I'm going to do my work and split early today. I just want to lie down. Just feel miserable and I'm sick of it.

I like to end on a positive so: My range of motion has increased to 123 degrees flexion and 0 degrees extension, yay.

DDD

Just sending caring thoughts your way. You've been such a good patient for so long that I imagine it is wearing thin. Hugs DDD

N

Nomad

Ditto. Please try to reast and nuture yourself. I hope you have a caring doctor and can see her soon.

buddy

I am so sorry you are feeling so yucky. Can you find an internist or rheumatology doctor that specializes in Lyme? I have heard that for some people it can go on for years. I hope that is not true for you but if so maybe at least it could offer treatments. Gentle Hugs.....rest as much as you can.........

Sorry you're in so much pain! Please make an appointment to see a doctor who specializes in the treatment of Lyme Disease.

Great news about your increased range of motion!

Feel better soon... Hugs... SFR

Star*

call 911........call 911
HNR - I'm sorry you're not feeling well - I can't imagine how you feel. Sending warm relaxing hugs and healing vibes.

DF did very well from his knee replacement, which I am told is pretty remarkable, and after the back surgery we both suffered through? I'm glad. Immediately following the surgery however? The muscles that had gotten so used to being used the adjusted and incorrect way which he had to begin to re-learn how to use aligned after they put his knee back nearly 5 inches where it should have been all these years - he was in so much pain. The doctor prescribed something called Soma and Flexeril. He still uses the flexeril at night to relax him - it's non-addicting and really does relax you. If I take one at 8:30 I'm out cold by 9:30 and sleep soundly (I'm a medical woos so don't go by me) I'm not sure about the Soma but they only gave him one refill and I'm pretty sure thats the stuff that caused him to destroy the library basket with the plunger in the hall bath - remember? DIE WEASLE DIE? -----So maybe if you get some of that? Use it cautiously or at the least remove the plunger from your bathroom.

Hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks ladies.

The ortho dr is not going to renew my script for the oxycodone - she wants to begin weaning me off that pain reliever by putting me on something else. Their next choice is Hydrocodone (vicodin) but I can't take that - makes me seriously want to end my life). I will ask about Soma, whatever that is, never heard of it.

The PT told me yesterday that I have about 8 more visits and that they will be focusing on strength and continued functionality. He said i was doing very well, but lagging a bit since it's still uncomfortable to go down stairs. skip, walk a mile, or run. Oooookay, whatever you say. So I am thinking: Wean me off the good pain drugs as you increase my discomfort - yah, that makes sense. Yeesh.

Right now, this hour, I have in my system Robaxin (muscle relaxer), Oxycodone (pain reliever) and Tylenol (also for pain). It took the edge off a bit.

Lothlorien

Can you go to a walk in to be checked. You may need some bloodwork done, in addition to the Lyme's test. Did you check for fever? Just curious if you might be getting the flu. I hope you feel better.

If you have a lot of all-over body aching, but no fever and you've been checked for everything else, try Magnesium. It's my belief that most of us do not get enough Magnesium in diet and it is the root cause for a lot.

InsaneCdn

Good point, Loth... and then, check your calcium too... because you're doing a LOT more exercise than before, you're also doing bone-building... and that takes minerals!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If you have a lot of all-over body aching, but no fever and you've been checked for everything else, try Magnesium. It's my belief that most of us do not get enough Magnesium in diet and it is the root cause for a lot.

Thanks Loth, I already take a magnesium supplement every other day. I'm going to try an wait till tomorrow to see my reg dr. If I can go home and go to bed, then I can rest till the morning and see her.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Hi H&R, I'm sorry you're feeling so bad, sending healing thoughts and hugs your way..............I am no expert on Lyme disease, but I did have a friend who had it and she had symptoms for years. The good news is that she did a lot of research and changed her diet considerably and was symptom free after she got the dietary situation shifted. She used a more holistic approach, so I am not sure how that works for you, but I think Lyme disease can have the symptoms you're relating. As others have stated, perhaps a Dr. who specializes in Lyme.

trinityroyal

H&R, I'm sorry you're feeling horrible. I have no advice to add, just hugs and support. Hope you continue to make progress with PT and that you and your docs are able to find a good way to manage your pain.

DammitJanet

Jo...are you on extended release oxycodone? If so, they could decrease you to as needed percocets which are just oxycodone and tylenol together. I have no idea what strength you would have been on at the long acting but say you were on 20's, then they could give you 90 percocets to take as need, up to 3 per day. I am on 30 mgs of morphine extended release twice a day plus I get 90 lorcet which is just like vicodin to take for breakthrough pain everything month.

If I am wrong about you being on the extended release and you were already on percocets and they want to put you down to vicodin and its they hydrocodone you cant take, you could possibly take the actual codeine. You just might not be able to take the synthetic form. Codone is synthetic and codeine is not. That would be something like tylenol 3. Thats a pretty low pain killer. They give it to kids. Of course it does come in different strengths. You have probably had codeine in some cough medications. I really cant think of one lower since they took darvocet off the market.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Jo...are you on extended release oxycodone? If so, they could decrease you to as needed percocets which are just oxycodone and tylenol together. I have no idea what strength you would have been on at the long acting but say you were on 20's, then they could give you 90 percocets to take as need, up to 3 per day. I am on 30 mgs of morphine extended release twice a day plus I get 90 lorcet which is just like vicodin to take for breakthrough pain everything month. If I am wrong about you being on the extended release and you were already on percocets and they want to put you down to vicodin and its they hydrocodone you cant take, you could possibly take the actual codeine. You just might not be able to take the synthetic form. Codone is synthetic and codeine is not. That would be something like tylenol 3. Thats a pretty low pain killer. They give it to kids. Of course it does come in different strengths. You have probably had codeine in some cough medications. I really cant think of one lower since they took darvocet off the market.

Wow, Janet, you sure do know your pain relievers! The oxycodone I'm on is immediate release and it's only 5mg tabs. I can take one or two. Dr wants me to cut back to HALF a tab during the day as needed and one or two at night. She wants me to rely mostly on Tylenol or Advil (since I'm taking celebrex however, I cannot take advil). She will not do extended release. Her office called me back yesterday and renewed the script for the oxcodone and the robaxin for one last time. They can't decide what to taper me down to next for pain since I am so sensitive to vicodin/percocet, codeine and tramadol. It may be there is no other alternative.

I have a call into my reg dr this morning though and I want to meet with her about the possibility of having lymes as well as pain management because I just don't think my ortho doctor is all that savvy about long term pain management, Know what I mean?? It's like they are GREAT surgeons and immediate follow up care, but then they drop the ball. I feel like it's been a horrid guessing game part of the time. At my last appointment she honestly said to me, "Okay so we will see you in 6 weeks. Unless you don't feel like coming in, so in that case make an appointment for January - the one year anniversary" and then proceeded to caution me about infections and getting an antibiotic immediately if I get an infection of any kind. In the hallway, as I'm leaving. You'd think if it was of such importance, she would have told me about that in the office. My reg Dr is great and I trust her - she's not warm and fuzzy, but she knows her stuff, so I think I'm going to transition to her from here on out.

And Janet (Jody you too!), the knee is getting better - I probably have a lower pain tolerance than I did before the surgery since being on so many pain medications (that's typical). I wouldn't sign up to have my other knee done just yet, but I am glad I had this done. The logical side of my brain, as opposed to the whiney wishy washy side, can recognize that the pain I was experiencing for years is gone and that the existing pain will eventually go away. So there is hope - don't let my whining discourage you!!

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I can empathize with you. As far as Lyme, I've known 2 people who've had it and it's gone on for years (sorry to relay bad news) and they were told that it could go on. I hope that's not the case for you at all. My mother has had both her knees done and one of them she's had done 3 times (yes that is 3 times! due to a mistake the first time, recall the second time). They finally are at some relief for her through a Rhumatologist who gives her more of anti inflammatory medications that treat not just the knee pain but overall pain she has (she's 63).

DammitJanet

Well...sigh....I have one medication to suggest since you have given me a list. Ask to try ketoprofen. It is a fairly strong NSAID so they will most likely take you off the celebrex but it will probably do more for you painwise. They may leave you on the celebrex...dont know. I never liked celebrex. Did nothing for me. None of those Cox 2 inhibitors did. I take ketoprofen and then also rub on volteran gel but right now the gel is back ordered for some reason. Im praying there isnt some huge problem with the gel like it is killing people...lmao.