another medical issue

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by ctmom05, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

I visit here every so often, to read the posts & see how folks are doing; this time I am going to tell you how I am doing .. .. ..

I was diagnosis'd with breast cancer on Valentine's Day this year. This comes after many years of dealing with non hodgkins lymphoma

I have had my first treatment, with a bunch more to go - then surgery. Likely I am going to have a double mastectomy - even tho involvement was found to be on only one side.
    I've had radiation, for the nhl, in a very close by area - my doctor says "one & done" - meaning I can only have radiation once in my lifetime; so not a candidate for a lumpectomy. With my Mom, Sis, & maternal Gramma have had bc, I think this is the right choice for me

Until it was ME, I never realized there is more than one type of breast cancer. I have triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma

2. AppleCori

AppleCori Well-Known Member

Hi Ct,

I would do the exact same thing in your case.

My friend had BC more than a decade ago, and she had the mastectomy. My sis-in-law went through this a couple of years ago. Both are doing fine.

I'm glad you posted.

Stay with us and keep us informed.

It never hurts to have more people rooting for you!

Apple

3. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

Hugs, Chris.

4. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Sorry to hear this CTMOM, to me, this sounds horribly unfair!

I agree with going for the double mastectomy. My BFF's wife had a lumpectomy about 12 years ago.

She opted out of chemo, underwent radiation therapy, and was deemed cured after 5 years with-no recurrance.

Unfortunately, the cancer came back in her upper spine and then spread to hr lungs and liver. She died last year.

My BFF, her wife, died of sepsis a few months before, and J, who's cancer had recurred a few months earlier, in my opinion just gave up on living without her beloved. (They had been together for 36 years and had married as soon as same-sex marriage became the law of the land.

Had J had the full double mastectomy we were encouraging here to have initially and had she not been afraid of the cognitive side-effects of tamoxifen, she might still be around today.

From what it sounds like, your cancer was still caught fairly early, and you are going after it aggressively. I hope everything goes well for you, and that your insurance covers reconsstruction if so desired.

I saw a documentary the other night about a group of women tattoo artists who are doing gorgeous, one of a kind tattoos over mastectomy scars. I like the tattoos much better than the reconstructions myself,though reconstructed breast can have tattoos also. Something to consider once you are healed. This group works pro-bono.

5. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

I am so sorry. This just hoovers! Sending prayers and hugs for the absolute best outcome for you.

6. pasajes4

pasajes4 Well-Known Member

Prayers and many gentle hugs.

7. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

my new do ~

Attached Files:

8. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Chris. Well, there's one positive: you do have a nicely shaped head. Also, warm weather is coming (eventually), so hopefully, you won't have to deal with freezing as badly.

Hang in there, hon. I hope the chemo, etc., isn't too rough this time.

9. Copabanana

Copabanana Well-Known Member

I send prayers for the best of all possible outcomes and that the road for you be as gentle as can be. You sound strong and sure.

10. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

.. .. ..

The landscaping on my head, called hair, will even out once I lose the rest of it. Right now I still have some bald as an egg spots ~ thank you for your kind compliment

This is a totally different kind of chemo than I had for the non hodgkins lymphoma & somewhat harsher. I feel like the "Little Engine That Could" sometimes

11. mof

mof Momdidntsignupforthis

Prayers..warm weather is up lifting isn't it! Sending warm positive thoughts your way!

12. FlowerGarden

FlowerGarden Active Member

hugs and prayers for you

13. pigless in VA

pigless in VA Well-Known Member

More hugs and healing thoughts ~~~~~~~~

14. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sending healing prayers. My mom had a mastectomy over 20 years ago. She is doing well so there are great success stories out there and I know you will be as well. ((((Hugs))))

15. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

In the immortal words of one of my great uncles - God only made a few great heads. He put hair on the rest of them.

I am sorry the chemo is harsher this round. And that there has to be another round.

(((((hugs)))))

16. Suz

Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

Oh gosh, Chris. I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this challenge. Knowing you and your determination, it is obvious that you are facing this with courage. I have every confidence that you have picked the best way for you to go. I wish I could give you a very gentle hug. Sending lots of love.

Suz

17. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

I'm fortunate to have this kind of support - thank you CD friends!

18. AppleCori

How are you doing today?

19. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

I did well the last few days of this week & have chemo #2 scheduled for today

20. AppleCori

I'm glad you are feeling well.

How many rounds of chemo left after today?