Argh...computers

Abbey

Spork Queen
I guard my laptop with my life. NO ONE touches it but me. So, I get the daily message from Cox to upgrade my security software. I'm vigilate about this. I click yes, and get a message that they are migrating to McAfee. Just click another yes and we'll uninstall your current software and and install the new. So, I do it.

Computer is down.

It won't even boot up. Fortunately we have others in the house.

Called Cox...someone will call me between 3-5 today. Hello? I have a job interview today at 4pm. Well, that's the only time we can offer.

So now, I have to rely on husband to take the call. That is scary. He doesn't even know how to make a bed.

I guess that is one of the reasons I've never migrated to IE. Netscape has worked for me for years...I never upgrade because it works just fine.

Computers can be frustrating.

Abbey

Andy

Help desks who can't work with you in finding a convenient time to call are also sooo frustrating.

I had the following conversation with a cable company who I had to deal with several states away for local service:

"I just got home at 3:20 and found a note that I missed your service man. I told you when I set this up that I can not guarantee being home before 3:30. Can I set up another time?"

"Yes, 3:00 - 5:00" "I can not be home before 3:30, can you make that note?" "Yes, I will write that on the work order".

Next time, I get home to a note they were there at 3:10 and left so I call again, "Please tell your people to wait until after 3:30" "No, we can not" "OK, however, every time they show up before 3:30, I will be calling to reschedule." "Maybe you should ask a neighbor to wait for us." "I am NOT going to inconvience my neighbors and I will NOT be able to hang around 2 - 3 hours waiting for you." "Well, we are not allowed to write down a specific time, you have to be ready between the hours we give you." "OK, but if the service person comes before 3:30, they will have to cancel AGAIN!!!"

UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! What ever happened to customer service? If you want me to buy your product, you better be a little flexible and stay on my good side?

F

flutterbee

Computers can be so frustrating. I just said on Lisa's post how I don't let the kids on my computer. They're dangerous to them. And I *hate* having to rely on computer support. It *always* takes them 3 times as long to fix the problem as it should. And that's only if they don't make it worse first. And if you're not talking to someone in India.

As far as the scheduling, I've got another one for you. I moved in December. Initially I was moving to a different address and had the appointment set with the cable company for the installation. The day before I moved, I signed a lease on a different property one-half of a mile from the other place and needed the same installation.

So, I get on the phone and first have to go through this (I kid you not) 20 minute ordeal to cancel the other appointment which was scheduled for the day I moved which was a Saturday. Then when the lady goes to schedule the appointment she tells me she doesn't have anything until Monday. I asked what about Saturday. She said they're booked. No, you're not. I just cancelled and it's only 1/2 mile away. She said it didn't matter. It takes 24 hours for the cancellation to go through the system. Ok, so handwrite the order. I can't do that.

Isn't that just the stupidest thing?

Andy

It's because we no longer deal with local people. The cable people making the appointments have no direct contact with the service staff. The person you spoke with adds info to the computer which automatically sends out the orders. Computers have no common sense and can not handle exceptions. If you were able to call the local service person direct, there would be a lot more cooperation. Long distant staff just don't know how to make something work - they are given strict orders and no deviating from the procedure no matter what. No more customer support in cableland :(.

Computers are only wonderful if they work in a perfect, non flexable world - they can't handle anything outside the very strict procedures they are set up for and the powers to be in cableland have set the computer to accept only a block reservation. Their staff probably get just as frustrated as their customers.

This new world of technology has people trying to fit into a computer's way because we can't get the computer to work into ours. So sad policy is set around what the computer can or can not do.

Wonder what would have happened if you could have uncancelled, met the service people at the 1st address and take them to the second? The service man probably would have refused - he has to only do what his work order says at the address given.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Never called back during the scheuled time, so I made 5...yes, 5 phone calls to get it cleared up. I'm half way through. At least I have my icons, but no virus protection. They said that would happen in the next 48 hours. Geez...

Abbey

Marguerite

We've had various issues with trying to get up-to-date but RELIABLE and no-permeable software. We're Mac people, which makes it possible for us to be as Microsoft-free as we want to be, although sometimes we make concessions.

We dropped Netscape some time ago for Safari, but are now finding it won't always load the pages properly because sites get upgraded but it hasn't been. So instead we're increasingly using Firefox, and it's been brilliant.

I've heard of upgrades sometimes crashing a computer for various reasons, husband often has to troubleshoot computers at work (which are mostly PCs).

Good luck in getting things working properly again.

Marg

DammitJanet

I hate, hate, HATE trying to deal with getting a service person out to my house. Im having minor satellite issues and I set up an appointment to have the guy come out. They asked mornings or afternoons. I said afternoons. They told me the guy would be there between 12 and 4. Ok...no problem. Cory was here for the first half hour when I went to get Billy from school. I sat and waited all day. They never showed up during the time they said. I have to leave at 5 to take Billy to work so I called them back to ask where the guy was and was told...oh it could take him up to 7 pm to get out there! I said that isnt possible for me. Oh but it must be...I told them to reschedule it for a day when Billy wasnt working and they said nope...would have to call back and do the rescheduling on another phone number...lol. I havent called back.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I work in an office - hate when the computer craps out - but here's my favorite phrase:

My computer beats me at chess, but I beat my computer at kickboxing!

TerryJ2

I feel your pain!!!

But this made me LOL--I have to rely on husband to take the call. That is scary. He doesn't even know how to make a bed.

My daughter's computer will not let her type into any online search fields. It also won't let me launch System Restore. I finally got it to defrag. I cannot locate Windows Explorer. I have a call in to a local repairguy. He's going to research it tonight and email me. I also emailed a mostly-reliable computer friend but he has been too busy to respond.

Meanwhile, she's been on MY computer!!!!! ARGGH!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Still limping along, but made some progress. Had to uninstall my security software. That brought my icons back. The guy from Cox said they were flooded with calls of the same sort. He's the one who told me to uninstall. It will be 10-14 days before an upper level person calls with a fix to a new security software. THAT is how backed up they are.

I hate being unprotected, but don't want to screw up my computer even more by putting something else on.

Abbey