audition episodes --- SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #660000"> so who's been watching?

i think they have an incredible pool of talent this year ~~~ even better than last year. it's been fun watching nigel try to bite his tongue & keep his new resolution to *not be mean* this season. some days he does better than others tho i have to admit when he was mean it was pretty justified. sparks was pretty harsh during auditions a few times too.

some of my favorites already:

~~~ benji's sister. i thought she was great! it was fun to see benji again!
~~~ the girl who worked with-the choreographers last year
~~~ the former football player. he has amazing technique for someone with-only 8 months formal training!
~~~ the upper extremity amputee
~~~ the girl who had stopped dancing for three years due to illness but auditioned because her mom required a breast biopsy.
~~~ stanisalav's sister.

those are the ones who stand out right now tho there are others i really liked.

i was struck by the obvious high level of training. great feet, extension & much more formal training for most of them this season.

can't wait till this week when they whittle it down to the top 20. it's going to be a fantastic season. i think i saw mia in the previews....i so love her choreography!!

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Sue C

I only watched it one night so far, but I loved the girl with the arm prosthetic. She was beautiful and graceful. Also, there was a girl from a nearby high school who made the first cut to go to Vegas. There was a huge write-up in the local paper. :smile:

Sue

DDD

I watched and enjoyed the talent too. Doesn't it make you uncomfortable when they show inept and obese and obviously untalented contestants...and laugh. Geez, I just hate that. I
feel like I'm committing a sin just watching!

The woman judge has the most unusual laugh. No comment!

on the other hand, I know I will enjoy it once it gets down to the talented
performers competing. Does Sara still have time to watch the
dance shows with you, Kris? DDD

I am loving this season so far! I agree, Benji's sister is really good. The girl with the arm prosthetic was amazing, wouldn't have known if she hadn't spoken of it!

That was pretty cool of the judge to tell that guy with severe scoliosis that he will have a part in his next movie. His robot dancing was amazing!!

There are so many that were given trips straight to Vegas that were sooooo good! This next week will be great. I love it when they start with smaller groups so we can get to know them a little better.

Hugs,
Vickie

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #660000"> actually, ddd, it doesn't make me uncomfortable. those people put themselves out there....just like skinny no talent people do. this is a show that actually doesn't base their decisions on the typical dancers' body. one of the girls in the final four...not heidi the other one...who was quite atypical. the judges & the public loved her. she was very talented.

i loved the guy with-scholiosis. he was amazing. moves so shorp it looked like the tape was stuttering. yes, sparks promised him a feature in the film he's currentnly working on.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Sue C

I agree with kris. I do not feel uncomfortable watching any size person who dances terribly and the judges laugh. The people have got to know they don't dance well. They have subjected themselves to the auditions. With auditions comes criticism.

I missed the guy with- scholiosis. Wish I could have seen him. How often is this program on? What days/times?

Sue

'Chelle

I too thought there was a lot more talent this year. I think it's going to be a really good season and hard to judge. I really like the Asian hiphop dancer that came back from last year - last year he didn't have a work permit so they had to drop him. Will have to see how he does with the other dance styles. I loved Benji last year and it was great to see him again, but was it totally fair to have last year's winner dancing with her in the audition? Though his sister is very talented as well and would have moved on to Vegas regardless in my opinion.

I don't feel uncomfortable watching when the talentless dance and are critiqued. It's the type of criticism that somestimes bothers me. There are ways to say something without being cruel. Shane was pretty harsh to the obese girl who was told by someone she could dance. Some people have dreams and want to believe so bad they get taken advantage of and don't want to see they're being lied to. I feel sorry for her myself.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> the ones who do hip hop & other street/club dancing end up being at a disadvantage because in order to go far you need more classical training...ballet, jazz, contemporary/lyrics. musa from last season actually had some of that as well as a ton of natural ability (a lot like this year's football dude).

i think they are harsh sometimes because these young people are shelling out large amounts of money only to be lied to by those telling them they have a shot. some of them are so unrealistic about their abilities that even after the judges telling there is no chance they will ever make it as pros...they still don't believe. yes, everyone should have a dream, but at the same time reality has to come into play. sometimes it's truly tough to watch their hearts get broken.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

jbrain

Hi All,
I haven't started watching yet--will it be narrowed down this week? What days is it on and what time? Thanks--I don't usually watch all the audition shows, just like to watch when it gets narrowed down!
Jane

KFld

I love this show. I watched it last year, and I don't even think I knew it was on the year before. They said it's the 3rd episode??

Can't wait til tomorrow night!!

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> it's on wednesdays & thursdays ~~~ on fox...performances then eliminations. they will be narrowing down from 200 possibles to top 20 this week.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Kathy813

Staff member
kris,

You got me started on this one, too. I didn't watch it last year. It's still too early for me to remember much about the individual dancers. It will get easier after they get down to the final 20.

I may just have to move in to your house and we can watch all of our shows together. Of course, we'd have to make room on the couch for DDD and Suz.

~Kathy