Baby boy name suggestions for my daughter

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm a fan of Sam & Max. I knew two little tikes with those names and they were as endearing as little boys can be, such strong names, they seem to have "impact."

BusynMember

Sam is a great name, but it's my dad's name and I don't know how she'd feel about using it. Plus in the Jewish religion, and my father is Jewish, you don't name a child after a living relative. So I think that's done, sadly. Max is great. I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it! Will text her again...lol. She's going to wake up to all these names...lol.

Malika

Yes, Max is nice, I agree! Being an old-fashioned traditionalist in many ways, I think it has to be "short" for something. Bet your daughter's partner would love Maximilian :)

svengandhi

LOL! Sam and Jake were my grandpas' names. My uncles were Max, Stanley, Marty and David; my dad was Harry. David is the only name in the bunch I'd actually call a kid. My other kids are named after these people (except Max, Stan and Harry who were still alive when I had kids). Oldest boy is Steven after Grandpa Sam (with Hebrew name Shmuel Yaakov after both grandpas). I still think all of these are old Jewish guy names and I laugh when I see little kids with them.

MWM - easy child's middle name is Luke, which I love even though we're Jewish. When I was pregnant with him, Menachem Begin was assassinated. easy child was my 4th baby and I was running out of dead relatives, so the rabbi suggested we name him Menachem. I almost fell over laughing - my last name is VERY Irish, like my H. So he would've been Menachem O'Donnell (not our real last name but on the same track). I couldn't burden a child with a name like that. Also, when the other kids were told easy child's name, they started calling him " first name Luke Skywalker."

Also, girls' name were SO hard. I wanted a specific name for daughter but during my pregnancy, H's cousin called me. She was named after their mutual grandma. I had wanted to name daughter after the grandma, since she had died by then, but the cousin asked to use the name for her expected D, she already had 2 sons. I relinquished the name and when my daughter was 3 months old, cousin had twin sons! daughter was given the Irish version of the name. It took us 4 days after daughter was born to come up with her name and 6 days for easy child's name. One of her friends from school is named Micah, though it's usually a boy's name.

The name Ryan first came to my mind from a little girl who rode the bus with oldest boy in pre-school. I have a friend who named her D Melanie Rhian but I think of Ryan as a boy's name.

When I was pregnant with oldest boy, my mother in law didn't like my chosen name of Steven, so I told her I was naming him Tyrone Rasheed. Suddenly, Steven sounded fine and now she tells people it was HER idea and I wanted to give him a Muslim name (and I'm Jewish!).

How about Daniel, Ian, Jonathan, Robert? All nice standard names that will not subject its owner to ridicule.

BusynMember

Ok, ok. I don't think SO is worried about the child getting ridiculed for a name if he came up with Bartholemew. However, my daughter cares, so he will be saved from being named, say, Herman.

Julie is Korean and I am trying to think of something with an Asian flavor. I was the one who came up with Jade and Julie loved it, not so much Kim for a boy, even as a middle name. Her SO is an American mutt of many heritages. His last name could be any ethnicity. I don't think he is going for heritage and he has a small family, like us. He loved his deceased grandfather a lot, but can't bring himself to name his son Larry. Thank goodness!!! It's also my ex's name and I'd have to call my beloved grandson by his name.

Geoff likes to write music on the side and I told Julie that maybe he'd like to name a child after one of his favorite musicians or singers. Turns out, since he is a rock fan, most of the names were totally unacceptable.

Malika, I laughed at Maximilian. Maybe he'd go for it, but Max is just Max to my daughter...a great name in it's own right :) But I don't see Max as being on the radar. Julie hasn't even brought up the name.

The only classic name that I personally really like is Thomas and that's because it's my husband's name and I still really love my husband a lot. Otherwise, I like names that are a little more trendy and Julie seems to be the same way. I just thought of three names I'm going to suggest: Cory, Cody, and Caden. I think all three are cute.

Lothlorien

Braden, Joseph, Ian, Scott, Christopher, Alexander, Malcolm, Stephan (or Steven), Julian, Elijah, Daniel, Joshua

If I had another boy he would have been named Giancarlo. It's very ethnic, but it would have been an Italian morphed name of family members. We liked it.

BusynMember

Ok!!!! (drum roll)

THEY HAVE TWO NAMES THAT PASSED THE TEST!!!!

The first is Ayden Joel, which my daughter picked out. He also likes Daxton, which I like a lot, but Ayden seems to be the first preference so I guess we will have a little Ayden or a little Kylee, God willing. Thanks for all the fun with the names, all :) Julie thought it was fun too.

cubsgirl

I like Ayden. I also like Spencer, Logan and Connor. husband and I were so far apart on names with difficult child that if he had been a girl we did not have a name picked out!! We settled on difficult child's name the day before he was born.

Luckily Julie has time to get this sorted out.

DammitJanet

Well since I am late, and everyone knows my pick would be Scott, I will just tell you how I picked my three boys names.

Billy is a Fifth. No choice in his name.
Jamie is actually Anthony James. Anthony for his dad and James for Tony's father who got seriously injured right before I got pregnant and we werent sure he would actually live much past Jamie's birthday.

Cory ... well, we dont know. LOL. I had been told my entire pregnancy that he was going to be a girl so I only had girls names picked out. Lauren or Meghan. I think the way I got the name Cory (in my drug induced haze) was that the news was on TV in my room. At the time, there were tons of news reports about
María Corazón Sumulong "Cory" Cojuangco Aquino was a Filipina politician who served as the 11th President of the Philippines, the first woman to hold that office, and the first female president in Asia
. I think she was being ousted or something. They always referred to her as Cory Aquino. I think that is how I got the Cory part. Allen just seems to go with it for some reason and I cant tell you how many Cory Allen's I have either met or read about.

Another thing I made sure of was that their initials didnt spell anything bad. Now the names I ended up calling all my kids ended with that "eeee" sound...Billy, Jamie, Cory. Easy to yell. However, I did think ahead and Billy is now William to everyone but family. Jamie is only Jamie to family....he goes by either Anthony or his last name because of being in the military. Cory is still Cory but I did think that if he had ever become a doctor, lawyer or President, he could go by C. Allen M. Sounds distinguished. Of course, no chance of that!

One funny thing is you can use family names for middle names. My middle name is my mother's maiden name...Scott. And I was doing a Google search a few years ago and found someone with my exact maiden name...Janet Scott Castine. Now that is a very odd combo! By the way, Castine isnt my last name now.

My kids were named after family members for middle names. Malcolm, Leroy, for my blond hair blue-eyed kids seem cool to me, Our last name is ethnic because of a famous football player. My kids names don't look like them. I love the name Malcolm and the name LeRoy...oh well it's the middle name at least.I should have named those names as the first names. difficult child and his brand new wife have the next baby's name picked out. I hope they change their minds lol...we'll see, maybe someone will have a girl. The strange thing is that even though I'm a girl, I can't relate to girls at all.

BusynMember

When I was young enough to have kids, like AGES ago :), I wanted only boys because I had been so difficult myself and felt that boys were easier. Plus I loved sports and girls were not actively involved in sports at that time. I had three boys...36, Scott and Sonic. None cared much for organized sports. Scott was a great athlete, but on principal did not participate in school sports. And there wasn't much else. 36 was a decent athlete, but had too much anxiety to play in front of a crowd, so he quit. Sonic isn't the least bit interested in even watching sports. And, of course, 36 and Scott were not good relationships for me and 36 is by far my long term most difficult child.

I now prefer girls. I find it so much fun to have adult daughters. We can shop, talk about hair and clothes and babies, and it seems like I have a special bond with the girls that I don't share with the boys. Also, once 36 married, his wife seemed to be the one in control and he pulled away. But with Julie, even though she has a partner of eleven years, which is longer than 36s entire marriage, we are still close and always in touch. I have learned to prefer girls to boys because, in the long term, I think girls are closer to their moms (selfish, I know). Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it's how I feel. Plus it would be so much fun to dress and fuss over a little girl grandbaby. Of course, good health is the most important consideration.

In my world, I have found that this is true: "A son is a son till he gets him a wife; a daughters a daughter the rest of her life." I hope Julie can enjoy the closeness and warmth of a little girl. She is very shy and has felt lonely in her younger years. I don't want her to ever feel lonely again. I love my boys (even 36), but I cherish the bond I have with the girls. (Of course difficult child girls and boys break all the rules, but my girls are not difficult children, at least not anymore).

svengandhi

I like Ayden Joel. However, one piece of advice about unusual spellings. I write oldest boy's name as Steven here, but it's really Stephan. There was NOTHING when it came to labeling his belongings for pre-school and K. I had to buy stickers that said Stephanie and cut off the ie. I got into the groove and didn't realize that I should have thrown away the pink ones! Fortunately, my son didn't notice - one early hint of his color blindness.

MWM - I have 4 sons and none of them is interested in sports at all. daughter was the only one who ever played HS sports. Of course, the fact that H has a self-described defective sports gene and I have no athletic ability/interest helps. I don't think that all 7 of us collectively have ever watched a total sporting event.

Congrats on the grandbaby!

DammitJanet

MWM, that saying is so true. Jamie was even extremely close to us when he launched in the normal way (military) but once he got married the first time, well she was convinced that if he even talked to us more than once every two weeks, he was being disloyal to her. Now with his second wife, I have to avoid phone calls if I dont want to listen to an hour long whine session about how my son wont do X, Y or Z.

I will say that after raising 3 boys I was absolutely thrilled to get that first girl grandchild. I dont think she wore any color but pink her first two years....lol. As everyone knows, I spoil her to death.

BusynMember

Janet, when 36 was married, I barely heard from him. If I wanted to hear about what was going on I usually talked to his ex who was not very pleasant. I actually forgot how unpleasant 36 could be because until his divorce I almost never heard from him.

When I adopted Julie, my first daughter, it was so much fun to dress her and buy girl stuff for her! So, I understand why you spoil your granddaughter so much!!! It's a lot more fun to shop for a girl!

Svengali, about the off spellings. Although I agree, there is nothing I can do about it..lol. My daughter made it clear that she is going to spell the name Ayden and that's that :)