Child wants to leave

Nickstod

Hi, I just have some questions that I'd like to have cleared up. My daughter, age 17, turns 18 real soon and says she wants to move back to Ohio right once she turns 18 and she wants to drop out of high school. She goes to school in North Carolina. Does she need a parents signature to drop out of school if she's 18 in North Carolina? If you know or have any idea please let me know as soon as it's convenient to you

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
She shouldn't need a parent's signature to drop out if she is of legal age. It's a shame she is dropping out of school, at least if she's close to graduating. Does she have plans to get her GED?

I dropped out with parental permission at 16, got my GED within 2 weeks of dropping out, again with parental permission, and was working full-time at K-mart a week after that.

Nickstod

Yes she plans on getting her GED. We moved not too long ago and she has a job at a Burger King in Ohio that she hasn't left. They gave her a leave of absence because she told them she would be back. She has a place to go too

Nickstod

Yes I agree. I'm just a little worried for her. Are you sure she won't need a parents signature to drop out? She says she doesn't but I know it's different in other places so I wanted to be sure because I said I wasn't going to help her leave school

Nickstod

I did and they said they couldn't give me that information so they weren't the cause of an argument or anything like that between me and my daughter

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, you'll have to go by what your daughter says then. But AFAIK, so long as you are in one of the (most) states that consider 18 to be the age of majority, your shouldn't have to sign anything for her to drop out or take the GED and constitution tests (if they still do that.)