Colleges for ADD


New Member
difficult child #2 has not taken a language yet in HS - he flunked Spanish in the 9th grade, and we received asvice from a counselor that some colleges deferred the language requirement for students if they have an IEP.

We are finding out this may have been bad advice. last school year I was so completely wrapped up in the problems of difficult child#3 that I didn't investigate this further, and difficult child#2 did not take a language this year for fear of failure.

Well, in talking to colleges visiting the HS, difficult child#2 says "no one will take me without a language - I'm screwed!"

Does anyone know if some schools do let kids in if they are strong academically otherwise? Is this a common, rare, or non-existant thing? Did I get bad advice? Should we talk to each school individually? What documentation would we need of his disability?

Any advice or info would help me know where to go from here. the counselor at the school that gave us this advice is no longer there.


Former desparate mom
There are many books on post high school education for kids with ADHD and with learning disabilities. You might want to do a search for them.

I think there might be a few books on our home page in the book section.

I have about 5 of them in my closet. I will look for the names.

I don't know about the language requirement, to tell you the truth. My difficult child did not take a language but he is not mainstream college yet.

I do know that there are programs within colleges geared toward kids with ADHD. Boston U is the one that I remember specifically.

I will see what else I have in this regard.


New Member
What about community college, or a smaller, private school? The college I work at (a business college) does not require languages as far as I know. As well, students who take and pass the GED don't have languages on record, so I am sure there are many places which don't require them.


New Member
We're starting to look into colleges that handle Learning Disability (LD)/ADD kids. I don't know of the language requirements, but the University of Arizona has a really good program aimed at Learning Disability (LD) kids. A friend's kid is going there, and they provide tutors, coaches, etc.. Good hunting.


New Member
My $.02
I strongly recommend people attend a community college for at least thier first year, ADD or not. It is MUCH cheaper and gives kids a chance to figure out what it's all about before they go play in the big leagues. I went to Michigan State for my first year. Unfortunately, that was the year my BiPolar (BP) exploded and I failed out. I went to a community college the next year and got an associates degree with a gpa of 3.8. :laugh: It wasn't because it was easier, it was because the professors were more able to help me out when I needed it. The biggest bonus is that once your kid transfers and get's a degree at a university, it won't even have the community college's name on it. It will be indistinguishable from a degree from a student who did all his coursework from the university.

Sue C

Active Member
Well, in Wisconsin, only a few of the state colleges require the 2-yr language requirement. Check into your state university system.

Melissa applied to 3 colleges. Her problem is not getting a high enough score on her ACT, and her GPA could have been a tad higher.

Also, Angela's private college did not have a language requirement. So, I do not think it is as prevalent as it was at one time, unless you are trying to get into top-notch colleges.



Well-Known Member
If you have a few extra bucks, he can take the language requirements via distance learning on your computer. I can steer you in that direction.
If he will spend a few hours at night or on the
weekends he will be ready in plenty of time. The
courses are fully accredited and accepted for
inclusion in his GPA and transcript at the high
school. DDD


New Member
Community Colleges are the way to go. You take your GE requirements for a fraction of the cost per unit and then transfer for the upper division classes after 2 years. Community Colleges put a language requirement into their graduation requirements. They also offer more than one language.

I know that in CA a community college is about $11 a unit (it may have gone up to $24) and a University is $124 or more a unit. Multiply that by 6 or 12 and you have a whole lot of savings!


New Member
You posted this concern on the special edu board.
Heres my reply from there.

He's right, some won't take him without a Foreign Language in High school!!! It's really not as horrible as you think to find a college to fit your kid. Being realistic goes a long way.

Colleges don't provide services based on the IEP from HS. I found each college is different, but it seems like most want new evaluations and the "adult" battery of tests before they give special learning accommodations. It really depends on his needs, some might offer what he needs as part of the routine services for anyone who asks for help.

What type of colleges is he interested in attending? Instead of worrying do research and call colleges. Landmark is the best known college for kids with learning disabilities,ADD and ADHD.

My daughter (12th grader) is in the process of looking at colleges. From my research the very small private liberal arts colleges do not have Foreign Language requirements. Very few even have it in the core curriculum. It also depends on the major he wants to study.

Search for the different colleges that offer the Learning Disability (LD) accommodations. Research carefully to match the services they can offer and if they match your sons needs.

A good site that just lists all the American colleges alphabetically

Have fun,


Well-Known Member
Nomad, Keystone is the primary source I have used
for easy child/difficult child. It has worked well. DDD


New Member
Originally posted by 7-Iron:
[qb] We're starting to look into colleges that handle Learning Disability (LD)/ADD kids. .... but the University of Arizona has a really good program aimed at Learning Disability (LD) kids. [/qb]
Did you know The University of Arizona was recently rated as a party school! Some of the Highest incidents of drinking and drugging at a college.
Each college is required by law to have published statistics of arrests on campus. So there is a list of arrests for sexual assaults, rapes, under age alcohol abuse, drugs, robbery, etc... Legally it must be made available to the public.
I found that the colleges who have very safe good records post this on there website, other colleges you can't find it unless you request the information!

Patterns have been noticed by the kids/ publishers of such guides who look at these things that colleges in the nice warmer climates seem to have more partying going on.
My daughter is being sent to college in the North pole!

Chiming in on college:

I think JC is a great option for a kid who isn't as mature as others when college time comes. However, the statistical odds aren't in their favor that they will go on to a university. I was surprised at that.

As for party schools ... they all are party schools (with very little exception). It depends upon the child and their capability to self discipline when going off to a college environment.

I'm off to look at info on Boston U.


Former desparate mom
This is the list of books I have in my closet, that I haven't even opened yet.

Learning How To Learn:Getting Into and Surviving College when you Have a Learning Disability.
by Joyanne Cobb

Cool Colleges for the HyperIntelligent, self Directed,Late Blooming and the Just Plain Different.
Donald Asher

Unlocking Potential: College and other choices for People with Learning Disability (LD) and AD/HD
Edited by Julian M.Taymans. PhD,
Lynda L. West,PhD, with Madeline Sullivan,MA

Learning A Living: A guide to Planning Your Career and Finding a Job for People with Learning Disabilities, AD/HD and Dsylexia

Dale S. Brown

The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
Carol Eikleberry PhD


New Member
Alisha Leigh you're brilliant at ferreting out the best resources on the web. Thanks for this link.



New Member
My former difficult child now 21 was on add medications until 16...he is currently attending a junior college and i am very pleased with the services that he is receiving...including counselling and college survival prep courses if his average goes below a ccertain husband and i have wondered about encouraging him to go back on medications but he fought it so hard all of his life and so does not want to that we are helping him and praying that he can do it on his own even if more slowly than he would be able to accomplish graduation requirements with medications....he is very into martial arts and again is very opposed to medications now so we do what we far he messed up badly the first year but now is back and seems to be doing ok...