Cooking with stevia

TLF

Do any of you out there have good experience using stevia?

We're seeing a JMT practitioner for our difficult child right now. The first thing she told us is that she strongly suspects systemic candida yeast overgrowth (among a bunch of sensitivities). After reading up on it, I'm 99% sure I have the same problem and have had it for years (she thinks my son may have gotten it from me during the birth process.)

So for now we're not allowed ANY sweeteners at all except for stevia. I'm having a very hard time getting used to it (I have SweetLeaf brand Stevia Plus). We like it sprinkled lightly on things; but everything I've tried to bake with it comes out with a HORRID flavor. :eek: I even have a couple of stevia cookbooks that proclaim what a wonderful sweetener it is and what delicious things you can make with it. But, again, the recipes taste awful!! What am I doing wrong?! /importthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HELP!!

TLF

Waldorf Mom

I used to use Stevia for baking when my son was allergic to most sugars. You can't just substitute it for sugar and have it taste good -- I agree with you there! It also takes a little while to adjust to it.

The cookbook we used that had some decent recipes in it is called "Allergy Cooking With Ease: The No Wheat, Milk, Eggs, Corn, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Grain, and Gluten Cookbook"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846

I had systemic yeast issues too. Homeopathy got me started in fixing that issue, but I needed some "energy" work done on me to address some chakra blockages that prevented the homeopathic remedy from doing all it should.

I'm not all better yet -- but already feel so much better than I used to. Much more energy, clear thinking, no dizzy spells.

Hang in there!
Waldorf Mom

p.s. My son cleared Ragweed last week with JMT. He had been a quite unpleasant to be around for a week or so before that (and Ragweed count went high the end of August around here) - then I remembered that we started JMT just after ragweed season last year, so we hadn't treated him with that method yet. Called our practitioner, she took care of him the next day. What a difference! He's been so easy child every since! Hurray!

TLF

Thanks ladies! At least I know it's not just me! :laugh: I just need to learn how to use stevia.

Waldorf Mom, I've ordered the book you recommended from the library, along with some our JMT practitioner recommended. Hopefully there is hope! I like the idea of healthier eating and cutting down on sugar, etc; but I'd hate to think there were NO treat possibilities for us in the future! That would just be too sad!!

I'm curious about your treatments with homeopathy for candida yeast. Did you still have to follow a strict diet with that? Our JMT practitioner said she can treat for the sugars and the yeast (doesn't kill the yeast, but helps the body's reaction to it), but we still have to follow a very strict diet for several months and may need nystatin (sp?). Did homeopathy actually "kill" the yeast; or how did that work for you?

I'd love your input also, typical teen!

Thanks,
Tierraleon