Could you spare a prayer for Wee?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
His horse passed away 3 weeks ago, and he is still very sad about that.

While cleaning his room today, we found his rat lethargic and cold. She's alive, but barely.

Wee loves her. If you could spare a prayer for her, we'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh no! Saying prayers. That's how we found Nebula one morning. I'm so sorry. Try offering her some peanut butter on a spoon - and if she lets you hold her, wrap her in a small towel and hold her against you. If she won't take the peanut butter, get some baby food - peas or chicken - and use syringe to get it in her.

buddy

Oh that's the worst. Prayer said. Will continue and pls let us know how things are going. Huge hugs to your kiddo.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thank you all for the prayers. Wee has been praying, too.

I don't know anything about rats, but she was all but dead at noon. She was absolutely cold to touch, couldn't sit up, couldn't eat anything solid, limp... I called the lady who gave her to Wee, and she came out. We got her warm, and forced a bit of nutri-cal into her mouth. Did some reading on the web and mixed an amoxicillan capsule into some koolaid and gave her some of that (figured sugar for energy). Made her a couple of bean bags, and heated them in the microwave, put her little plastic house on top of one, and the other on top, turned up the heat in Wee's room, and just prayed.

Now, she is a slight bit slow, but if you hadn't seen her earlier, you wouldn't even notice she's off. She's eating and drinking and climbing on her cage like a monkey, like she normally does.

I gave her some more antibiotic mix tonight (much more challenging this time). Have no idea what we'll find in the morning. Plan to keep the heat up in his room a bit.

I'm awed, quite frankly, and praying she continues. Thank you all for the prayers!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Poor Wee. Poor fur baby. :( Losing a pet can be so very traumatic for our kiddos.

Rats live about 2-3 years typically. I think some have been known to go as long as 4. But boy can they be resilient! (We had one that developed breathing problems that got to the point where we figured it best to euthanize her. Gave her what we thought would be a lethal cocktail of crushed valium mixed with peanut butter, and all she did was sleep for about 12 hours!)

Hopefully the extra nutrition and warmth and medications does the trick!

flutterby

Fly away!
Rats are awesome pets. I was so against getting them, and said no for about a year, but difficult child wore me down in true difficult child style. ;) I just wish I hadn't developed an allergy to them, cause I enjoy them so much. I hope she pulls through. Add some peanut butter to her diet for the protein. Peas are good, too. I'm not sure that an amoxicillin capsule is too much. You can get tetracycline powder and put 1/2 tsp in the water bottle - change it everyday. You'll have to do this for a week to 10 days. And mix pedialyte in her water - 1/2 and 1/2. One vet also recommends oats in the diet.

Can you tell we've nursed rats?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I didn't expect to like her, either. The lady that gave her to Wee used to babysit him, and she has 2. Wee has always loved them. She got this one for his birthday. She was so tiny when she came, and she's only about 6 months old now.

She is so sweet, and has quite the comical personality. I would miss her, too, if we lost her! Every night, at bedtime, she gets a few lucky charms...man she loves those! lol

The amoxicillan was a 500mg capsule and we mixed it into about a half teaspoon of koolaid (its all we had). We gave her just a tiny bit of it. I gave her a bit more this evening (MUCH more challenging). I offered her the nutri-cal again, but she did not take any. She did eat a bit of peanut butter off my finger. I offered her more but she didn't take it. She has, however, eaten her lucky charms, some bread, and a whole lot of seeds. She was running in and out of her little house grabbing something the whole time I was cleaning out Wee's dresser tonight, and occasionally jumping on her cage like a monkey, like she normally does.