dry eyes

N

Nomad

I've been having big time problems with dry eyes, particularly in my right eye.

Seems wearing my contacts is going to be a problem for awhile. I'll probably only be able to wear them once in a while now.

I have scratched my cornea three or four times in the last two weeks!

Anyway, does anyone else have this type of problem?

Eye doctor keeps on saying to use drops. REfresh seems too oily and Blink seems too "Thin."

Has anyone with very bad dry eyes found a good over the counter eye drop????

Many thanks.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I had this problem really bad until husband finally convinced me to use Aquify instead of regular saline...

susiestar

Roll With It
I cannot tolerate contacts anymore due to this same problem. Do you have any autoimmune problems? According to my eye doctor, this is a common problem that people with autoimmune problems get. It can start in your 30s or 40s and may or may not resolve. I am SO SORRY. Try different brands of drops and use the thick ones before you go to bed. It makes a big difference for a lot of people. Also, saline solution is good for rinsing but not so much for moisturizing, sort of like licking your lips makes them feel better but also makes them dryer. So changing solutions MAY help at some point.

There are some types of drops in individual use droppers. I HIGHLY recommend these because dry eyes are not as protected from infection. No matter how careful you are, a bottle will still get germs on it. So if you can't use the types in individual use droppers, please put a date on them for when you opened them and toss them after one month if they have preservatives and a week if they don't. From what I have seen online, this seems to be a pretty universal recommendation. I know most of us don't want to toss a mostly full bottle, but eyes are really really delicate and eye infections are often painful and can result in long term damage.

buddy

OH WOW, I had to stop wearing contacts many years ago...didn't matter how specialized they were...no way. Turns out it is part of my auto-immune stuff...along with mouth dryness... causes lots of teeth issues for me too. The dry eyes at night can be intense...I have awakened in pain so intense you would think glass was shoved in there...

I have had a procedure to plug the little tear ducts that allow tears to drain so that the tears can build up longer in your eyes and it is not painful at all. It did help a little bit. I have to use drops and at night i use gel to keep my eye most. (it is in a tube,mostly petrolium I think) you can get an off label brand in any drug store. it lasts a long time. I get the gel type drops because they last longer.

This seems like a little problem in the grand scheme of life, but it can really be a big deal. I hope you find some answers that work for you.

N

Nomad

Thanks.
Couple of questions...
I wear daily throw away contacts (right now I'm limiting wear to perhaps one hour daily...if I go somewhere nice, etc.)
I use Acuvue Moist. Generally, these seem like a good choice for me. Better than others.
But, I do need drops/artificial tears.
What are some of the better ones for a severe dry eye problem?
I haven't seen individual drops for one time use only.
I have heard somewhere that there is a mist type...haven't seen it in the stores.
I don't like the oily kind...refresh can be that way.
What's the best drop/articifical tears you have used?
Thanks.
p.s. I have lupus and other health problems.

N

Nomad

Just tried something different called "Nasture's Tears Eye Mist," and it is refreshing. You spray it on your eye..instead of a drop.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I loved my contacts. Dry eyes stopped me from wearing them. It only took me scratching the cornea once.

Hope you can get the issue solved. Maybe you should be checked for a blocked tear duct??

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Hi, Nomad! My eye doctor recommended Systane balance and Systane ultra. The key here is to use the product a MINIMUM of 3xday. I never remember to do so! I'm on a lot of medications which cause dry eye/dry mouth. He said a humidifier would help. I don't wear contacts, maybe you will feel differently.

buddy

Hi, Nomad! My eye doctor recommended Systane balance and Systane ultra. The key here is to use the product a MINIMUM of 3xday. I never remember to do so! I'm on a lot of medications which cause dry eye/dry mouth. He said a humidifier would help. I don't wear contacts, maybe you will feel differently.

mine too. I use the gel drops for severely dry eyes. I also think I said I use the tube of eye goo you put in at night... that helps sooo sooo much. dont put it in until ready to sleep, it is like having film on your eyes, lol.

TerryJ2

You've gotten some great ideas here. I hope you can find what works for you with-o having to use an expensive scrip.
I was thinking autoimmune disease, too, although it's only one eye ... maybe Sjogren's. But you already have Lupus so maybe there's some overlap.
Best of luck.