easy child Could Use Some Board Power

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good thoughts, prayers, wisdom..................

She called HR at her work this morning. No disability. No leave. AND she will have to drop her position down to a "support" position to save her job, which means NO sign on bonus, and NO insurance in 30 days.

She won't even be out of the cast in 30 days,

I'm sure docs will continue to treat her......but it will be expensive. PT therapy, now that she might get limited to bare minimum.......and it will be expensive.

Financially, they're going to be hurting BAD.

They've got the right stuff to pull through it, if they manage to work together on it. I'm going to have to work to get them into the right mindset. Medical bills are your last worry.....those bills WILL wait while house payment ect will NOT wait. They, due to good income have become a tad spoiled although they always kept bills paid and managed to save money. I'll have to help teach them to cut corners where they never thought they could be cut before and to tighten what they think can't possibly be tightened. sister in law will be the easiest in many ways as he's a natural tight wad. lol But easy child is a bit of a shopaholic and they both eat out waaaaaaay too much.

This is their first really big crisis as a married couple.

easy child is already in major panic mode.......sister in law is getting there fast.

Thank goodness for the couponing as she already has quite a stock pile going on. She's good on baby food for Brandon and diapers for both boys for a couple months at least. She's got a freezer full of food, shelves full of cleaning supplies and personal hygiene items.

She'll be using it and leaning on it quite heavily. And I've already told her we'll continue to build on it, won't be quite as fast as before, but if I can survive with couponing on what we're bringing in income wise, she can too. THIS is what a stock pile is for.......just and fyi for all those people who think having 20 bottles of laundry soap in your basement is silly. :sigh:

I'm scared for her. More worried about her getting proper treatment uninsured than the financial side of things. Worried about her state of mind.....as she tends to lash out when she feels helpless.........and currently she feels like this is all her fault.

Car insurance won't cover much medically as they only had liability on the car.....it was over 10 yrs old, she was driving the old honda due to gas mileage. So insurance will only pay 5,000.00 toward medical. But they're being pretty good about the car ect.

They're in for a very rough road. sister in law makes too much for food stamps or welfare insurance and even if he puts them onto his insurance they probably won't cover her for the leg.

That is the next direction I'm going to point them though as it never hurts to try. I've managed to get more than one insurance co to cover me for pre-existing conditions, maybe just maybe sister in law's will too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa - you know I'm rattling every bead I've got for her.

You know - the couponing was a very good thing, and will keep things going, saving money.

I know the hospital she works for, and honestly? I hope she can keep her job, but... Ugh.

Crisis is something that happens in every marriage... So... I'm sure they will make it through. It won't be easy. And Darrin, since he likes to clean house? May have to help more than a 7-y/o really should. BUT... It will be good for him later.

Hugs... For you, and easy child. And lots of good thoughts and prayers. This last couple of weeks has been horrid. Therefore, it must be about to get better. Right?!

rejectedmom

Aww so sorry to hear of your easy child's accident and subsequent troubles. She will be given the opportunity to Cobra her insurance but admittedly it is expensive to do so. Tell her to ask PT for a home program that she can do on her own when/if her benifits run out. I was able to do this for the last 3 months of my PT after knee surgery. I will pray that she can keep her job. Maybe explore a job sharing type of situation? Some places will allow this in emergency situations. I don't know just brainstorming. -RM

Just when I thought things weren't going to get any worse, maybe even get a bit better - Read your update before reading this. I know this "rots" big-time but still, somehow, someway, she'll get through this!

I get so angry when I hear about insurance problems - Just makes my blood boil!!! Preexisting conditions shouldn't be allowed to exist!!! Hoping that you can get sister in law's insurance co to cover your easy child's medical bills. If anyone can do it, I know you can!!!

Praying extra hard for your daughter... SFR

DammitJanet

Lisa..its entirely possible that medicaid may help cover the hospital bills because of a spend down...do not just assume that they wont. Check. Ive known people who were in accidents who were no where near medicaid eligible but got medicaid just for that time period because of the accident and lack of insurance.

However, I do know this will weigh heavy on her. I had no reason to worry about it, was in a darned coma and I was convinced I was going to be kicked out of the hospital because they were going to cut off my disability and medicare...lol. I was sitting in the hospital scared to death about the hospital bill even though I cant add anything else now...dont ask me why. Maybe money is something you can concentrate on when nothing else seems to be in your control.

I remember someone suggested asking churches for help, also think about maybe looking for a teen to help out this summer. Would be nice if Katie would rise to the occasion wouldnt it?

DDD

Wish I had an answer for you but I don't, darn it! Insurance is a nightmare and job stability is even more so. Hope they can keep focused on the biggest issue. She survived and will be well again. If she can hold that thought her stress level may diminish a bit. Many hugs coming your way. DDD

KTMom91

Sending hugs and lots of strength. You said no disability...is that through her work or the state? As for the insurance, the federal subsidy was the only way we were able to maintain ours through COBRA till Hubby went back to work...is that an option for them?

H

HaoZi

Whatever happened to FMLA? Hoping the best for them and that they can get all the help they need to pull through this.

Steely

Yea, I am with Haozi - I thought she was protected with the medical leave act?????

This world - really...............I am feeling tainted.

Many many prayers of strength and good will being sent your way.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I thought I updated like twice now.......I think they got lost in cyber space somewhere. lol

Well, she would've been protected by FMLA had she been there long enough.........she's only been with this job 4 months. She left the last hospital she worked for when they changed owners and management went into the toilet.

She did speak with her nurse manager in addition to HR and her manager told her she would get her sign on bonus (no small sum) and not to worry about her job. That bonus will help a lot.

sister in law normally doesn't get insurance through his job because working for hospitals hers is always better.......so he'll be signing up for his before they lose this one, and from what he's been told they shouldn't deny her coverage even for this treatment. Still, I told him what Janet said so he knows to ask medicaid if they run into a hitch with insurance. Thanks Janet, I didn't know they did that for people.

So some of the panic has backed off a tad. Money is still going to be an issue..........but I plan to help them see how much they waste without realizing it and help them to tighten the belt.

I was really worried until easy child spoke to her manager that she'd lose her job......but manager was very understanding. So that was a big weight lifted.

She's home now. I hope he gave her good pain medications. I know she asked for a muscle relaxant (a strong one) as the muscle spasms had her in agony last night. Word is about a week for the cast. Swelling is not improving yet, but at least it's not getting worse.

Thank you all for the bead rattling, good thoughts, and prayers. And thanks a ton for the ideas too.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
It is my understanding that she hadn't worked there long enough to get FMLA protection. Employers do NOT like FMLA so they are real sticklers about you meeting each and every single criteria. I actually had the HR dept at a bank deliberately give me false info and had them put a ton of pressure on my boss so that I would come back before FMLA kicked in after an injury. They also fought the worker's comp claim for a very long time.

DO apply for both medicaid for the injury AND ask the hospital about programs to cut the costs for those with-o insurance. even with a good income I have seen hospital bills cut 70-95% for the uninsured. Also apply for the federal cobra subsidy. It paid 80% of the cost for us.

You are right about cutting corners. While she is laid up, go and spend $20 or so at a big bookstore or find online the "Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Daczyian. There are 3 indiv volumes and an all-3-in-1 volume. Get the 3 in 1. It has a LOT of articles about how to be a tightwad in every aspect of your life. It has been an economic miracle for us in many ways. I not only had the 3 books when they came out, I also had to get the all in one volume because I wore them out. It has really GOOD cheap recipes, crafts and ideas and it presents being a tightwad in a very doable and enjoyable way - doesn't hide the fact that it is work but makes it more rewarding and a lifestyle change rather than making you feel deprived. My husband was a spendthrift, never bought used anything, if he was done using something it was tossed in the trash rather than sold or given away because it was "useless", etc.... He now really enjoys many of the tightwad things that he never thought he would.

They will come through this but encourage her to also see a therapist - the trauma is going to have a huge impact on her PTSD wise. She will NEED some help coping.

Be super careful about allowing katie to help. M and Katie are scammers and if they think they can take advantage of easy child and sister in law, they will. It would be nice if she rose to the occasion in a good way, but experience with gfgbro has proved that it won't happen. And he hasn't done even half of what either of those two have. IF she cannot see them go and get something out of her stockpile, or it isn't locked up, they will take personal hygeine, cleaning, almost anything. Just because they can. It would be nice for you and husband and Nichole to have katie there to help, but it will be more risk than it is worth. Plus, with all the ways you know she abused her kids, and what you suspect, it just isn't safe for her to be around the other grandkids. It would be a risk to their safety on every level.

Sorry to have to say that, but sometimes in a crisis you want to count on people and then you end up even worse off. easy child would never forgive herself if this accident was a reason for katie to babysit (even at easy child's house with easy child there) and the kids were hurt in any way. She doesn't deserve that.

Sending lots of hugs. Churches very well may be helpful - but you have to call more than just one or two usually.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie I'll look up that volume, heck now you got me wanting to read it. lol

As for katie......yeah, we got her number loud and clear. easy child wouldn't even let her in the door without sister in law or one of us there. I know she wouldn't accept help from her. Too much past there and easy child wouldn't hear of it. And all that other stuff you mentioned as well.

Casey, I know she is really enjoying your texts. lol

tiredmommy

Sending prayers and {{{hugs}}}. Get easy child on sister in law's insurance asap. Her job status has changed as a result of this accident and that is a qualifying reason for her to be added mid-year without a physical or declaration of pre-existing conditions.

M

ML

Adding my good thoughts and prayers to the collective board power. She has one very strong positive going for her... YOU!

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know they are in my daylies! Hugs! (I don't think stockpiling laundry detergent is silly) lol........(counts bottles again) lol .......