EI classified, how much extra funding for the student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horserider

My difficult child just transitioned a month ago back to his high school from a jjc residential/theraputic program. We had an IEP meeting his first day back. He is in an on-line Algebra 2 class that he is failing because he has no teacher support and needs help understanding the lectures/lessons. There are no regular classes offered because he is taking the beginning of the Algebra2 "A", at the last semester, when most of the students are in Algebra2 "B".

With an Emotional Imparied Classification, I was wondering how much extra money the school gets for my difficult child. I have never asked for an aid, he went to the resource room one hour a day last year. This year he is in two co-taught classes with his resource room teacher from last year. If he fails this Algebra class, he does not graduate on time - a huge goal next year. If they don't have a qualified math teacher available that hour what can I do to get him help? Can I insist they bring someone in? He can go for after school tutoring two days a week, but they are responsible for his learning the concepts/skills in school.

Any suggestions? I have been working with his teacher consultant and counselor the last 3 weeks. They finally had a Special Education teacher come one day last week and help him, but I do not believe she is certified in math.

Thanks,
horserider

dadside

I don't believe it is a matter of classification X equals dollars Y. Even if it did, that shouldn't concern you as a parent of a student with an IEP. Rather, focus on your son's needs. Eligibility determines the right to services uinder an IEP. Exactly what services are determined by the IEP "team", which includes school staff, you, and some other people you can invite (like an advocate, for example). The services are not driven by the classification, but rather by need. Your concern, and the school's responsibility is to provide what the IEP calls for. Period. Their budget is not a consideration of the mandate that they follow the IEP. If you are not happy with the IEP, you can ask for a new meeting to revise it, or you can appeal using certain procedures.

There is a lot more information needed to judge what they should do, which is where an advocaate might be helpful. In some areas, you can get one without cost. Ask through your state's "Parent Training and Information Center". My simple answer to the matter of teacher availability at a particular time is to change either your son's or the teacher's schedule. It is rather late in the year to get him through his current math coourse. And if he does pass, won't next semester be the same issue of "out of synch" with other students. All this means you should "hold their feet to the fire". You can apreciate their likely budget problems. You should be flexible in exactly what they do (if a teacher is really helping in math, I'd not worry about their subject certification), but you should expect them to implement the IEP now.

Status
Not open for further replies.