Embarrassing question...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok. I've done gymnastics and swimming for years (ummm...many years ago), and never had this problem. For the last year I've had RAGING athlete's foot. I've gone through cans of the OTC spray, but nothing is helping. My feet feel like they have a blow torch under them.

I've done away with all my shoes and socks. Lovely expense. I bathe them multiple times a day, then air dry.

I daily clean my shower with clorox. I can't stand to wear shoes. The second there is any moisture, I'm on fire.

I've been looking online for help, which has not been that positive. But, the one thing that comes up is Tea Tree Oil. Anyone tried it?

What I've read is that once you get this, especially if it gets bad...it's a tough road to get under control.

Abbey

klmno

Hi, Abbey! I would ask the pharmicist- if you're too embaressed to ask in person, you can call and ask. I had something wierd going on with my hands as a teenager- they itched, stang, and skin was peeling off. The doctor said it was similar to a severe case of athlete's foot and recommended an over-the-counter cream. The cream worked, amazingly enough. I've been trying to remember the name of it but with so many difficult child issues over the past couple of years, the only thing that comes to mind is lamictol- which of course, is not a cream. I still see this cream in pharmacy sections of stores- with athlete's foot remedies- but it is one that is usually overlooked because it's not the typical powder, etc.

Good Luck!

klmno

It might be something like "lactium"- it comes in a tube in a box- similar to ADHD - Oh- no, that would be AD&D ---

LOL!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I haven't done the cream, but the powder spray and liquid spray. It's just really annoying and painful.

Who has time to do the 2x day vinegar thingy??? I suppose I have to give it a try.

Thanks for the advice.

Abbey

nvts

Abbey: you could be irritating the skin. Curel and Dr. Scholls make creams called "Ultra Overnight Foot Cream". They are not for Athlete's foot but contain Aloe & palm oil.

Sometimes with the powders, creams, ointments, etc. the constant washing (several times a day) you could be drying out the skin SO much that your damaging the skin.

Pick up a tube of one of these creams, wash your feet at night, put the cream on (it's super thick) and then put clean WHITE socks on and sleep with them on. Before you put your socks on in the morning, put some cream on again. You SHOULD see improvement within 2 days time. There are different conditions that can mimic Athletes foot but there's no fungus.

Good luck!

Oh and by the way, there's nothing to be embarrassed about...athletes foot is a lot less of an uncomfortable examination than other body parts that have to be diagnosed!! :D

Beth

Sara PA

Ex-swimmer here. I use the creams with miconazole nitrate. That's the only antifungal that works for me. But that's me. If you've been using sprays with the same antifungal, try a different one. And I never had any luck with the sprays except for my swimmer's ears. Not the arosal, the pump spray. Squirt it right in my ear. The aerosol never worked.

It's Lamisil, not Lamictal. :laughing: That active ingredient is onychomycosis. It never worked for me but I've always heard it's suppose to be really good. I don't know if it's a difference in the person or the particular fungus that makes one antifungal work for some people but not for others.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Abbey: you could be irritating the skin. Curel and Dr. Scholls make creams called "Ultra Overnight Foot Cream". They are not for Athlete's foot but contain Aloe & palm oil.

Sometimes with the powders, creams, ointments, etc. the constant washing (several times a day) you could be drying out the skin SO much that your damaging the skin.

Pick up a tube of one of these creams, wash your feet at night, put the cream on (it's super thick) and then put clean WHITE socks on and sleep with them on. Before you put your socks on in the morning, put some cream on again. You SHOULD see improvement within 2 days time. There are different conditions that can mimic Athletes foot but there's no fungus.

Good luck!

Oh and by the way, there's nothing to be embarrassed about...athletes foot is a lot less of an uncomfortable examination than other body parts that have to be diagnosed!! :D

Beth

Oh, my. Another shopping trip.:D They are just so sore. But, when I put on my 30+ pair of white socks, the moisture is too much. I will try this. Thanks for the advice.

Abbey

Tea tree oil may very well work.

I have dandruff SO BAD in the summer, and tea tree oil wipes it out. I know it is not the same condition, but it is a similar annoyance.

I also had athletes foot for awhile back a few years ago. Gold bond powder worked best for me.

witzend

Abbey, you should know that in response to your post I finally gave in and looked at my big toe which has been throbbing. I have an infected ingrown toenail. Home remedy is to soak it four times a day (!) in warm water and shove cotton wads into it.

OUCH! They say if it doesn't clear up in 3 days to call the doctor. I had a bad one when I was about 13, and it had to be cut out. Let's hope not!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Abbey,

You know - I am such a germ-o-phobe - well I NEVER try any shoes on in any store without a change of socks - and I carry wipes - so that when I do see a sandal I'd like to try - and I don't have socks I wipe the shoe first strap and all, then try on the shoe.

I think you should probably see a podiatrist. My thought is WHAT IF - it is not athletes feet? What if it's an allergy to cotton or like me wool? If I walk on wool rugs in my bare feet in a matter of a minute my feet will lump up and are so itchy I could use sandpaper to cut the feeling.

You may have clogged sweat glands in your feet and need an antibiotic to help get rid of whatever this is. We use our feet like donkeys and hardly ever pay them attention.

If they are ragged and dry - get some alpha keri oil, and a pan of warm water and soak them for 30 mins. Then take them out of the water, pat dry and coat in Vaseline, then put your feet in baggies and put socks on top of them. When you wake up - your feet and heels will be soft after a few treatments and adjusting to sleeping in baggied feet takes a bit of doing - but I have pretty soft feet. And I love going barefoot.

Your feet my just need more oxygen - but I'm betting it's something more than athletes feet. Get it checked out - without our feet we don't get around well.

Hugs
Starbie to soft footed barbie.

Abbey

Spork Queen
They are not dry. They're the opposite. I lose a huge chunk of skin on all toes every other day. I think that is what makes them so sore. I'm off to the store today to try some of these things. Very annoying.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Abbey, the vinegar water soak is a great thing - you should make the time to do it, even if only for 5-10 mins twice a day. Pat dry - put NOTHING on your feet. They need to be DRY, not laden with lotions that block the pores and will make your feet sweat even more.

Another home remedy is, you're not going to believe this and it's gross but, if you have a dog, let him/her lick your feet. The saliva in a dogs' mouth is just the right acidity level to clear up athlete's foot.

And lastly, get thee to a sporting good store, a GOOD one, like EMS or REI, and buy yourself some nice socks that wick the moisture away from your skin. Cotton and nylon-like socks are the worst thing for you to be wearing.

Best of luck. If this doesn't help, definitely go see your DR (I think you should anyway).

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, creams, vinegar, otc remedies I get, but having your dog lick your feet---borders on the bizarre---then again if it works......but maybe your neighbor's dog????????? Hate to have my own dog get hoof and mouth disease.......

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
There is also a suggestion to urinate on one's own feet! The acid is what kills the fungus. Ahem, I haven't ever had athlete's foot, I just remember reading this.

busywend

Abbey - here is one for embarassing! I had a fungus under my breasts. It was from sweating during the day and the bra not fitting properly. It only happened in the summer.

But, now I daily put Lotrimin powder under the ladies before putting on my bra. It works perfect.

Good luck! I hope something works.

susiestar

Roll With It
It really sounds like more than athlete's foot. A dermatologist would be a good place to start with this. If you have tried all the OTC things, then you may need a stytemic antifungal or something.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ummm...don't own a dog.:confused: Maybe I could borrow my neighbor's. I'm sure she'd love that!

Got some Tea Tree oil...will try that today. Might toss in some vinegar. I actually read that cider vinegar was better.

I've also heard of the urine thing. Don't think I could go down that path.

Problem with going to a doctor is I am unemployed with no insurance. I'll try the 'natural' thing first, then as a last resort spend the bucks for the doctor.

Abbey

Stella Johnson

My difficult child gets it too. I've never in my life had it so this was new for me. We saw a show about it on Oprah. Was one of the ones with Dr Oz. He suggested boiling tea and soaking your feet in it.
Cured her in 2 days.