Got Wee's "schedule"

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And (drum roll please) here it is! (And remember, he has 2 sped teachers this year, not just one, and this is the child who does not transition well, and ended last year entirely in the sped room, except for lunch, recess, Occupational Therapist (OT), and specials (of which he participated in less than half) and had 1 sped teacher and 1 aid....)

7:00-7:15 checkin. (SpEd & Mrs. Mainstream's rooms)
7:15-8:05 Language Arts (SpEd teacher)
8:05-8:55 Specials with-para
8:55-9:45 Science with-Mainstream (Para support)
9:45-10:15 Language Arts (SpEd)
10:15-10:45 Social Skills (SpEd teacher)
and/or
Social Studies with-Mrs. Mainstream (Para support)
10:45-11:15 Math (SpEd teacher)
11:15-11:55 Lunch & Recess with-para
11:55-12:15 Read Aloud with-Mrs. Mainstream (Para support)
12:15-12:30 Assistive Tech & check out (SpEd teacher)

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Where is he after 12:30???? That is only half a day! Good grief they have him hopping all over the place like a bunny! I am pretty darned sure no other how old is he now? 8/9? is running around like that for class.

7:15-8:05 Language Arts (SpEd teacher) 20 min.
8:05-8:55 Specials with-para 50 min
8:55-9:45 Science with-Mainstream (Para support) 50 min
9:45-10:15 Language Arts (SpEd) 30 min
10:15-10:45 Social Skills (SpEd teacher) 30 min
and/or
Social Studies with-Mrs. Mainstream (Para support)
10:45-11:15 Math (SpEd teacher) 30 mins
11:15-11:55 Lunch & Recess with-para 75 mins
11:55-12:15 Read Aloud with-Mrs. Mainstream (Para support) 20 mins

275 minutes and 75 minutes of that is lunch.

I am betting most kids classes are roughly 50 minutes long and they have what 6 a day plus lunch which would be
375 mins long. Heck Im betting even more...but maybe not. Most elementary schools dont get out until roughly 3 around here.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Janet, I think I will agree to this schedule just as soon as they sign a contract that says they can not send him home or charge him or me with ANY sort of offense if they chose to try a schedule like this again.While I am joking, I may see how much it would be to draw up a rough draft of such a contract. The boneheads have learned nothing. What happened to no para? What happened to only switching between the 2 sped teachers? I can't say I'm surprised. Hope sped dir isn't surprised when she gets a nasty-gram from me tomorrow.

L

Liahona

This looks like a middle school or high school day instead of an elementary day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Where he's at? Home, or grandma's, or a babysitter when I can find one.
He hasn't gone a full day since Pretty Boy worked his magic when Wee was in first grade. That's another "issue". When we met last on June 30, they were just fine with extending his day at least another 15 minutes (its in his IEP that we extend by 15 minutes every 3 or 4 weeks (i don't recall specifics) that he maintains behavior)...it took them 2 months after the first period was met to decide we could extend it without having an IEP meeting. So he should have been extended by 45 minutes, not 15. SO - they offered that he could start this year off with at least an extra 15 minutes. But no one told the person that was charged with drafting this schedule...She was also not aware we were told he wouldn't have a para.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And will someone please explain to me how a child who is no where near grade level on anything but math (and not grade level on math, just closer) is going to learn ANYTHING in a classroom that is teaching to children who are 3 years ahead of him academically?
And that assistive tech at the end of his day? I thought that was to be in the classroom...you know, to ASSIST him with his academics. Not to play on at the end of the day. Gonna be an interesting meeting tomorrow night.

susiestar

Roll With It
Shari, instead of complaining just ask the sped director to send you some of the crack she is smoking. Your child is ENTITLED to FAPE in the LRE. NO WAY is this short day meeting that. Neither are all these changes.

I KNOW you don't like to be in their faces, but it is time to find a lawyer to work on your/his behalf. Whatever advocate you had/have isn't cutting it. Call the state board of ed and see if they have a civil rights dept like midwestmom found to hel pwith Jumper. This has gone on way too long. He won't learn in these classes. He is a SMART kid, just not a traditionally smart kid.

I sincerely think you need to send a request for them to share the crack they were smoking when they dreamed up this "schedule" and academic plan for him. Let them know that with-o the crack you have NO way of understanding how any of this is to educate your child or provide FAPE in LRE. Yes, it may be an offensive request, but it is the ONLY rational explanation for why they keep coming up with this garbage.

And as far as assistive tech, he needs to be trained to use an alphasmart (or the current version of one) and given one to use all day.

by the way, thank you is in 6th grade and only has 7 changes in his day. He will be 12 in Dec.

JJJ

Seriously, you need to either sue them or move. They are not getting it. We have an absolutely beautiful program up here for kids like Wee. It starts in 1st grade and runs through 8th called "Social-Emotional Learning Foundations". I'm sure we can find a house or two for sale up here. (Just leave the Brooms down there!!)

slsh

member since 1999
Shari- I know you're going to be shocked to hear this from me (again), but they are continuing to deny him FAPE in LRE by keeping that day cut so short. Really, I'm astonished this bologna is still going on - it's been 2 years now. There is no medical reason for the shortened day. It is for the convenience of SD staff, because they cannot get un-craniorectally inverted long enough to figure out how not to trigger him, as grossly evidenced by this ridiculous schedule.

I don't see an end in sight, and Wee doesn't have a snowball's chance of catching up academically on an abbreviated schedule. I don't mean to sound so blunt, but.... when does this end? I don't see SD providing FAPE unless/until you force their hand in absolutely no uncertain terms, i.e. lawsuit for discrimination based on disability. Cuz that's what this is, pure and simple - they are not educating him *because* of his disability.

I would bet that with the documentation the SD has so generously provided you for 2+ years now, you could probably get a top notch sped atty to take this on pro bono.

I'm just so sorry that it continues on, ad nauseum.

B

BeachPeace

And will someone please explain to me how a child who is no where near grade level on anything but math (and not grade level on math, just closer) is going to learn ANYTHING in a classroom that is teaching to children who are 3 years ahead of him academically?

This is why at the end of last year (around April) we had a huge meeting and insisted that Blue be educated in the Special Education class - here they call it the MD Class (multi-disabilities) They wanted to banter around with me about social skills, papa support etc and and finally I said something like "if he is coloring in the back of the class - how is that helping him in any way?"
"You are all "entertaining him" so he does not disturb the regular students - then call me up here when he has a meltdown because you pull him in and out of class 15 times per day!"
They finally consented and he started that in May before school was out. Almost immediately - he stopped having the super meltdowns and was much happier.
This year started yesterday and I am very optimistic - they have the class all set up for him to be in there full-time and he is very excited.

It did take lots of work to make that happen .... It almost makes me sick to think of what he went through before.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Not shocked, Sue. Fully expected it from you (and others :sigh:- is alright, cause you're right). I have tried to play nice because you get more flies with honey, however, its painfully obvious it isn't working.

I have a nasty-gram drawn up and I'm running it by the rest of the crew to have it ok'ed before I send it.

keista

Not shocked, Sue. Fully expected it from you (and others :sigh:- is alright, cause you're right). I have tried to play nice because you get more flies with honey, however, its painfully obvious it isn't working.

I have a nasty-gram drawn up and I'm running it by the rest of the crew to have it ok'ed before I send it.

I had an advocate who taught me the difference between 'playing nice' and "playing nice" = think passive aggressive

B

BeachPeace

Keista - you may have to teach me. After trying to be nice for 2 years - then being forced to get ugly to help Blue.... I hate the feeling that I get around some school personnel. Kind of like - "I am smiling at you because I have too, but I hate your guts"
They have done what he needed, but it has def left a strained relationship.

Shari - hang in there - I am thinking about you and sending hugs.

DammitJanet

You need to get this over with now. I putzed around because I didnt know any better with Cory. I had done Special Education with Billy but had little to no experience with the behavioral side of things and let them push me around when they told me Cory simply didnt fit into the behaviorally and emotionally handicapped classes in elementary school...nor would they make any real accommodations for him. We went through his entire K-5 years without an IEP even though he was on disability, going to mental health daily, had a behavior tech with him daily. And at the end of grade 5 he went to a wilderness camp! I cant tell you how many meetings we had and I begged for help and they placated me and promised to help or they blamed me for his problems. Many times their solutions were to send him home. Sometimes they sent him home an hour after he arrived at school. Big of them.

Cory adored school back then too. I always wondered about that. I kept telling them that if they continued the hateful behavior towards him one day he would hate school. Guess what? It happened.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Wow - that is a TON of transitions.

Looks like a new teacher every 30 to 50 minutes....so he does not even get to spend an hour with the same person.

And why is Language Arts/Reading split up like that? Couldn't he just have a block of time in which to work on "English Language Arts" - which should include reading aloud?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Say a prayer boys and girls, cause the nasty-gram is getting sent with support from everyone on the team.

keista

BeachPeace, I'm still learning it myself, that advocate was a pro at it. It didnt' hurt that she really knew her stuff, and I find that's part of the key. The more confident you are in your knowledge the easier it is to pull off - kinda like bluffing in poker, I guess.