granddaughter

Teriobe

I have my granddaughter for this month. Parents call her hyper. I notice all the moving about is because shes holding her pee for as long as she can. And then dribbles alittle. I have a strong nose and can smell it. Shes 9

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
That is a sing of psychological stress. No doubt the poor child is not 100% well adjusted given her circumstances. I hope they seek counseling for her of some sort. The inocent victims are often the children.

Teriobe

No doctor. Bedwetting has been a problem her whole life. I know her mom and boyfriend argue alot. But she had problems when there was no boyfriend. My son didnt live with her and mom since age 2. We know she sleeps super hard and is suprised herself when she wakes up wet. If i cut her drinks off early and wake her up earlier than letting her sleep in, that works sometimes. We cant figure it out. She was here for 2wks no problems, then peed bed 2 in a row wtf. And my house is very quiet and calm. Her mom and i cant figure her out.

BusynMember

It can be a physical problem. My son had an immature bladder and wet until he was 12. He went in his sleep. This is not just a psychological problem but often a common physical problem. I wiuld want to take her to a pediatric urologist. She could start getting teased at school if she smells of urine.

Good luck.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I agree the bed wetting. But holding during the day until she wets, may be more of a concern or she may just be highly distracable and not want to break away from activity to go pee. This is usually the case with much younger children though.

StillStanding

I agree that I would start with a doctor to rule out any physical issues.

However, young children who feel like they have no control in their lives sometimes use body functions to exert control.

susiestar

Roll With It
When she is with you, get her in the habit of going to the bathroom at regular times, no matter what, no excuses. Use a timer or alarm, say for every 2 hours. At a bit younger, the doctor said that bathroom breaks every 2 hours were a minimum requirement for kids. This was a school issue with my son due to an idiot teacher, but the info has stuck in my brain, 2 hours for kids and at least every 3-4 for adults.

Why set a timer and establish this habit? You are training her bladder and her brain. It will hopefully help. One thing people with adhd do is hyperfocus on things they are really interested in. They ignore everything else. For all intents and purposes, nothing else exists. When they focus so intently, they are not paying attention to their bodies or anything else except what they are doing, be it a game, movie, etc.... Their body may fidget but they don't know it. Their brain is in the game or whatever. My oldest focuses that way or else he does not focus.

This is sort of typical of adhd.

She may not be adhd, this isn't the way to tell. Many kids do the same thing because they don't want to stop the game or whatever. Often if they stop, Mom/Dad/Teacher/Adult-in-Charge won't let them come back to it. So they don't want to stop in case they cannot come back.

Use the timer, but don't make it a punishment or the end of her fun thing. If she has to stop something, make that thing stop at a time different from the timer. Or use a free alarm clock program on the computer that plays Christmas Bells for the toilet and Jungle Roars for stopping the game. Just something different and a different time to stop each thing. Let her come back to her game for a few minutes, PITA as that can be to stop again, after she goes to the bathroom.

Holding it until you dribble can cause health problems and infections. I had a neighbor growing up who did this and he ended up in the hospital. He just kept holding it and holding it, and his bladder got irritated and then infected to the point he almost died. I am not saying your granddau will, just that this habit should be started early. My neighbor's parents were read the riot act for not getting him in to see a urologist earlier. He did the wait until he dribbled thing for years - he was a teen and was known to do it so long that he had some ugly nicknames among the older kids.

Push your daughter to get her into a urologist to rule out a structural or physical cause before they look for a psychological cause. Psychological causes should always be the last one you look for, not the first. Establishing regular toileting habits can go a long way toward helping though.

Crayola13

I have my granddaughter for this month. Parents call her hyper. I notice all the moving about is because shes holding her pee for as long as she can. And then dribbles alittle. I have a strong nose and can smell it. Shes 9
It can be anxiety or a medical condition. I have also known parents who said their children put off going to the bathroom because they were busy doing other things and just ignored it.