Herbert...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:crying: Herbert's gone. difficult child 1 found some scattered feathers in the yard this afternoon, a few with skin attached. We think a large red tail hawk got her because we saw it circling not far off. No other signs anywhere. easy child is devastated. Never thought I'd be so attached to a chicken... really going to miss her... difficult child 1 is mad and took off on his bike. difficult child 2 is overwhelmed and dealing with it by sleeping. I can't stop crying... this just bites.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I kind of hate to ask and don't know if I could bring myself to do it but....has anyone (adult) looked for her just in case?

I know....grasping at straws probably but ........

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OMG. How sad. I think your chicken was the sweetest thing. I am so sorry. Sending hugs. I think I have something in my eye cuz I know I am not crying. Nope not me.

hugs
beth

Marg's Man

Marg and I have followed the story of Herbert with our own fond memories of the life and times we have had with our chooks over the 15 + years we have kept them. The joys of new chicks, the frustrations of crowing roosters, the reprieve Rhett the rooster got when he 'trod' our stroppiest hen on the branch of a tree, the sadness of losing a whole family of chicks to foxes...

The first lot (I cannot remember exactly how many, more than four) we lost to foxes so, even in this, we have have shared experiences.

This is one of those times when you have to "get back on the horse that just bucked you off". Keeping animals, whether for food or as pets (Herbert's eggs meant you got both from her) is great training for life for easy child's and G'sFG.

Don't mourn her (too much) but value the enjoyment that she gave you/us all.

Marg's Man

Andy

Brought back memories of the day my sisters and I got off the school bus (our uncle was the driver) to a lawn full of feathers. Our dog had gotten all the white chickens. Never did find even a feather of the bantees (we think they escaped into the swamp). It was a horrid sight! Our parents weren't going to be home for another hour or more and I wanted to stay on the bus and not face it. I was a teenager. I don't remember getting off the bus and I think our uncle may have come back after delivering the other kids home. I know how shocking it is to see feathers scattered after a tragedy.

I am so sorry! :( Oh Herbert!

(we had to find a new home for our dog before he found his way to the neighbors for their chickens)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so devastated at the thought of that sweet little Hen actually gone.
Big soft hugs tonight and a shoulder.
Sweet little Sherbert Rest in peace.